Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Coronavirus: How are your sales affected?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Coronavirus: How are your sales affected?

Have your sales been reduced or increased during this time?

Have your sales been reduced or increased during this time?
  1. Have your sales been reduced or increased during this time?101 votes
    1. Sales increased
      23.76%
    2. Sales decreased
      43.56%
    3. Remains the same
      32.67%

Comments

• How adversely are your sales affected? A little bit or by a lot?

• angstromangstrom Moderator

Congrats on your first two posts

• deankdeank Member, Troll

She's gonna have a good time here, I reckon.

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Most hosting providers I've talked to are either flat or up a bit.

• @deank said:
    She's gonna have a good time here, I reckon.

yes, having good time with your dad

• rcxbrcxb Member
    edited March 2020

Our (retail products) sales have dropped by around 1/3rd. I suppose if we had massive stocks of hand sanitizer and canned food we'd be doing record business right now. But we're similarly having difficulty sourcing many products and dealing with absenteeism... can't get enough employees to show up to fulfill even this lower order volume. Not in a hard-hit area or anything. Fortunate the pandemic didn't hit in November and derail Christmas sales, because then the US/EU economies would really be in desperate trouble.

rcxb said: Our (retail products) sales have dropped by around 1/3rd. I suppose if we had massive stocks of hand sanitizer and canned food we'd be doing record business right now. But we're similarly having difficulty sourcing many products and dealing with absenteeism... can't get enough employees to show up to fulfill even this lower order volume. Not in a hard-hit area or anything. Fortunate the pandemic didn't hit in November and derail Christmas sales, because then the US/EU economies would really be in desperate trouble.

What type of industry are you? Just curious.

• jhjh Member

Software dev shop. Business down quite a bit but it's sustainable at the moment. If things get worse, we might need to furlough staff and claim 80% from the gov.

• HostSlickHostSlick Member, Patron Provider

Just received some SFP Transceivers and Fiber Optic Cables etc, to do some network upgrades :smile: just saying.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited March 2020

The sales of shoes have been going up.

• lentrolentro Member, Host Rep

Some people cancelled paid small sites from my company. It's pretty sad. You'd think people would spend more time developing at home, but instead they just move to their own computers or to the free plan.

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2020

Sales are more sporadic and down slightly (tentative 5%) but that could just be a normal fluctuation. Appears to be primarily in the cheaper product ranges. Attacks are significantly more frequent (40-50 attacks a day, often with multiple patterns / attempts) so costs are up. Nothing too concerning yet.

The other side of my business is consulting. On that side I am fairly insulated because I primarily deal with R&D for startups. No one is throwing millions of investment down the drain yet and cancelling / abandoning those. Business as usual there, if not more active as it's not like there is a lot to do recreationally at the moment.

• HostEONSHostEONS Member, Patron Provider

Sales have increased a bit, since people are staying at home they are working on developing websites, using VPN etc... but I've a feeling this is temporary as overall economy is going downhill and soon sales will be going down for almost everybody

• Business decreased slightly, some recurring SEO clients cancelled and new quotes have not been approved, so far the issue is manageable but already taking some hits, would be glad if I can keep it even by the end of the crisis but unfortunately it seems like it will take longer than I could imagine in the beginning.

I'm a small company (software development, web design, graphic design studio) with about 10 employees, but it's hard to keep up the salaries (even in a cheap environment as mine), employees become almost family so I'll keep up as long as I can.

Good luck to all of you on these times and stay safe.

• Vova1234Vova1234 Member, Patron Provider

The result of the month. I bought all the Hetzner FI servers.

I also sold a lot of servers for several years at once.

Thanked by 2vfuse MechKing

@Vova1234 congrats on the strong sales numbers.

• Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Member, Top Host

@Vova1234 Sounds like things for you are booming. We're happy that you're using our EX62-NVMes. :D --Katie

• vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

Sales are up but 2 clients directly effected by the corona crisis, we've been able to help them with a payment plan. I think we'll only see the real effect of this crisis in a couple months.

• MatthiasMatthias Member, LIR

Music licensing company here. We've actually seen increases in streaming numbers since a lot of people are working from home and listening to music there.

• We've gone up unexpectedly despite making it clear we won't have Asian locations anytime soon. Completely sold out, waiting for new servers with a ton of understandably angry customers..

Matthias said: Music licensing company here. We've actually seen increases in streaming numbers since a lot of people are working from home and listening to music there.

So I assume that probably means more subscriptions, aka better revenue for you?

Synatiq said: We've gone up unexpectedly despite making it clear we won't have Asian locations anytime soon. Completely sold out, waiting for new servers with a ton of understandably angry customers..

Now that's a WIN! Congrats on the strong numbers. Really happy to hear that some hosts are seeing positive surges in sales activity.

Thanked by 1Synatiq
  • MatthiasMatthias Member, LIR

@jbiloh said:

We mostly license music to companies like Spotify and charge the artists/labels a percentage of revenue. So essentially the more their music is streamed and the more revenue they make, the more we get as well

• SkuraSkura Member

@Vova1234 WOW vova!!!

• dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

@HostSlick said: Just received some SFP Transceivers and Fiber Optic Cables etc, to do some network upgrades

SFP transceivers for network upgrades?! yeah, it's definitely time to get rid of 100Base-FX. :lol: SCNR

• HostSlickHostSlick Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2020

@dfroe said:

@HostSlick said: Just received some SFP Transceivers and Fiber Optic Cables etc, to do some network upgrades

SFP transceivers for network upgrades?! yeah, it's definitely time to get rid of 100Base-FX. :lol: SCNR

:lol:

"Upgrades"
    Setting up own Router.
    Not a big Company. About to reach 100 Physical Servers.

Besides the 1U VPS Nodes i have few HPE C7000 and HPE Apollo 6000 blade systems i own. Proud of it :smile:

@Matthias said:

@jbiloh said:

We mostly license music to companies like Spotify and charge the artists/labels a percentage of revenue. So essentially the more their music is streamed and the more revenue they make, the more we get as well

Very nice, glad to hear some optimism these days.

• Our sales boomed compared to Jan and Feb 2020. Really weird.

@jonesolutions said:
    Our sales boomed compared to Jan and Feb 2020. Really weird.

How big of a difference? Just curious.

• @jbiloh said:

@jonesolutions said:
    Our sales boomed compared to Jan and Feb 2020. Really weird.

How big of a difference? Just curious.

About 50% increase :)