Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A humble request - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

A humble request

Comments

• leapswitchleapswitch Patron Provider, Veteran

I never had an adblocker, don't find LET ads intrusive either. Checked buysellads and there is a waiting list to advertise here. @jbiloh seems to be raking in the money 😃

• ExonHost said: I got this email last January.

Always easy to misinterpret: to me, last Jan. is Jan. 2019 rather that this Jan. (2020).

• bugrakocbugrakoc Member
    edited March 2020

@AlwaysSkint said:

ExonHost said: I got this email last January.

Always easy to misinterpret: to me, last Jan. is Jan. 2019 rather that this Jan. (2020).

I'm pretty sure he meant this Jan, otherwise the screenshot would have stated 2019 explicitly (assuming the screenshot is recent).

EDIT2: Upon employing my amazing detective skills, it is now evident that he meant January 2020, because 23.01.2019 was on a wednesday, not a thursday.

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • Thanked by 2uptime TimboJones
  • jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran
    edited March 2020

leapswitch said: I never had an adblocker, don't find LET ads intrusive either. Checked buysellads and there is a waiting list to advertise here. @jbiloh seems to be raking in the money 😃

I have been working to get more ads sold and talking to people. It has been helping. Thanks for not running an ad blocker.

hzr said: I would whitelist if the borderline-malicious scripting is removed and only text/image based ads are served, directly. Without the aggressive cross site tracking attempts.

Unfortunately on a high latency connection it's not so much the ads but the tracking scripts that are making thousands of connections repeatedly.

The adroll/perfect audience/etc code that was still around from the prior era has all been removed.

Francisco said: LEB was posting that Chris' offers in the past few months, and didn't disclose it?

Posting on LEB has always been free. If you are a legitimate company, you are eligible to be posted on LEB, it's an open to everyone process (so long as the subject entity passes the more stringent newer scrutiny we are undertaking). As I've mentioned recently I am reviewing all submissions and making sure the entities getting posted are more reputable. I've reached out to dozens and dozens of hosts the past two months to ask for submissions and I've asked others to do the same to drum up more interest. Right now we are scheduled out to nearly the end of April so the efforts to attract a wider variety of hosts are working.

• ExonHostExonHost Member, Host Rep

@AlwaysSkint said:

ExonHost said: I got this email last January.

It's Jan, 2020.

ExonHost said: It's Jan, 2020.

If you would like to be featured just submit an offer at https://lowendbox.com/submit-an-offer/

• james50ajames50a Member
    edited March 2020

Basically the screenshot xeonhost posted just confirms that everything jbiloh has said is bullshit and a core relation still exists between collocrossing and lowendtalk. Re branding the scapegoat didnt fix squat

edited March 2020

@james50a said:
    Basically the screenshot xeonhost posted just confirms that everything jbiloh has said is bullshit and a core relation still exists between collocrossing and lowendtalk. Re branding the scapegoat didnt fix squat

This is just not accurate.

Any sales rep, and any company, is welcome to direct their hosting company clients to submitting offers on Low End Box. When hosting companies grow it's usually good for their datacenter partners.

For the record, and to be clear, being a customer of ColoCrossing does not guarantee you a listing on Low End Box OR bumping to the front of the line. Any hosting company which buys from ColoCrossing will be held to the same scrutiny as anyone else.

As I said previously I invite anyone to suggest to hosting companies to submit their offers to Low End Box. The more offers we have, from good, reputable companies, the better.

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@jbiloh said: For the record, and to be clear, being a customer of ColoCrossing does not guarantee you a listing on Low End Box OR bumping to the front of the line. Any hosting company which buys from ColoCrossing will be held to the same scrutiny as anyone else.

But, with all due respect, for the record, and to be clear, this wasn't the case during a significant period of time in the not-so-distant past, correct?

Thanked by 1bugrakoc

angstrom said: But, with all due respect, for the record, and to be clear, this wasn't the case during a significant period of time in the not-so-distant past, correct?

There is no question that in the past that if you were a client of ColoCrossing you were looked at more favorably to get posted on Low End Box. This is no longer the case.

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • MechanicWebMechanicWeb Member, Patron Provider

We should all help the initiative @jbiloh is taking with LET.

LET is now the only site where I have my ad blocker disabled.

Considering how malicious third party ads can be, I do not trust ads. I would prefer if there was some alternatives and a system to buy ad posting ability.

For example, an ability for providers to be able to post in the offers section, not some tiered membership like WHT. It will not change anything visibly, will not add any badge or anything, just enable the provider to post offers once in seven days.

Providers who don't buy ads will still be able to post offers once in ten or 15 days, so that start up and smaller providers can still get some boost for their businesses.

Tiered membership imposes a wrong impression that a higher tier member is more trustworthy than a lower tier member while in reality it just tells that a higher tier member bought the higher tier, nothing more.

With all the scams going on in the hosting industry, this impression is bad, hence the ability to post offers, not 'memberships'.

In addition, there could be an option to buy offers - to be able to post offers twice a week instead of sticky posts. Buying ads would not reflect anything on the provider's membership status.

• hzrhzr Member

I would personally prefer first-party self hosted ads instead of BSA loading arbitrary javascript

Thanked by 1TimboJones

MechanicWeb said: We should all help the initiative @jbiloh is taking with LET.

LET is now the only site where I have my ad blocker disabled.

Thank you, I appreciate that.

MechanicWeb said: Providers who don't buy ads will still be able to post offers once in ten or 15 days, so that start up and smaller providers can still get some boost for their businesses.

Tiered membership imposes a wrong impression that a higher tier member is more trustworthy than a lower tier member while in reality it just tells that a higher tier member bought the higher tier, nothing more.

With all the scams going on in the hosting industry, this impression is bad, hence the ability to post offers, not 'memberships'.

In addition, there could be an option to buy offers - to be able to post offers twice a week instead of sticky posts. Buying ads would not reflect anything on the provider's membership status.

Interesting idea, I will think on this, thank you.

hzr said: I would personally prefer first-party self hosted ads instead of BSA loading arbitrary javascript

I'm with you... because BSA takes 25% commission on everything and that really adds up. Especially when we basically sell all of our own ads to the community via the "Advertise here" links.

• You got it man.

• seriesnseriesn Member
    edited March 2020

MechanicWeb said: to be able to post offers twice a week

Nah man. This forum gets enough ad posts as it is. Last thing we want is, every second thread is an AD. Specially with the way Vanilla is with chat style thread with out categories, it would be annoying to browse.

seriesn said: You got it man.

Gracias Senor

• luissousaluissousa Member
    edited March 2020

@jbiloh said:

luissousa said: I haven't used adblock for the past 2 years - I've just stopped visiting websites with intrusive ads. Regarding tracking, I'm currently testing firefox containers once again.

Lets make LET great again!

I suppose that means that you don't think our ads are intrusive. :)

I never found them to be intrusive, I would even sometimes look there to see which offers were on, but I guess I'm not as sensitive as everyone else

luissousa said: I never found them to be intrusive, I would even sometimes look there to see which offers were on, but I guess I'm not as sensitive as everyone else

Well, thanks for keeping your ad blocker off for our website. I really appreciate it.

Thanked by 1luissousa
  • HostEONSHostEONS Member, Patron Provider

@jbiloh keep up the good work, keep improving LET .... FYI never used adblocker

• MechanicWebMechanicWeb Member, Patron Provider

seriesn said: Nah man. This forum gets enough ad posts as it is.

I understand. That could be a premium option, or no option at all.

We can all agree that LET needs some revenue to stay afloat.

HostEONS said: @jbiloh keep up the good work, keep improving LET .... FYI never used adblocker

Thanks, I appreciate it.

• NDTNNDTN Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

Just disabled adblocker on LET and LEB. Keep up the great work, @jbiloh :)

@NDTN said:
    Just disabled adblocker on LET and LEB. Keep up the great work, @jbiloh :)

Thanks brother. Much appreciated.

• MechanicWeb said: just enable the provider to post offers once in seven days.

Please no. Nobody has a different genuine offer every week. It will just be regurgitated bullshit. Let them buy ad space.

• jhjh Member

I'll disable just because the ads aren't annoying. The Patreon idea is a waste of time - most members are tight and bringing in a premium membership will just annoy people.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited March 2020

@jh said:
    I'll disable just because the ads aren't annoying. The Patreon idea is a waste of time - most members are tight and bringing in a premium membership will just annoy people.

I think a compromise is that this site enrolls in BAT. People that use the Brave browser can then chip in to the site since they're not viewing ads.

I've given $200+ to random websites via it already.

Francisco

• Disabled. Hope things get better and better in the future.

• I don't install adbloker. I simply don't visit annoying sites.
    I wish this forum and all members get better and successful.

• Shot2Shot2 Member

@jbiloh tell us what subdomain(s) you use for delivering your ads, we might consider adding a passthru rule to our dns rpz policies.