Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GeorgeDatacenter is unreliable
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

GeorgeDatacenter is unreliable

someonesomeone Member
edited April 2020 in General

Long story short, I got one of the BF specials for their dedicated server on 28 Nov 2019. However, I can no longer login to the server since 26 Jan 2020, HetrixTools reported that the agent no longer send data and it goes offline for 3.5 hours. After that, the IP resolved with a VMWare ESXi panel instead of my original contents.

So I contacted them via ticket but they act like they are innocence. He promised to deliver another "better" replacement server for a few times but it is just empty promises. It is already 2+ months now but it is not resolved yet. The ticket is also closed automatically multiple times in between without solving it.

It is labelled as a Intel Xeon L5520 | 8GB RAM dedicated server that is priced at only $10 per month with a one-time $15 setup fee. There's also a limited uses of new user discount code of 50% recurring on any product and I applied it to the dedicated server.

Before anyone judging me, yes I understand the server is cheap, but this is very unprofessional. If you don't think this price is sustainable, why offer it at the first place?

This is not the first poor experience with them. When I order the server last year, I mentioned clearly at the beginning that I want to install the dedicated server with Debian 9 and SSD as the boot device. After few days, it is delivered with CentOS 7 and HDD as the boot device. I requested a reinstallation and finally they got it right. The initial process is unprofessional and time wasting too.

I guess it all boils down to you get what you pay for. This is the reason why they are able to offer it so cheap.

Ticket Log:

Thanked by 1dedimark

Comments

• For me their service is working fine been using them since last year the only issue i noticed is that in this month invoice they added a small paypal fee without any announcement so i wonder if Paypal allows it? The fee isn't that much it's about 5.5% of total invoice and i am ok with it but i believe they should have told the clients in advance about these new charges instead of just adding them into invoice without any notice.

Thanked by 2someone DataWagon
  • Well, several months ago, I found them unbelievable cheap, but could not make it in time to order. Cheap, reliable, I think you have to choose one.

Thanked by 1someone
  • georgedatacentergeorgedatacenter Member, Patron Provider

Hello:

I accept responsibility in this case, we were unable to find a replacement server in time.

And as I told you in the ticket, I've been quite sick for several weeks now, so I even stopped posting offers here.

This is not an excuse, you can find answers in the ticket and continue to solve this.

Thanked by 2someone buzzyLET
  • angstromangstrom Moderator

@someone said: Before anyone judging me, yes I understand the server is cheap, but this is very unprofessional. If you don't think this price is sustainable, why offer it at the first place?

I wanted to say "Congrats on your first post", but you nicely described the issue in detail. I think that anyone could understand your frustration

Thanked by 2someone lentro
  • angstromangstrom Moderator

@georgedatacenter said:
    Hello:

I accept responsibility in this case, we were unable to find a replacement server in time.

And as I told you in the ticket, I've been quite sick for several weeks now, so I even stopped posting offers here.

This is not an excuse, you can find answers in the ticket and continue to solve this.

Shouldn't you simply refund him everything that he paid and stop pretending that you're going to find him a replacement server?

• Wow, how do you earn from $10 dedicated server hehe. Maybe you get what you paid for?

Thanked by 2someone miu
  • @georgedatacenter said:

Don't worry, take care and hope you get well soon.

@angstrom said:
    I wanted to say "Congrats on your first post", but you nicely described the issue in detail. I think that anyone could understand your frustration

I am well aware of your posts counting ability :)

@angstrom said:
    Shouldn't you simply refund him everything that he paid and stop pretending that you're going to find him a replacement server?

We will see, he promised to find a replacement server for me. I am fine waiting for another few more days as I know it is weekend and the pandemic is quite serious now.

@jonesolutions said:
    Wow, how do you earn from $10 dedicated server hehe. Maybe you get what you paid for?

I monitored the Black Friday megathread very closely, registered an account and ordered it within 3 minutes after it was posted. I think you are right, Black Friday events might be over-hyped.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

"Sorry, but I'm taking this to LowEndTalk"

• UnbelievableUnbelievable Member
    edited April 2020

@jonesolutions said:
    Wow, how do you earn from $10 dedicated server hehe. Maybe you get what you paid for?

So customer rents server from someone with a lot of publicity on Black Friday and its customers fault? That ranks up there with the award winning "Whats your budget", Look at the offers, and signature spamming on the other forum. Basically all useless remarks, I see you are working hard to get that provider tag here (or at least get the signature everywhere like WHT)

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Unbelievable.

• @deank said:
    Unbelievable.

Man! I specially came here to say that! Now the end is neigh.

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited April 2020

@WebGuru said:
    For me their service is working fine been using them since last year the only issue i noticed is that in this month invoice they added a small paypal fee without any announcement so i wonder if Paypal allows it? The fee isn't that much it's about 5.5% of total invoice and i am ok with it but i believe they should have told the clients in advance about these new charges instead of just adding them into invoice without any notice.

This is technically against Paypal TOS, you should report this practice to Paypal. They have a firm policy that states you shouldn't be charging any fee or service charge that make Paypal a less appealing checkout option than other options because of the fee or even wording on their site. There are also other regulatory issues with this -- problem is people tend to just think this is normal and not report it so companies keep getting away with it -- it is against the PayPal policy to do that though, and more so if it isn't directly made obvious during the check out process.

That type of stuff aggravates me , it's kinda like the people who list things on Ebay for $5 but then want $20 shipping, its just another way to gouge the customer (yes I know it isn't an exact apples-to-apples comparison, but it is what it feels similar too). If you need to make more money on the product for it to be sustainable, just raise the price of the product to begin with, don't go and gouge me again as I pull out my wallet and find there is a random unexpected additional cost. If you went to the movie theater and after buying the popcorn you were told there would be an additional $2.00 handling fee for them to put the popcorn in the tub and hand it to you, you probably would say fuck it and buy some candy instead because in your mind that would seem dishonest, well the same applies to these hosts tacking on the extra charges at the checkout counter.

They aren't the only ones doing it here on LET either, Spectra IP is another host that does this -- advertising a $2.50 service to tack on another dollar at checkout in Paypal fees which they dishonestly don't tell you about till you are literally in the check out process -- just make the server $3.50 and disable the fees -- I don't get it.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

• jonesolutionsjonesolutions Member
    edited April 2020

@Unbelievable said:
    So customer rents server from someone with a lot of publicity on Black Friday and its customers fault? That ranks up there with the award winning "Whats your budget", Look at the offers, and signature spamming on the other forum. Basically all useless remarks, I see you are working hard to get that provider tag here (or at least get the signature everywhere like WHT)

Did I say it is his fault? Where did I mention it in my post?

Useless remarks? Search all about my comments here in LET and see if it is useless.

Sorry to disappoint you, but no, I am not planning to get a tag provider here. We do not offer a 10 dollars server. I am sorry that you woke up in a wrong side of bed. Maybe try to go back to sleep? Hate in your heart can bring you down to the dark side. Unbelievable indeed.

• @TheLinuxBug said:
    make Paypal a less appealing checkout option

The thing is that they only support PayPal, so it doesn't actually make PayPal less appealing than other options

• @sanvit said:

@TheLinuxBug said:
    make Paypal a less appealing checkout option

The thing is that they only support PayPal, so it doesn't actually make PayPal less appealing than other options

It's against PayPal terms.

No surcharges
    You agree that you will not impose a surcharge or any other fee for accepting PayPal as a payment method. You may charge a handling fee in connection with the sale of goods or services as long as the handling fee does not operate as a surcharge and is not higher than the handling fee you charge for non-PayPal transactions.

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full#accepting-payments

Like I always cite,

when in doubt, sue.

• PHDanPHDan Member

Is this supposed to prove George is wrong or is this just reinforcing that PayPal is abhorrently shitty?

Yes.

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • @TheLinuxBug said:

@WebGuru said:
    For me their service is working fine been using them since last year the only issue i noticed is that in this month invoice they added a small paypal fee without any announcement so i wonder if Paypal allows it? The fee isn't that much it's about 5.5% of total invoice and i am ok with it but i believe they should have told the clients in advance about these new charges instead of just adding them into invoice without any notice.

This is technically against Paypal TOS, you should report this practice to Paypal. They have a firm policy that states you shouldn't be charging any fee or service charge that make Paypal a less appealing checkout option than other options because of the fee or even wording on their site. There are also other regulatory issues with this -- problem is people tend to just think this is normal and not report it so companies keep getting away with it -- it is against the PayPal policy to do that though, and more so if it isn't directly made obvious during the check out process.

That type of stuff aggravates me , it's kinda like the people who list things on Ebay for $5 but then want $20 shipping, its just another way to gouge the customer (yes I know it isn't an exact apples-to-apples comparison, but it is what it feels similar too). If you need to make more money on the product for it to be sustainable, just raise the price of the product to begin with, don't go and gouge me again as I pull out my wallet and find there is a random unexpected additional cost. If you went to the movie theater and after buying the popcorn you were told there would be an additional $2.00 handling fee for them to put the popcorn in the tub and hand it to you, you probably would say fuck it and buy some candy instead because in your mind that would seem dishonest, well the same applies to these hosts tacking on the extra charges at the checkout counter.

They aren't the only ones doing it here on LET either, Spectra IP is another host that does this -- advertising a $2.50 service to tack on another dollar at checkout in Paypal fees which they dishonestly don't tell you about till you are literally in the check out process -- just make the server $3.50 and disable the fees -- I don't get it.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

People just cannot enjoy affordable service. If you see the final price on your invoice or cart and decide not to buy or renew, then don't.

George, please make sure to include all fees into your pricing, so you don't have to deal with complains regarding Paypal. Yes, Paypal sucks!

• @Unbelievable said:

@jonesolutions said:

I think you misunderstand. I think this was directed at the provider, who isn't able to provide decent service because there is no money/margin/incentive/savings to be able to run a business that has hardware failures (and very high failures since the hardware is ancient). Like selling a widget for $4 that took $5 in labour plus additional expenses, you're asking for a bad time.

• THe end is near.