Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Alien Take Over! VPS/Colo Options! - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Alien Take Over! VPS/Colo Options!

Comments

• DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

@KamalW said:

@AlienData_Josh said:
    If you have any ideas on how to make the service better please let me know. I am always open to ideas!

Control panel of the Alien ship needs a bit of learning. Some earthlings might prefer a simpler one.

The control panel is a place holder for the most part till I can finish something a tad more friendly.
    Once I get some more information on the website this weekend. I will be creating video tutorials to try to help out.
    I am sorry for the issues this may have caused.

• what is cold storage ssd/hdd/usb?

Really need to improve your website.

@doughnet said:
    what is cold storage ssd/hdd/usb?

I'm working on that this weekend.
    Cold storage.
    When you sign up for the service. I will send you a static bag and serialized/tamper sticker.
    I make documentation of the number so I know what drive is yours.

You will put your drive into the bag and seal it with the sticker. and send the drive in the bag to the DC and will be stored.

The idea behind it is an offsite backup of storage that you control.

• lentrolentro Member, Host Rep

@AlienData_Josh said:

@doughnet said:

Cold storage.
    When you sign up for the service. I will send you a static bag and serialized/tamper sticker.

You will put your drive into the bag and seal it with the sticker. and send the drive in the bag to the DC and will be stored.

This is a very, very, very interesting idea. Did I mention it was very interesting? :)

I think I should come up with something to keep up with this innovation ;)

How will customers access the data? Have the drives mailed out back?

But I think it is a bit expensive. A thumb drive for $5 monthly??? That's quite high IMHO.

• @AlienData_Josh said:

@doughnet said:

Cold storage.

How is the data able to be accessed? How is it secured to keep anyone else from accessing? How much traffic can be sent to/from and at what speed?

• doughnet said: How is the data able to be accessed?

I think you'll need a shovel.

doughnet said: How is it secured to keep anyone else from accessing?

It's in his backyard, I think it's a 24-7 secured garden gate.

doughnet said: How much traffic can be sent to/from and at what speed?

If it rained the day before, you'll have pretty good transfer speeds.

/s

• @AlienData_Josh said:

@KamalW said:

Control panel of the Alien ship needs a bit of learning. Some earthlings might prefer a simpler one.

The control panel is a place holder for the most part till I can finish something a tad more friendly.
    Once I get some more information on the website this weekend. I will be creating video tutorials to try to help out.

Well, it was a new experience for me. I hadn't used that control panel earlier. First I was wondering how to use it, but after a bit of investigation I realized that it was the providing features to carry out the usual tasks. Then it was not a problem. The vps is running well.

edited April 2020

It is cold storage. Meaning It will NOT be plugged into anything.
    $5/month is still cheaper than a lockbox.
    @lentro How much do you think would be appropriate for a thumb drive?
    You will submit a ticket asking for the drive to be shipped back when you need it. Shipping will be free for every 3 months of service.
    The drive are stored in our DC. Locked behind multiple levels of security measures.

@KamalW said:

@AlienData_Josh said:

@KamalW said:

Well, it was a new experience for me. I hadn't used that control panel earlier. First I was wondering how to use it, but after a bit of investigation I realized that it was the providing features to carry out the usual tasks. Then it was not a problem. The vps is running well.

Thank you for the kind words.
    If there is anything that I can do to make the service better or you need anything please let me know.

• @doughnet said:

@AlienData_Josh said:
    Cold storage.

How is the data able to be accessed? How is it secured to keep anyone else from accessing? How much traffic can be sent to/from and at what speed?

I think the data is not meant to be accessed online. It is that the customer needs to request the drive be given back - generally according to a pre-agreed policy. This mode of storage is used by some customers as required by their own information security policies.

• @KamalW said:

@doughnet said:

@AlienData_Josh said:
    Cold storage.

I think the data is not meant to be accessed online. It is that the customer needs to request the drive be given back - generally according to a pre-agreed policy. This mode of storage is used by some customers as required by their own information security policies.

Ah. Maybe. I assumed it’d be like aws cold storage which was accessible data still.

edited April 2020

@KamalW said:

@doughnet said:

@AlienData_Josh said:
    Cold storage.

@KamalW is correct on this. That is the reason for a client sealing the bag with the tamper sticker/serial(unique) number so the client knows that once the drive is shipped back they know the drive hasn't been messed with. From shipment to the DC->Storage->Back to client.

We do not want to know what is on the drive.
    We would recommend using either an Apricorn drive [unmarked affiliate link removed, please don't do this]
    OR some kind of encrypted drive.

So I'm redesigning the website to better help y'all folks out. What all information do you want to see on there?

Woot. IPv6 running!

• @AlienData_Josh said:
    You will submit a ticket asking for the drive to be shipped back when you need it. Shipping will be free for every 3 months of service.
    The drive are stored in our DC. Locked behind multiple levels of security measures.

So why keep it in a dc and not on my desk? It is a pretty unique Concept I must agree. But why should one pay $5/mo with no way of regularly accessing or making updates to the data archive?

edited April 2020

@seriesn said:

@AlienData_Josh said:

So why keep it in a dc and not on my desk? It is a pretty unique Concept I must agree. But why should one pay $5/mo with no way of regularly accessing or making updates to the data archive?

Valid point.
    What would do if your home/office/etc where that drive is sitting on your desk gets hit with a tornado, fire, flood, etc. and either no longer can be found/destroyed.
    There is at least a backup elsewhere.

The idea is for long term archival storage that you control.
    Although if you feel like shipping drives once a week or more. Bring it on. We will be glad to hold them and send them back within agreed terms.

*edit spelling

• @AlienData_Josh said:

@seriesn said:

@AlienData_Josh said:

Valid point.
    What would do if your home/office/etc where that drive is sitting on your desk gets hit with a tornado, fire, flood, etc. and either no longer can be found/destroyed.

Although if you feel like shipping drives once a week or more. Bring it on. We will be glad to hold them and send them back within agreed terms.

*edit spelling

Gotcha and who would be responsible for the shipping fee?
    Can the drive be accessed in person? Can one request you to connect it online in the event that one can't wait for shipping?
    What is that $5/mo offering vs a traditional bank/post office locker?

edited April 2020

@seriesn said:

@AlienData_Josh said:

@seriesn said:

@AlienData_Josh said:

Valid point.

*edit spelling

Gotcha and who would be responsible for the shipping fee?
    Can the drive be accessed in person? Can one request you to connect it online in the event that one can't wait for shipping?
    What is that $5/mo offering vs a traditional bank/post office locker?

-So you will be responsible for shipping to us.
    Every 3 months of service we will pay for shipping (once) back to you(USA).
    -As far as the traditional bank/post office locker. Nothing. Maybe cheaper.
    -Connect it online: We would have to break the seal that you put on the bag. Although the whole process can be video taped for your records. A new seal/Serial Number will be put on the bag once finished. Would need to put in a ticket if wanted to go that route.

We would prefer to keep everything offline non connected. However if the client requests it then we will make it work.

Thanked by 1seriesn
  • When did US Post offices get lockers?

@Unbelievable said:
    When did US Post offices get lockers?

Shrug
    Ask @seriesn.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@AlienData_Josh @Unbelievable I've never seen a post office in the U.S. with lockers, unless he's talking about P.O. boxes, and I would guess it's relatively easy to steal from them if you actually wanted to, since the back is completely open and you can reach in to touch other box contents. Bank safe deposit boxes are the most secure, but that's more expensive, and it's a bank...

• The only thing less secure than my PO Box is my mailbox in my apartment complex with random carriers with random rules as to if the mail is legitimate to be delivered or not.

• I meant P.O. Box guys. Jeeeeez. Smack my head while you guys at it -.-.

Bank lockbox are a decent option and something that I already use.

But would love to have an option to be able to remote store some precious old data. Specially if it can be made accessible on demand.

@seriesn said:
    I meant P.O. Box guys. Jeeeeez. Smack my head while you guys at it -.-.

Bank lockbox are a decent option and something that I already use.

But would love to have an option to be able to remote store some precious old data. Specially if it can be made accessible on demand.

Hey I was thinking that maybe you had seen something new at your local Post Office.
    But the "accessible on demand" can be arranged.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

I suppose a PO box at the post office could be pretty secure now, just put a note on it that says "COVID patient box".

• @seriesn said:

Backblaze B2 and Wasabi for that.

• @MikeA said:
    I suppose a PO box at the post office could be pretty secure now, just put a note on it that says "COVID patient box".

One of the easiest ways to be arrested by FBI.

@TimboJones said:

@seriesn said:

You have zero control over the medium for which your media is stored on with services like that.

• @AlienData_Josh said:

@TimboJones said:

@seriesn said:

You have zero control over the medium for which your media is stored on with services like that.

Sorry, maybe I misunderstand, I thought we were comparing to your "cold storage" where you promise to keep really good care of their drive? How is that "on demand"? Where do I have control storing data on one physical drive, sealed in an ESD bag, in a datacenter not owned by me or you? You can get sick, die, or injured or any reason for your business to close. The datacenter could go belly up. The drive can corrupt from bit rot, poor environmental storage, shipping handling, cosmic rays, etc. The drive needs to be mailed both ways, and doesn't move on weekends and holidays.

What control were you referring to that cold storage providers that have the data available on demand in 12 hours wouldn't have but your service does?

Meanwhile, I'm ok with experts controlling the medium the data is stored on (wtf is wrong with the current editor? Where is the quote or code button?):

11 Nines Data Durability for Backblaze B2 Cloud Storage
    At the end of the day, the technical answer is “11 nines.” That’s 99.999999999%. Conceptually, if you store 1 million objects in B2 for 10 million years, you would expect to lose 1 file. There’s a higher likelihood of an asteroid destroying Earth within a million years, but that is something we’ll get to at the end of the post.

@TimboJones said:

@AlienData_Josh said:

@TimboJones said:

@seriesn said:

Sorry, maybe I misunderstand, I thought we were comparing to your "cold storage" where you promise to keep really good care of their drive? How is that "on demand"? Where do I have control storing data on one physical drive, sealed in an ESD bag, in a datacenter not owned by me or you? You can get sick, die, or injured or any reason for your business to close. The datacenter could go belly up. The drive can corrupt from bit rot, poor environmental storage, shipping handling, cosmic rays, etc. The drive needs to be mailed both ways, and doesn't move on weekends and holidays.

What control were you referring to that cold storage providers that have the data available on demand in 12 hours wouldn't have but your service does?

Meanwhile, I'm ok with experts controlling the medium the data is stored on (wtf is wrong with the current editor? Where is the quote or code button?):

11 Nines Data Durability for Backblaze B2 Cloud Storage
    At the end of the day, the technical answer is “11 nines.” That’s 99.999999999%. Conceptually, if you store 1 million objects in B2 for 10 million years, you would expect to lose 1 file. There’s a higher likelihood of an asteroid destroying Earth within a million years, but that is something we’ll get to at the end of the post.

I am saying "on demand" if the customer wants it. I'm using that word very loosely though. The drive must be taken out of its sealed bag and plugged in. HOWEVER that is up to the client and MUST be by ticket only and understanding between the Client and Provider(Me).

I am not saying there is risk... There is risk with anything you do. If something was to happen to me. I have procedures in place to make sure things follow back to their respected owners. As far as the DC going belly up. Well I will let my lawyers take care of that.

The bit rot issue is an issue you can have rather if with me/bank/home vault.

I am just trying to offer a service to those that don't want their data at home/office/where have you. BUT also doesn't want it connected to a computer of some sort.