Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to setup SSl certificate to IP address
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to setup SSl certificate to IP address

SkuraSkura Member
edited April 2020 in Help

Hello
I got SSL certificate (done buy provider) to domain name that has A record IP

on that IP I have the game server panel and I want to protect it too

How can I set up to my Ip SSL too?

P.s Where I can learn How to manage Linux server?

Using CentOS 6/7

thank you!

Comments

• edoarudo5edoarudo5 Member
    edited April 2020

I googled myself to manage servers. It was bad the first 2 years, got hacked and all. Got better after as I learned more. Now, I'm fairly good at it to the point that I could troubleshoot almost everything even without KVM. I also learned how to manage Windows servers after that.

My advice - google it. If you want a shortcut, hire a good system admin. But learning how to do it yourself is more fun and fulfilling.

Thanked by 1binchickin
  • Skura, a good start would be to tell us which OS you are using, e.g. CentOS, Debian, 'Doze(and version for doze), which web server, e.g. Apache, NginX, IIS, etc. I take it you mean your provider has provided a certificate, but not set it up for you? Set up properly for that domain name on that IP it should cover the whole site including the game.

How can I set up to my Ip SSL too? Do I understand this to mean how do you shell in to you server or VPS? If so that should be set up already if the server is running a Linux distro. Replacing myusername and mydomainname with your own user name and domain name for the server, in a terminal type (without the quotes) "ssh [email protected]" where xxx is com or de or whatever and hit return. Answer yes to the question about whether to proceed anyway, then enter your password when asked. That's it. You're in.

Your P.S. is a much bigger question. There are some variations between distributions. For a general overview to start with, run a web search using something like "linux sysadmin tutorial". Go through the results and find one to suit the level you are at now. If you are an absolute beginner you have a long learning curve to go through.

Thanked by 1Skura
  • Pay for the install service of your provider?

Is the game server panel using a domain? Is it being accessed via the domain or the IP? If both you need an SSL for both.

• @edoarudo5 said:
    I googled myself to manage servers. It was bad the first 2 years, got hacked and all. Got better after as I learned more. Now, I'm fairly good at it to the point that I could troubleshoot almost everything even without KVM. I also learned how to manage Windows servers after that.

My advice - google it. If you want a shortcut, hire a good system admin. But learning how to do it yourself is more fun and fulfilling.

Just don't practice it on a production server especially with rm -rf :)

• SkuraSkura Member

@timelapse said:
    Pay for the install service of your provider?

Is the game server panel using a domain? Is it being accessed via the domain or the IP? If both you need an SSL for both.

I have IP address it have VPS and managed service.
    I make "A record" to the IP address with my domain name

the Domain name have SSL certificate
    But the IP no.
    How to make the IP address have SSL too?

• rubenruben Member, Host Rep

Skura said: How to make the IP address have SSL too?

The SSL Cert is issued to a Domain Name, and therefore only valid for the Domain!

If you want an SSL cert for your IP address you need a special cert for that, like: https://support.globalsign.com/ssl/general-ssl/securing-public-ip-address-ssl-certificates

Thanked by 1Skura
  • SkuraSkura Member

@ruben said:

Skura said: How to make the IP address have SSL too?

The SSL Cert is issued to a Domain Name, and therefore only valid for the Domain!

If you want an SSL cert for your IP address you need a special cert for that, like: https://support.globalsign.com/ssl/general-ssl/securing-public-ip-address-ssl-certificates

Thank you!
    So How can I secure it without ssl?
    I mean with the IP address [ Where the PAnel + game servers ] can connect to the game panel
    But with the domain with the A record all is fine.

any suggest? Thanks!

• hi Skura . in this case, it’s better to make the frontend and backend on different servers on the game server prohibit web access but in this case, you have two options to do it yourself or pay sys administrators

• ViridWebViridWeb Member, Host Rep

Centos 6 is not an option anymore.
    Anyway set host name of the server using that domain. And create records such as A records using the IP. Wait for propagate

Then setup SSL on it

Or pay some to do that

Good luck

• @jonesolutions said:

@edoarudo5 said:

Just don't practice it on a production server especially with rm -rf :)

Real men do

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=1M count=1

on a production server.