Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

netcup Easter specials
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

netcup Easter specials

I didn't see any mention of this yearly promotion.

I just picked up the VPS Ostern S OST20 for 5.50 EUR per month, which I find a pretty good deal.

Anybody find any interesting eggs so far this year at netcup.de?

Comments

• angstromangstrom Moderator

You haven't looked at the Easter megathread? netcup have been mentioned several times there.

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • xiaozxiaoz Member

Hello, I also purchased this package. But there's a question, is the next pay cycle a recurring discount?

@xiaoz said:
    Hello, I also purchased this package. But there's a question, is the next pay cycle a recurring discount?

Congrats on your first post

Yes, if you mean their Easter promotion for 5,50 EUR / month, then this price is recurring (so in a year, you could renew at the same price).

Since you're new here, be aware that you have agreed to a contract of 12 months that will be automatically be renewed for another 12 months unless you explicitly cancel the contract at least 31 days before the present contract ends. You can cancel the present contract by clicking on a button in the billing panel. (netcup have a strict cancellation policy -- it's important that you understand this.)

Thanked by 1xiaoz
  • snzsnz Member
    edited April 2020

Here is a small script to scrape for the eggs. Just leave it running in the background :)

https://pastebin.com/jYE617Zd

Results so far: https://imgur.com/a/TqbdMkW

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • FalzoFalzo Member

@snz said:
    Here is a small script to scrape for the eggs. Just leave it running in the background :)

interesting, thanks! though the links are not transferable as the hidden_key thing is session-bound, so you can't open/order the things within a different browser/computer...

did you get a glance on what the root-server mega-ei contains? I did not came across that one before.

@snz said:

Hey, that other thread has taught me not to run scripts that longstanding members post! :wink:

@snz said:

And I've been so naively just clicking on eggs!

Am still tempted by the VPS S, assuming that it's still available ...

• snzsnz Member
    edited April 2020

@Falzo said:

interesting, thanks! though the links are not transferable as the hidden_key thing is session-bound, so you can't open/order the things within a different browser/computer...

did you get a glance on what the root-server mega-ei contains? I did not came across that one before.

It's a "RS 4000 G8SE" with more SSD for 19€/M. Same like the "Spring-Sale" offer.
    https://www.netcup-sonderangebote.de/vserver/root-server-4000-wsv2020/

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • FalzoFalzo Member

angstrom said: Hey, that other thread has taught me not to run scripts that longstanding members post!

congrats on your learning! :+1: :smiley:

btw: is ~20 posts in 4 years long-standing? ;-) did you even check? ;-) also, you should not run things blindly - here it's on pastebin, so you have the easy chance to read it directly even before copying it...

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • So, I grabbed VPS Monster Egg OST20 and now I am waiting for the verification.

• neikneik Member

I've seen that over on the Netcup-Forum some of the Easter servers were tagged as Generation 9.
    Does anyone have further information regarding these servers? Are they finally AMD Epyc based?

• AstroAstro Member

I had a pretty bad experience with them with these deals. I found the VPS I needed and placed orders for the eggs I had found. I placed an order with my current residential address. I sent in my ID which had my permanent address. They said it didnt match and asked me to place the order again.

Now all of the items are sold out. I requested them to change teh address on the order if possible. I am sure people move locations after buying things with them. Their reply was just saying there is no guarantee that it would be available today even though I put in my order yesterday.

@BarkingIron said:
    I had a pretty bad experience with them with these deals. I found the VPS I needed and placed orders for the eggs I had found. I placed an order with my current residential address. I sent in my ID which had my permanent address. They said it didnt match and asked me to place the order again.

Now all of the items are sold out. I requested them to change teh address on the order if possible. I am sure people move locations after buying things with them. Their reply was just saying there is no guarantee that it would be available today even though I put in my order yesterday.

Congrats on your first post

Well, if your addresses didn't match, how was that their fault?

• Hey @BarkingIron you have created a thread already now jumped on here to write the same thing. Why?

You failed their ID process by the looks of it as you used incorrect information.

• AstroAstro Member

@LeonDynamic said:
    Hey @BarkingIron you have created a thread already now jumped on here to write the same thing. Why?

You failed their ID process by the looks of it as you used incorrect information.

Is it really that weird to have a permanent address on the ID and a different residential address temporarily? I just think it was slightly uncalled for that they werent willing to allow me to replace the same order with new info or allow me to change the info. Thats all

Thanked by 1NanoG6

@BarkingIron said:

@LeonDynamic said:
    Hey @BarkingIron you have created a thread already now jumped on here to write the same thing. Why?

Is it really that weird to have a permanent address on the ID and a different residential address temporarily? I just think it was slightly uncalled for that they werent willing to allow me to replace the same order with new info or allow me to change the info. Thats all

Sorry, but this wasn't worth both a comment and a thread

netcup have no idea who you are, so if they ask for matching addresses, then give them matching addresses. Don't be so vain as to imagine that you're getting special treatment

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • AstroAstro Member

@angstrom said:

@BarkingIron said:

@LeonDynamic said:

netcup have no idea who you are, so if they ask for matching addresses, then give them matching addresses. Don't be so vain as to imagine that you're getting special treatment

Definitely not asking for special treatment. I offered to match the addresses. If I wanted to hide something I wouldnt have handed over my ID. When I requested to allow me to replace the other it was pretty much that it may not be available.

edited April 2020

@BarkingIron said:

@angstrom said:

@BarkingIron said:

@LeonDynamic said:

Definitely not asking for special treatment. I offered to match the addresses. If I wanted to hide something I wouldnt have handed over my ID. When I requested to allow me to replace the other it was pretty much that it may not be available.

By "so vain as to imagine that you're getting special treatment" I meant that you then ran here to sign up and immediately posted a comment and started a matching thread about this matter (as though you had been subjected to some special unjust treatment).

Listen, it's not for them to change your address details for you. Instead, it's for you to get your address details right when ordering. They simply asked you to start again and to reorder since they rejected your first attempt.

• AstroAstro Member

@angstrom said:

@BarkingIron said:

@angstrom said:

@BarkingIron said:

@LeonDynamic said:

By "so vain as to imagine that you're getting special treatment" I meant that you then ran here to sign up and immediately posted a comment and started a matching thread about this matter (as though you had been subjected to some special unjust treatment).

Listen, it's not for them to change your address details for you. Instead, it's for you to get your address details right when ordering. They simply asked you to start again and to reorder since they rejected your first attempt.

You know I am not really an unreasonable man. All I am saying is if I went through the effort of being their customer the least they could have done is to allow me to reorder instead of saying oh sorry not available today. I am sure its not really a foreign concept to be moving around but just have one permanent address on your ID. And seriously if I wanted to fake it, doesnt take long to come with a fake ID. I furnished an original one as my part of the deal.

@BarkingIron said:

@angstrom said:

@BarkingIron said:

@angstrom said:

@BarkingIron said:

@LeonDynamic said:

You know I am not really an unreasonable man. All I am saying is if I went through the effort of being their customer the least they could have done is to allow me to reorder instead of saying oh sorry not available today. I am sure its not really a foreign concept to be moving around but just have one permanent address on your ID. And seriously if I wanted to fake it, doesnt take long to come with a fake ID. I furnished an original one as my part of the deal.

Just for the record, I never said that you intended to commit fraud. Perhaps you're a good guy and you simply didn't pass their fraud test. You need to bear in mind that netcup is a German company and that they have certain Germany-centric business habits. In Germany, if you have two IDs with different addresses, it looks suspicious.

As I understand it, they simply asked you to place your order again with a consistent address. I don't find this to be an outrageous request, but if you do find it to be an outrageous request, then just move on: if you feel this way, then netcup aren't for you.

Yeah, I know, that particular Easter egg may not reappear. Well, then, so be it: it's not the end of the world.

• FalzoFalzo Member

maybe simply clarify that it's your secondary address and send in further verification things like a power bill with your name under that address on it?

or just move on and realize that this provider simply is not for you and it won't work out in the long rund anyway ;-)

• VPS Ostern M

Basic System Information:
    ---------------------------------
    Processor  : QEMU Virtual CPU version 2.5+
    CPU cores  : 4 @ 1996.249 MHz
    AES-NI     : ✔ Enabled
    VM-x/AMD-V : ❌ Disabled
    RAM        : 15Gi
    Swap       : 0B
    Disk       : 314G

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):
    Block Size | 4kb           (IOPS) | 64kb          (IOPS)
      ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ----
    Read       | 174.28 MB/s  (43.5k) | 1.99 GB/s    (31.1k)
    Write      | 174.74 MB/s  (43.6k) | 2.00 GB/s    (31.2k)
    Total      | 349.03 MB/s  (87.2k) | 3.99 GB/s    (62.4k)
               |                      |
    Block Size | 512kb         (IOPS) | 1mb           (IOPS)
      ------   | -----          ----  | ---            ----
    Read       | 3.66 GB/s     (7.1k) | 3.67 GB/s     (3.5k)
    Write      | 3.86 GB/s     (7.5k) | 3.91 GB/s     (3.8k)
    Total      | 7.53 GB/s    (14.7k) | 7.58 GB/s     (7.4k)

Geekbench 4 Benchmark Test:
    Test            | Value
                    |
    Single Core     | 4088
    Multi Core      | 9014
    Full Test       | https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/15396966

Thanked by 2angstrom neik
  • neikneik Member

@isunbejo said:
    VPS Ostern M

> 
    > Basic System Information:
    > ---------------------------------
    > Processor  : QEMU Virtual CPU version 2.5+
    > CPU cores  : 4 @ 1996.249 MHz
    > AES-NI     : ✔ Enabled
    > VM-x/AMD-V : ❌ Disabled
    > RAM        : 15Gi
    > Swap       : 0B
    > Disk       : 314G
    > 
    > fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):
    > Block Size | 4kb           (IOPS) | 64kb          (IOPS)
    >   ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ----
    > Read       | 174.28 MB/s  (43.5k) | 1.99 GB/s    (31.1k)
    > Write      | 174.74 MB/s  (43.6k) | 2.00 GB/s    (31.2k)
    > Total      | 349.03 MB/s  (87.2k) | 3.99 GB/s    (62.4k)
    >            |                      |
    > Block Size | 512kb         (IOPS) | 1mb           (IOPS)
    >   ------   | -----          ----  | ---            ----
    > Read       | 3.66 GB/s     (7.1k) | 3.67 GB/s     (3.5k)
    > Write      | 3.86 GB/s     (7.5k) | 3.91 GB/s     (3.8k)
    > Total      | 7.53 GB/s    (14.7k) | 7.58 GB/s     (7.4k)
    > 
    > Geekbench 4 Benchmark Test:
    > Test            | Value
    >                 |
    > Single Core     | 4088
    > Multi Core      | 9014
    > Full Test       | https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/15396966
    > 
    > 

This answered my question from above.
    Did some quick search and if the clock speed is the base clock then this could be 64-cores Epycs.
    Unfortunately, no official information is available yet - at least not to my knowledge.

• snzsnz Member

cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep bugs

Meltdown?

• Ponury_TypPonury_Typ Member
    edited April 2020

VPS Monster-Ei OST20 benchmark:

# ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #
    #              Yet-Another-Bench-Script              #
    #                     v2020-02-10                    #
    # https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script #
    # ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #

Tue 14 Apr 2020 09:20:28 AM CEST

Basic System Information:
    Processor  : QEMU Virtual CPU version 2.5+
    CPU cores  : 16 @ 1996.248 MHz
    AES-NI     : ✔ Enabled
    VM-x/AMD-V : ❌ Disabled
    RAM        : 62Gi
    Swap       : 0B
    Disk       : 2.0T

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):
    Block Size | 4kb           (IOPS) | 64kb          (IOPS)
      ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ---- 
    Read       | 168.68 MB/s  (42.1k) | 2.07 GB/s    (32.4k)
    Write      | 169.12 MB/s  (42.2k) | 2.09 GB/s    (32.6k)
    Total      | 337.81 MB/s  (84.4k) | 4.16 GB/s    (65.1k)
               |                      |                     
    Block Size | 512kb         (IOPS) | 1mb           (IOPS)
      ------   | -----          ----  | ---            ---- 
    Read       | 3.64 GB/s     (7.1k) | 3.72 GB/s     (3.6k)
    Write      | 3.84 GB/s     (7.5k) | 3.97 GB/s     (3.8k)
    Total      | 7.48 GB/s    (14.6k) | 7.69 GB/s     (7.5k)

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):
    Provider                  | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed     
                              |                           |                 |                
    Bouygues Telecom          | Paris, FR (10G)           | 996 Mbits/sec   | 961 Mbits/sec  
    Online.net                | Paris, FR (10G)           | 969 Mbits/sec   | 956 Mbits/sec  
    WorldStream               | The Netherlands (10G)     | busy            | busy           
    wilhelm.tel               | Hamburg, DE (10G)         | 999 Mbits/sec   | 962 Mbits/sec  
    Biznet                    | Bogor, Indonesia (1G)     | 672 Mbits/sec   | 366 Mbits/sec  
    Hostkey                   | Moscow, RU (1G)           | 472 Mbits/sec   | 658 Mbits/sec  
    Velocity Online           | Tallahassee, FL, US (10G) | 848 Mbits/sec   | 851 Mbits/sec  
    Airstream Communications  | Eau Claire, WI, US (10G)  | 783 Mbits/sec   | 575 Mbits/sec  
    Hurricane Electric        | Fremont, CA, US (10G)     | busy            | 439 Mbits/sec  

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv6):
    Provider                  | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed     
                              |                           |                 |                
    Bouygues Telecom          | Paris, FR (10G)           | 979 Mbits/sec   | 944 Mbits/sec  
    Online.net                | Paris, FR (10G)           | 971 Mbits/sec   | 937 Mbits/sec  
    WorldStream               | The Netherlands (10G)     | busy            | busy           
    wilhelm.tel               | Hamburg, DE (10G)         | 998 Mbits/sec   | 948 Mbits/sec  
    Airstream Communications  | Eau Claire, WI, US (10G)  | 658 Mbits/sec   | 355 Mbits/sec  
    Hurricane Electric        | Fremont, CA, US (10G)     | busy            | 187 Mbits/sec  

Geekbench 5 Benchmark Test:
    Test            | Value                         
                    |                               
    Single Core     | 905                           
    Multi Core      | 8506                          
    Full Test       | https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/1788641

CPU info:

processor   : 15
    vendor_id   : AuthenticAMD
    cpu family  : 6
    model       : 6
    model name  : QEMU Virtual CPU version 2.5+
    stepping    : 3
    microcode   : 0x1000065
    cpu MHz     : 1996.248
    cache size  : 512 KB
    physical id : 0
    siblings    : 16
    core id     : 15
    cpu cores   : 16
    apicid      : 15
    initial apicid  : 15
    fpu     : yes
    fpu_exception   : yes
    cpuid level : 13
    wp      : yes
    flags       : fpu de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx lm nopl cpuid tsc_known_freq pni pclmulqdq ssse3 cx16 sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic popcnt aes xsave rdrand hypervisor lahf_lm cmp_legacy 3dnowprefetch ssbd ibpb vmmcall
    bugs        : fxsave_leak sysret_ss_attrs spectre_v1 spectre_v2 spec_store_bypass
    bogomips    : 3992.49
    TLB size    : 1024 4K pages
    clflush size    : 64
    cache_alignment : 64
    address sizes   : 40 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
    power management:

Thanked by 2jihchi snz
  • snzsnz Member

@Ponury_Typ said:
    vendor_id : AuthenticAMD

Ah so definitely new nodes! Now I want one :)

Also: congrats to massive idle power.

Thanked by 1Ponury_Typ
  • snzsnz Member
    edited April 2020

pff bad luck.

vendor_id : GenuineIntel

@snz said:
    pff bad luck.

vendor_id : GenuineIntel

My condolences

Yeah, it's tricky with their vServers, because they don't commit themselves to a particular CPU model

But I think that there's a good chance that it's an Intel Gold

Thanked by 1snz
  • snzsnz Member

Well, I'll ask if they can relocate it. Anyway, 8G RAM for 5.5€ is still ok I guess.

@angstrom said:
    My condolences

Thanks

Thanked by 1angstrom

@snz said: Well, I'll ask if they can relocate it. Anyway, 8G RAM for 5.5€ is still ok I guess.

I was very tempted by that offer, but in the end I decided against it simply because I need to cut down on the number of my VPSes :smiley:

Thanked by 1webcraft