Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Netcup not accepting delayed payments under any circumstances? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Netcup not accepting delayed payments under any circumstances?

2»

Comments

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@dfroe said: angstrom said: by not accepting credit cards, Saturn and MediaMarkt could save a lot on credit card charges

Regarding this I would appreciate if the saved money of SEPA direct debit transactions would be shared among the the store owner and the customer. This would increase the store's profit by paying less processing fees and if customers would get a little discount, people would do it.

Well, perhaps this is what people really believed: since they used cash and debit cards, Saturn and MediaMarkt gave them further discounts that they wouldn't receive if they used credit cards.

dfroe said: But I assume if this would be established, someone could file a complaint with the EU that Germany is disadvantaging non-German EU citiziens because they do not have a German girocard. :)

But I do wonder what prompted Saturn and Media Markt to start accepting credit cards.

@aj_potc said:

@angstrom said:
    I always felt that there was something very German in this practice: by not accepting credit cards, Saturn and MediaMarkt could save a lot on credit card charges, and German consumers were conditioned to accept this practice as "normal", even well after credit cards were widely available and used.

I remember this time well! As a non-German, it was a shock to me how many shops would not accept credit cards around 2012-13. Even Ikea wanted an EC card or cash! But times have changed. You can now use credit cards at discount places like Netto, Lidl, and Aldi, which (at least for my local places) was impossible in the past. I recall it was even a challenge back then to find DB and local transit ticket machines that would take CCs.

It will be a long time before cash is gone here, but there is a real cost to handling it. For some businesses, it may be cheaper to go to electronic-only methods. And after many years the tax authorities are starting to put the squeeze on unreported cash (tougher penalties, heavier requirements on businesses that deal with cash, cash register security, etc.).

Yes, nowadays, credit cards are indeed widely accepted in Germany, but it took much longer than in other countries, which needs an explanation, but as I suggested above (and without wanting to drag this out further), I think that it was related to German business culture and German consumer culture more generally (just like netcup's practices are).

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

rchurch said: Aren't you aware that we are facing a global covid_19 related business downturn?

Well look at it this way - you're helping a small business survive in these difficult times.

• dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

@raindog308 said: You're helping a small business survive in these difficult times.

During the last 2 years they opened over 30 LIR accounts with RIPE to literally buy as many IPv4 address as they could by opening another account as soon as the previous request was approved. This alone cost them more than 150,000 EUR. Does this still count as a small business? :)

• hzrhzr Member

raindog308 said: Well look at it this way - you're helping a small business survive in these difficult times.

They are Anexia now, not a small business.

• Here we go again. I am too old for this shit.

• luissousaluissousa Member
    edited March 2020

Why does everyone on LET love to take other people down with petty arguments? All the guy was asking was for Netcup to be a little humane and understand covid-19 is messing some people's lives. If they can't, great for them - they won't have my business ever again.

As for the amount, if you're having trouble paying and want to avoid cancellation fees, PM me and I'll try my best to help @rchurch.

P.S.: collection agencies are shit.

@luissousa said: Why does everyone on LET love to take other people down with petty arguments?

If you want to accuse all of the rest of us of being petty, why not begin with the OP?

He knows how these things work (he's been a regular netcup customer in the past), it's not a life or death question, nor a to eat or not to eat question, and the amount that he's talking about (which he never revealed) probably isn't so large to begin with. If he's a victim, it's not netcup who victimized him.