Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Don't trust the free VPS providers except some few really big ones
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Don't trust the free VPS providers except some few really big ones

I have not used free VPS before, because there was none. However, I have tried one over the last month, only to find out that they are liars and scammers.

One of them is the evolution-host.com. They told me that I can use their free service unless I put a link in my website, and choose to go to their designated link and put some comments there every month, when the subscription is due. The commenting will takes less than 30 seconds, as they promised me. Therefore I consider it not a big deal and decided to continue with their free VPS. However, yesterday they sent me an notification that asked me to pay a USD 20 monthly fee if I want to continue with their service. In conclusion, they only provide you with an one month free trial, while during that one month period, my site has helped greatly in promoting their service, because my site has a quite significant traffic and is well known in the industry. They have gained enough popularity and exposure owing to my promotion, therefore they think it's no more useful to let me enjoy their free VPS. And I have to look for new service provider which took me a whole night last night. As a whole, I have gained nothing from this one month period, because I have a paid service which will only expire a week later, while evolution-host has acquired some fame due to my linkage.

Another free VPS provider, euserv.com, is offering you very bad experiences. It's hard to ssh login, and it's very hard to perform commands while logged in. And finally it gave me the following message after some operations:
Connection closing...Socket close.
Connection closed by foreign host.
Disconnected from remote host(euserv) at 09:33:37.
And then I can never login again, and I have to reinstall the system to resume my access. In this case all what I have done before are lost.

My suggestions to all people seeking free VPS here: never try them at all. All are fake, scammers. Don't waste your time. You can get your hosting in many other ways, such as free shared hosting, free PAAS etc, but no free VPS. There are only two things which don't give out free on the web: domains and VPS.

Comments

• Vps cost money
    Free vps lose money
    Gotta make money somehow

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited April 2020

@globalone said: My suggestions to all people seeking free VPS here: never try them at all. All are fake, scammers. Don't waste your time. You can get your hosting in many other ways, such as free shared hosting, free PAAS etc, but no free VPS. There are only two things which don't give out free on the web: domains and VPS.

Thanks for sharing the conclusions of your investigation

I'm impressed at how much time and effort you spent on trying to get a free VPS

There are a couple of decent free VPSes around, operated by members of the community, but they have restrictions, and also have requirements to sign up

• hostworldhostworld Member, Host Rep

I wouldn’t recommend using a free VPS for anything other than a test environment. If you’re hosting a blog and your visitors rely on your VPS being online, why take that risk?

• globalone said: There are only two things which don't give out free on the web: domains and VPS.

Huh? We have at least 2 projects that are alive and well, combine it with a free .design domain from Porkbun a while ago equals 0 dollars and 0 cents.

• If you pay peanuts you get monkeys. If you pay nothing you get nothing.

Thanked by 2default TimboJones
  • 4d4m4d4m Member

@globalone said:
    There are only two things which don't give out free on the web: domains and VPS.

I didn't know this and now I feel left out...Where do I sign up for all of this other free stuff? Can I get some free Bitcoin?

• hzrhzr Member

, my site has helped greatly in promoting their service, because my site has a quite significant traffic and is well known in the industry

Why can't you afford a VPS then?

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited April 2020

Yes free vps is a scam.

Thanked by 2Lee t0m
  • LeeLee Veteran

Any free service is a scam, bastards.

Thanked by 1anonym_user
  • king8654king8654 Member
    edited April 2020

@SCAM_DONT_BUY said:

globalone said: There are only two things which don't give out free on the web: domains and VPS.

Huh? We have at least 2 projects that are alive and well, combine it with a free .design domain from Porkbun a while ago equals 0 dollars and 0 cents.

Obviously not production, or your just crazy lol also.design

FIRST YEAR SALE
    $34.46
    REGULAR REGISTRATION
    $34.94
    RENEWAL

Gonna have fun for renewal

• If you pay nothing for a product - then you are the product.

• Thanks for the suggestion but I don't want to trust Oracle free tier.

• @Lee said:
    Any free service is a scam, bastards.

Refers to the signature. 🧐🧐😂😂😂

Thanked by 2Lee ViridWeb
  • need fully managed

• UnbelievableUnbelievable Member
    edited April 2020

@hostworld said:
    I wouldn’t recommend using a free VPS for anything other than a test environment. If you’re hosting a blog and your visitors rely on your VPS being online, why take that risk?

I personally wouldnt recommend a 5 month old company either, why take that risk?

• @Unbelievable said:

@hostworld said:

I personally wouldnt recommend a 5 month old company either, why take that risk?

How could you? You are Unbelievable!

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@hzr said:

, my site has helped greatly in promoting their service, because my site has a quite significant traffic and is well known in the industry

Why can't you afford a VPS then?

Likely spending all his money on hookers and liquids.

• LeeLee Veteran

Neoon said: Likely spending all his money on hookers and liquids.

Smart guy, we could learn from him, her or they.

• LeeLee Veteran

Unbelievable said: I personally wouldnt recommend a 5 month old company either, why take that risk?

I don't trust a newbie that registered just a few days ago until I know what his angle is. that is how it works on this site. Are you ban evading, wanting a provider tag? There is more to you than meets the eye.

• never trust a fart ...

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • Thanked by 1uptime
  • king8654 said: Obviously not production, or your just crazy lol also.

What do you expect for FREE? You're gonna have to move every year, but thats it. It's FREE.

• However, yesterday they sent me an notification that asked me to pay a USD 20 monthly fee if I want to continue with their service. In conclusion, they only provide you with an one month free trial, while during that one month period, my site has helped greatly in promoting their service, because my site has a quite significant traffic and is well known in the industry.

I'm genuinely curious to see what was expected from the provider and the email requesting payment. His second sentence says he "tried" it, whereas we'd say "used", right? I'm pretty sure there was some acceptance criteria by the provider and wondering if there was a miscommunication between stating what the requirements are and actually being accepted into the free plan. Because if you were under the impression something was free, got an email for a payment required, you'd want to msg the provider and clarify if it was an automated email sent in mistake, or if there was a misunderstanding before going through the trouble of finding yet another provider. And if you wanted to call them out for being "liars and scammers", you'd want to show what they said that confirms that allegation.

So you left out the useful part of your post.

• Free vps is only for testing. Don't put your important data on it.

• XsltelXsltel Member, Host Rep

one day when IPv4 becomes free I will offer free VPS

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@Xsltel said:
    one day when IPv4 becomes free I will offer free VPS

Start offering NAT VPSs for free then :)

• @thedp said:

Start offering NAT VPSs for free then :)

Good idea! :)

• XsltelXsltel Member, Host Rep

thedp said: Start offering NAT VPSs for free then

What about IPv6 only free VPS, is that a thing ?

• mrTommrTom Member

My free evolution-host.com VPS, that I got from their promotion here in exchange for a link, works just fine, no problems and excellent performance for some months now.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Remember kids, "free" means you are paying in something else other than currency.