Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Contabo, what the f***?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Contabo, what the f***?

I became a customer of Contabo because Contabo dropped the setup fees for vServers in December. Everything was fine until I used the server as a Tor Exit node. Not prohibited by the Terms of Service as long as it is not misused.
The first abuse messages didn't take long and were processed by me although it was clear that they were sent automatically and nobody would read the response.

It happened what had to happen. A server lock was threatened.
The problem with this thing. Contabo sent the email informing me that the server had to be reinstalled on a Sunday in the late afternoon and expected a reinstallation within 12 hours.

English translation:
https://pastebin.com/Rdar04Hv

This email was read too late and the server was shut down.
Strangely enough Contabo demanded a reactivation fee of 30€ which is nowhere but really nowhere in their TOS.

English translation:
https://pastebin.com/zXJPHQpq

Their TOS only foresee a fee of 30€ if a direct debit fails.
Of course I refused and demanded a backup.
This in turn was refused by Contabo in terms of privacy policy, understandable.

English translation:
https://pastebin.com/0yRvhs7g

After repeated references to the TOS in which no reactivation fee is noted anywhere, the server was activated again.

English translation:
https://pastebin.com/xihvqPRA

English translation:
https://pastebin.com/kA4x3ViM

30€ reactivation fee and having no legal basis for it. I think you live in another dimension at Contabo.
I had to post this because I stumbled over it again today and had forgotten it until then.
Whatever. My server will expire on the first of May and I will definitely not continue it.

Server performance at Contabo is okay but trying to rip off money is absolutely not okay and i hope you will stay far away from contabo.

However, have a nice Quarantine you all ;)

Comments

• georgedatacentergeorgedatacenter Member, Patron Provider

You can't get unlimited abuse, and want the server to keep running

Thanked by 1coreflux
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited March 2020

Yggdrasil_WS said: Tor Exit node

Always ask first. Doesn't matter if it's not directly forbidden by policy, it can allow others to do things that are forbidden without your consent and you cannot ethically do anything to resolve the abuse complaints without simply shutting down the service.

Why do you need a backup of an exit node anyway? What in the world are you doing?

Thanked by 3Ympker Aidan ariq01
  • jh_aurologicjh_aurologic Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 2020

Great example why you should carefully read the TOS of your provider and avoid using a cheap VPS for problematic stuff like TOR Exit Nodes. I guess no serious provider has any interest on customers generating abuse, at least not in the price range of a few bucks ;-)

However, the 30€ reactivation fee might be problematic if there is no binding contractual agreement.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Another stirring dispatch from the battlelines of digital freedom.

Thanked by 1Abdussamad
  • The fact that the server was switched off is not very tragic and also understandable but I am annoyed that they email me on Sunday and set a 12 hour time limit which is not really to keep if you want to have some free time. I just added why this happened that the situation can be seen in a complete context.

• edited March 2020

How does the provider knows that is an tor exit node?
    Sorry, not a tor user.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@greattomeetyou said:
    How does the provider knows that is an tor exit node?
    Sorry, not a tor user.

Well, Tor exit IPs are shared publicly on multiple lists online. Also some blacklists list IPs used as Tor exits. Or perhaps probing will show something.

Thanked by 1greattomeetyou
  • angstromangstrom Moderator

@Yggdrasil_WS said: I became a customer of Contabo because Contabo dropped the setup fees for vServers in December. Everything was fine until I used the server as a Tor Exit node. Not prohibited by the Terms of Service as long as it is not misused.

Congrats on your first discussion

But you knew that Tor Exit nodes are overwhelmingly prohibited by providers, right?

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @combahton_it said:
    Great example why you should carefully read the TOS of your provider and avoid using a cheap VPS for problematic stuff like TOR Exit Nodes. I guess no serious provider has any interest on customers generating abuse, at least not in the price range of a few bucks ;-)

However, the 30€ reactivation fee might be problematic if there is no binding contractual agreement.

Hi

Can you set BGP session now?

• LESLES Member

@Yggdrasil_WS said:
    I became a customer of Contabo because Contabo dropped the setup fees for vServers in December

IP was reported 90 times on abuseipdb since December... Good job dude lol

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited March 2020

@LES said:

@Yggdrasil_WS said:
    I became a customer of Contabo because Contabo dropped the setup fees for vServers in December

IP was reported 90 times on abuseipdb since December... Good job dude lol

Well.. there you go.

• snzsnz Member

Also: You most likely signed up with fake data as contabo refers to you as "miss" :)

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • Contabo uses pentium 3 servers for clients lol

Thanked by 1sucre13
  • deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited March 2020

A prime example of having unrealistic expectations while having absolutely no reason to have unrealistic expectations.

In short, PMS overdose.

• @deank said:
    A prime example of having unrealistic expectations while having absolutely no reason to have unrealistic expectations.

In short, PMS overdose.

So you imply that a person with PMS is more greedy, and therefore is more exposed to Covid19?

• LeeLee Veteran

Yggdrasil_WS said: Everything was fine until I used the server as a Tor Exit node

That is all.

Thanked by 3Ympker gazmull coreflux
  • deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited March 2020

Lee's got a new avatar.

The end is nigh.

@default said:
    So you imply that a person with PMS is more greedy, and therefore is more exposed to Covid19?

I think we all have the China virus at this point. It's just that some are deadly allergic to it.

• @deank said:

In short, PMS overdose.

"Not prohibited by the Terms of Service as long as it is not misused."

No, it's not. He read the ToS and thought it was OK since he explicitly read it is prohibited at other providers. What he was dense about was not expecting the Tor exit to be misused.

• LeviLevi Member
    edited March 2020

That's typical, abuser complaints because he unable to perform abuse activities anymore. Where is the real drama?!

• I don't hide the fact I operate a Tor exit node. I'd always suggest others do too. With that said, you cannot just spring a Tor exit node on your provider like that.

When I find a provider and intend on running a Tor exit node or bridge, I make sure to have a 1-on-1 conversation with the provider's controller and be on transparent terms.

• This is contabo like Hetzner TOS and very strict abuse policy

• mustafamw3mustafamw3 Member, Patron Provider

@DignusData said:
    This is contabo like Hetzner TOS and very strict abuse policy

All German companies have strict TOS