Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need IRC hosting
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need IRC hosting

OSSOSS Member

Hello,
Need a cheap VPS for hosting an IRCd server. Any suggestions or offer please ? Max 100 users.

Comments

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Wow, IRC, haven't heard that for a while.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@OSS said:
    Hello,
    Need a cheap VPS for hosting an IRCd server. Any suggestions or offer please ? Max 100 users.

OVH?

• OSSOSS Member

@thedp said:

@OSS said:
    Hello,

OVH?

Googled it and i think they don't allow IRC servers...

• pikepike Veteran
    edited March 2020

Most hosters allow IRC if you don't want to use it for a botnet or the likes. Just contact any host in your mind and explain your use case.
    Hetzner for example doesnt have the word "IRC" in their terms of service.

Thanked by 1OSS

Or maybe check with HostSailor since they themselves are running IRC servers :)

• SnowStylezSnowStylez Member
    edited March 2020

BuyVM
    @pike often are Warez Links IRC or Tor IRC or for o.e Cheats(e.g Weepcraft (Minecraft Cheat with IRC Cheat)

• i use @HostSailor to irc. thanks you

Thanked by 1HostSailor
  • I highly suggest using @HostSailor they have many IRC servers too in big networks.

Thanked by 1HostSailor
  • HostSailorHostSailor Member, Patron Provider

Thank you guys for your recommendation, @OSS you can try our special KVM or XEN, it supports IRC and starting from $1

Thanked by 1Ganonk
  • Back in the past, IRC was held on small servers. Now we have so much computing power, but IRC is not that populated. My advice: enjoy IRC using an existing network (Rizon, Freenode and so on)

• Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Member, Top Host

Hi @OSS and @pike - We don't mention many things specifically on our ToS. Yes, we allow IRC. I laughed a bit when I saw this post because I had recently been talking to a friend about this XKCD comic.
    If you have more questions about what is allowed or not allowed with our products, our sales technicians will always be happy to help. --Katie

Thanked by 1default
  • freerangecloudfreerangecloud Member, Patron Provider

We have no policy against running IRC servers on our network if you're still looking for a host.

• pike said: Most hosters allow IRC if you don't want to use it for a botnet or the likes. Just contact any host in your mind and explain your use case.

I think the challenge is that any IRC over 150+ users ends up being a DDoS magnet.

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

We have no policies against DDoS protecting IRC servers. Brings us back to the good ole days.

• pikepike Veteran

@Bertie said:

pike said: Most hosters allow IRC if you don't want to use it for a botnet or the likes. Just contact any host in your mind and explain your use case.

I think the challenge is that any IRC over 150+ users ends up being a DDoS magnet.

Shouldnt be an issue with nowadays protection (thinking about clouvider, php-friends, even OVH since IRC uses TCP)

• HostEONSHostEONS Member, Patron Provider

@OSS said:
    Hello,

IRC is allowed on our KVM VPS in LA and NY both locations - https://hosteons.com/vps.php

• IRC Networks allow connected users to communicate in both a public and private fashion. IRC Networks provide countless benefits such as secure group and one-on-one conversations, compatibility with several gameservers to allow in-game communication directly from your IRC client or even just a place to hang out with your friends.

sing the InspIRCd app on a low end VPS, you can begin hosting your own IRC chat rooms to instantly communicate with your family and friends. To get started, go ahead and spin up an Ubuntu 16.04 VPS and login using SSH.

Once you follow these steps, you’ll be able to configure and deploy your own IRC server.

Update your Repositories

sudo apt-get update

Install InspIRCd

sudo apt-get install inspircd

If you are asked to answer Y or N, always select Y unless otherwise noted in this tutorial. If all went well, you’ll be returned back to the command line without any errors. Here is an example:

Finalize the Configuration

The easiest way to configure InspIRCd is by using the Nano text editor. Here is how you should proceed:

sudo nano /etc/inspircd/inspircd.conf

@alanaalison said:
    IRC Networks allow connected users to communicate in both a public and private fashion. IRC Networks provide countless benefits such as secure group and one-on-one conversations, compatibility with several gameservers to allow in-game communication directly from your IRC client or even just a place to hang out with your friends.

sing the InspIRCd app on a low end VPS, you can begin hosting your own IRC chat rooms to instantly communicate with your family and friends. To get started, go ahead and spin up an Ubuntu 16.04 VPS and login using SSH.

Once you follow these steps, you’ll be able to configure and deploy your own IRC server.

Update your Repositories

sudo apt-get update

Install InspIRCd

sudo apt-get install inspircd

If you are asked to answer Y or N, always select Y unless otherwise noted in this tutorial. If all went well, you’ll be returned back to the command line without any errors. Here is an example:

Finalize the Configuration

The easiest way to configure InspIRCd is by using the Nano text editor. Here is how you should proceed:

sudo nano /etc/inspircd/inspircd.conf

Welcome.

Congratulations on your first post promoting InspIRCd by its LEB guide.