Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Small E-Commerce site...VPS or shared hosting?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Small E-Commerce site...VPS or shared hosting?

FootKaputFootKaput Member
edited March 2020 in Help

I'm planning a small (less than 1000 visits a month) Wordpress woocommerce site, to sell chicken eggs.

Would a shared host or VPS be the better route?

I built a test site about a week ago, and just got notified from porkbun that the domain is now on spamhaus. I verified I have SPF and DKIM records in DNS.

I will be needing to send emails for the sales, and want to make sure emails make it to inboxes. I also have MXRoute and could do a combo solution.

Thoughts?

Comments

• FootKaput said: less than 1000 visits a month

Shared should not be a problem!! That is barely 33 hits a day.

FootKaput said: Wordpress

As long as this is optimized properly and not overloaded with plugins.

FootKaput said: MXRoute and could do a combo solution.

Would be a great solution tbh!

FootKaput said: to sell chicken eggs

Off topic: Now I am interested! Online shipping? Wholesale?

• FootKaputFootKaput Member
    edited March 2020

seriesn said: Off topic: Now I am interested! Online shipping? Wholesale?

I have a few acres, and will have 60 layers, with eggs coming sometime this summer. The site is for my kids so they can sell eggs. All the chicks we have are a month old or less, so no eggs for a while. Using the site lets folks know when we have eggs available, and will throw a paypal address in there so customers could pay that way instead of cash/checks. We anticipate anywhere from 2-4 dozen eggs a day, and will all be local pickup only.

I figured the traffic won't be an issue for either shared/VPS, just wasn't sure if there was any factors I'm not thinking about to pick one over the other. I'm comfortable setting it up on either, but not so sure about the email part... don't like being the domain being flagged for spam.

• I find Woocommerce to be pretty heavy on resources, especially by the time you add in some essential Wordpress bloat eg. Wordfence.
    On a fairly small site, I see frequent Vmem faults when set to 768MB RAM.
    I lighter alternative to woocommerce might be better for shared hosting, perhaps opencart.

• AlwaysSkint said: perhaps opencart.

I appreciate the feedback. I'm not necessarily sold on wordpress, although what I set up so far is pretty easy for the family to manage. The kids like the idea of blogging/pictures... they were thinking of a 'chicken of the week' type post.

• FootKaput said: I'm comfortable setting it up on either, but not so sure about the email part...

Email, while it works for everyone, I am more confident in leaving it to the pros (mxroute for example).

FootKaput said: I have a few acres, and will have 60 layers, with eggs coming sometime this summer. The site is for my kids so they can sell eggs. All the chicks we have are a month old or less, so no eggs for a while. Using the site lets folks know when we have eggs available, and will throw a paypal address in there so customers could pay that way instead of cash/checks. We anticipate anywhere from 2-4 dozen eggs a day, and will all be local pickup only.

That is extremely cool! Are you in the states by any chance?

• Shared hosting will be absolutely fine. A VPS will take a lot more management on your side and probably more costly if you'd be wanting a control panel etc. A relatively bog standard hosting package would be the way to go value for money wise and ease of use.

• hzrhzr Member

Have you considered Wix or Shopify or something else? WP seems like a massive vulnerability/weakpoint for what you're planning on using it for.

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • seriesn said: Are you in the states by any chance?

Yes, upper midwest. The kids are really looking forward to taking care of the chickens, and of course the $$$

WSCallum said: Shared hosting will be absolutely fine. A VPS will take a lot more management on your side

I would be fine managing the site with shared hosting, VPS with docker, VPS with NGINX, or VPS with a control panel...just wasn't sure if there would be any reason to pick one over the other.

hzr said: Have you considered Wix or Shopify or something else?

I am up to suggestions... the WP/woocommerce was more of a proof of concept. I know that WP with themes and lots of plugins can really widen the surface for vulnerabilities. Perhaps opencart for the shopping side and a minimum WP or Ghost or even Facebook for the pictures/blog side.

• @FootKaput said:

seriesn said: Are you in the states by any chance?

Yes, upper midwest. The kids are really looking forward to taking care of the chickens, and of course the $$$

Ah the cold part. I was genuinely hoping to score some fresh eggs.

All the best bud!

• FootKaput said: I would be fine managing the site with shared hosting, VPS with docker, VPS with NGINX, or VPS with a control panel...just wasn't sure if there would be any reason to pick one over the other.

There are pros and cons for shared vs VPS vs Dedi...
    For your needs, shared hosting should be fine. Of course there are quality shared and "shared" hosters...

For eCommerce solution: WP platform is always vulnerable. OpenCart is my favorite.

• SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

@FootKaput said:

I have a few acres, and will have 60 layers, with eggs coming sometime this summer. The site is for my kids so they can sell eggs. All the chicks we have are a month old or less, so no eggs for a while. Using the site lets folks know when we have eggs available, and will throw a paypal address in there so customers could pay that way instead of cash/checks. We anticipate anywhere from 2-4 dozen eggs a day, and will all be local pickup only.

I figured the traffic won't be an issue for either shared/VPS, just wasn't sure if there was any factors I'm not thinking about to pick one over the other. I'm comfortable setting it up on either, but not so sure about the email part... don't like being the domain being flagged for spam.

Nothing in particular to say but I enjoyed reading your thing. Most probably, in your area (country) eggs are very costly as well with high margin and hence all this trouble to setup site for it.

• cazrzcazrz Member

@FootKaput said:

"local pickup only" - I don't see a point of having an ecommerce site.
    If you are just wanting to have a site with "local pickup only" business I rather suggest a one-pager static site. Or Cloudflare worker, Netlify, Github. Just put your contact number on the page. No headaches. No spams.

If you are planning to send newsletter or blasting marketing emails then MXroute and other ESPs wont work they will only suspend you or cancel your account. Unless they provide such service. You will need something like mailchimp.com, sendgrid or the likes.

If you really want to host WP+Woocommerce yourself, then I suggest atleast 4GB VPS specially if you plan on installing some plugins.

• FootKaputFootKaput Member
    edited April 2020

cazrz said: I don't see a point of having an ecommerce site

The intent is for people to see inventory as we update it, and be able to pay with paypal/stripe/etc. I agree that a static site could suffice, and would be a lot less maintenance.

I have some extra time this week (work from home) so I think I'll try a basic/minimal WP with a cart and see how that goes.

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited April 2020

@FootKaput said:

cazrz said: I don't see a point of having an ecommerce site

The intent is for people to see inventory as we update it, and be able to pay with paypal/stripe/etc. I agree that a static site could suffice, and would be a lot less maintenance.

I have some extra time this week (work from home) so I think I'll try a basic/minimal WP with a cart and see how that goes.

Maybe this can help you. If you just need to create a PayPal integration without a real client area or anything.

https://www.wpbeginner.com/plugins/10-wordpress-paypal-plugins-for-easily-accepting-payments/

Perhaps you could also just generate a PayPal button ans integrate via HTML.