Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Career Help - Serious - Please
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Career Help - Serious - Please

Hello all,
hope all of you are doing safe!

I need some help... career wise. If this is not the right place, mods, feel free to move it to the correct forum.

Over the last decade, I have worked in several roles, in same company...
So, with this period of working from home, I pulled out my resume, o boy, my resume seems so alien and dated.

What I am seeking:
a. Any suggestions for writing / enhancing my resume to make it current? I am looking for someone who can listen to what I have in store and write up in a polished way... I do not want them to fabricate anything...
b. Any services used/ recommended which can help make my profile/ resume standout?
c. How to position myself to be an experienced person (achiever) and not a simple "doer" of things?
d. I have never officially managed teams, but, have been indirectly managing small teams locally and off-shore. How to put that?
e. How big of a resume should I have? last time I applied, it was a 1 pager...
f. How much of past experience should I write? I have a couple positions as a TA/ RA/ consultant, for short periods before this job
g. I have tried reaching out to my peers, but, unfortunately, are not helpful. They start spreading rumours and gossips and make the workplace even more toxic

Any suggestions welcome. Thanks in advance. Hope you all stay safe!

Comments

• Probably should go to /r/resumes on reddit?

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • plumberg said: Over the last decade, I have worked in several roles, in same company...

That is a good sign. Shows loyalty.

plumberg said: How to position myself to be an experienced person (achiever) and not a simple "doer" of things?

You should have multiple resume, catering towards different roles.

plumberg said: How big of a resume should I have? last time I applied, it was a 1 pager...

Sweet, simple, straight to the point, without fluffer.

I am not a writer, so can't really offer much help on that. But I do interview a decent amount of people every other quarter. We get a lot of resume, that looks the same, feels the same. Too much beating around the bushes. If I am going to skim through 50+ resumes within an hour or bit more, I am looking for something, that makes me go aha! He/She/They gets the point. Let me pass it down to HR.

• armandorgarmandorg Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2020

Well, there are a few things people get wrong during a CV/resume. I would recommend these:
    1. Don't put old job works if the position you're applying is not related to it in anyway. Only put those if there's no job you had similar to what you're applying.
    2. Keep it small and professional, nobody likes to read a bunch of stuff of how you did good at school, or good at some work. Keep it tight.
    3. 1-2 pages CV, if longer, nobody will read.
    4. Don't beg or ask hard for a job. This is more for the cover letter. Act like you're good and you don't care much if you get the job or not. No one likes beggers.
    5. hit the thanks button

• TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited April 2020

@seriesn said:

plumberg said: Over the last decade, I have worked in several roles, in same company...

Not unless its described as "promoted" and not just shuffled around.

Edit: and DON'T use "..."'s anywhere, at all.

• creepcreep Member

change career to nurse.

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@creep said:
    change career to nurse.

Congrats on your first comment since December

• @TimboJones said:

@seriesn said:

plumberg said: Over the last decade, I have worked in several roles, in same company...

Not unless its described as "promoted" and not just shuffled around.

Edit: and DON'T use "..."'s anywhere, at all.

Well if each shuffle includes a title change. Yes. Otherwise bad looks.

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • Focus on achievements instead of skills. Highlight any design decisions based on your understanding of the business. People are always on the lookout for self-motivated coders who go can beyond what they are told to do. If you have shown initiative in the past, highlight it.

The resume should always target the job you are applying for. It is aimed to get your foot in the door.

Everyone has a short attention span, so keep the most recent/relevant stuff at the top. Don't start off with your high school grades. No more than 2 pages.

Unless you graduated recently, the TA/RA is rarely relevant. It only helps to show you are familiar with some topic. Published papers, tech reports, invited talks, help if you have any.

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep

Speaking of CV's, I found this the other day, a CV/Template builder, looks pretty nice!

https://rxresu.me/

Thanked by 1plumberg

@SpeedBus said:
    Speaking of CV's, I found this the other day, a CV/Template builder, looks pretty nice!

I would say there's no better CV other than europass. It just works.

Thanked by 1SpeedBus
  • dustincdustinc Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

Hi plumberg,
    Personal and professional growth is always something folks should be after. I applaud you for wanting to advance your career.

If you put together the resume the best you can, I'd be happy to hop on a call with you and discuss it. Including enhancing it at no cost.

Wishing you the best!

• @SpeedBus said:

Thanks, will check.

Thanked by 1SpeedBus
  • @seriesn said:

plumberg said: How to position myself to be an experienced person (achiever) and not a simple "doer" of things?

You should have multiple resume, catering towards different roles.

plumberg said: How big of a resume should I have? last time I applied, it was a 1 pager...

Sweet, simple, straight to the point, without fluffer.

I am not a writer, so can't really offer much help on that. But I do interview a decent amount of people every other quarter. We get a lot of resume, that looks the same, feels the same. Too much beating around the bushes. If I am going to skim through 50+ resumes within an hour or bit more, I am looking for something, that makes me go aha! He/She/They gets the point. Let me pass it down to HR.

Appreciate your comments @seriesn

Thanked by 1seriesn
  • @armandorg said:

@SpeedBus said:

Would you have a link to that pls? Thnx.

• @rincewind said:
    Focus on achievements instead of skills. Highlight any design decisions based on your understanding of the business. People are always on the lookout for self-motivated coders who go can beyond what they are told to do. If you have shown initiative in the past, highlight it.

The resume should always target the job you are applying for. It is aimed to get your foot in the door.

Everyone has a short attention span, so keep the most recent/relevant stuff at the top. Don't start off with your high school grades. No more than 2 pages.

Unless you graduated recently, the TA/RA is rarely relevant. It only helps to show you are familiar with some topic. Published papers, tech reports, invited talks, help if you have any.

Thanks for the pointers.

• @dustinc said:
    Hi plumberg,
    Personal and professional growth is always something folks should be after. I applaud you for wanting to advance your career.

If you put together the resume the best you can, I'd be happy to hop on a call with you and discuss it. Including enhancing it at no cost.

Wishing you the best!

Appreciate your offer. I would love to share it once I have my first cut available. Probably a couple of days! Thanks again

@plumberg said:

@armandorg said:

@SpeedBus said:

Would you have a link to that pls? Thnx.

https://europass.cedefop.europa.eu/documents/curriculum-vitae/examples

Thanked by 1plumberg