Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How are companies like Kimsufi able to offer low-spec cheap dedicated servers?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How are companies like Kimsufi able to offer low-spec cheap dedicated servers?

hostvaperhostvaper Member
edited March 2020 in General

I see usual dedicated servers for $50-$60 / mo, and understandably because they have high-end specs like > 32 GB RAM.

I want to know how cheap dedicated servers work, and if there are "hidden costs" which will become a pain later. I also have seen only a handful of providers for these, which makes me question it more.

I want to understand how they are working. I don't see a point in them not maxing out specs* and selling a higher-end dedicated server if their board supports it and it takes same rack space. Or is it that they're just using old hardware which they haven't phased out yet? Or is it that they somehow buy new hardware but it's weak as well as cheap?

I see advantage of dedicated servers in not having to share CPU with other random things running on other people's VPS, so I'm okay with low-end dedicated servers. But I just want to understand how they work.

** to some optimum, which certainly isn't 1 core and 2 GB DDR3, as KS-1 is

Comments

• hzrhzr Member

It costs money to buy new hardware

It costs money to change hardware out

It's already pre-racked and 'ready to go' and fully automated for installation

• lentrolentro Member, Host Rep

Cost for them is power, internet, and initial hardware costs. OVH has their own data centers. The BHS one is located literally within a hundred meters of a hydroelectric dam. That's cheap power.

Nevertheless, more power is higher costs. That's why the cheapest offers are the ones with the lowest specs. Also, higher specs means more money to buy the hardware, so the cost will be higher, as they spread out the cost over many months for their customers.

I believe OVH's old hardware gets rebranded as SoYouStart or Kimsufi. It still works well, though. (Correct me if I am wrong)

• Next to you is a power station
    You have a good relationship with the power station
    Now you have a bunch of outdated hardware
    You can sell it to the recycle bin for 30 EUR
    Or lease it to someone else at 10 EUR

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@BetaRacks said:
    Next to you is a power station
    You have a good relationship with the power station
    Now you have a bunch of outdated hardware
    You can sell it to the recycle bin for 30 EUR
    Or lease it to someone else at 10 EUR

Welcome and congrats on your first comment.

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran
    1. Get a huge bag of cash from the French Government.

2. ???

3. Le Profit