Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Premium bandwidth for live video distribution in the USA
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Premium bandwidth for live video distribution in the USA

Hi,

What provider or network combination can I choose to ensure the best user experience for real-time live video delivery (can't use CDN, it isn't HLS or Dash, unfortunately) in the United States?

Our current datacenter which is InterNap isn't working well within United States and users complain. I'm planning to support it with premium bandwidth servers hosted somewhere else (within Texas or nearby) which will act as a CDN to deliver end-users.

I've checked datapacket.com but they usually include cogent and most isps will choose cogent route if they have cogent in their bland and I wanna stay away from cogent. I'd prefer something with direct Comcast and direct links to other major US ISPs such as AT&T and others. CenturyLink/Level3 in the mix would be nice in my opinion.

Thank you.

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited March 2020

FYI comcast is around $1 to $2/mbit even in bulk
    Realize what you want will be $20/mbit or something

Francisco

• What are you using for real-time live? Even webRTC has CDN for that.. Unlikely you could scale without CDN or similar setup of your own to spread out the load.

If your traffics pattern is consistent and volume is damn big, plant your server within comcast DC or peer them directly.

• We're using something similar to webrtc, it's called nano server which converts RTMP video into their prop. format and delivers video via websockets.

Volume is around 1000 viewers in any given moment at 1.3 Mbps average for each stream so it's not that huge and it's nowhere near saturating our 2x 10Gbe connectivity.

WebRTC can't use CDN, but it can be proxied at nearest edge location. Our solution is not based on Webrtc unfortunately...

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

When it comes to guaranteeing traffic rates nothing beats distance to eye-balls. Whether you measure this in Countries, BGP hops, peering/transit or physical distance is really just a matter of budget. Every hop is at best the same quality, at worst saturated. This is why Netflix puts servers with specific ISPs, can't get any closer than that giving their traffic the best chance.

If I where you I would look into architecture before worrying about the small gains between transit providers.

You mention dual 10G for example, why not for example setup 3x10 servers (east, west, central)? Or you know, employ a company that does this if that's within your budget.

• SCAM_DONT_BUYSCAM_DONT_BUY Member
    edited March 2020

You should take a look at @Hivelocity. As far as I know they should be perfect for your needs, I can also highly recommend them.

• HivelocityHivelocity Member, Patron Provider

@muratai said:
    Hi,

What provider or network combination can I choose to ensure the best user experience for real-time live video delivery (can't use CDN, it isn't HLS or Dash, unfortunately) in the United States?

Our current datacenter which is InterNap isn't working well within United States and users complain. I'm planning to support it with premium bandwidth servers hosted somewhere else (within Texas or nearby) which will act as a CDN to deliver end-users.

I've checked datapacket.com but they usually include cogent and most isps will choose cogent route if they have cogent in their bland and I wanna stay away from cogent. I'd prefer something with direct Comcast and direct links to other major US ISPs such as AT&T and others. CenturyLink/Level3 in the mix would be nice in my opinion.

Thank you.

Interesting news regarding INAP today- https://datacenterfrontier.com/colocation-provider-inap-files-for-chapter-11-bankruptcy/?utm_content=buffer86fdb&utm_medium=social&utm_source=linkedin.com&utm_campaign=buffer

• I used to see really good connectivity to ATT, Comcast and most other ISPs in the US using Softlayer.
    They are still fairly expensive, even through resellers like zenex5ive and others, and I haven't used them in good 3-4 years, but when I did - the quality of their bandwidth was beyond amazing. Might be worth looking into them

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2020

Doesn't CloudFlare support websockets? Not understanding your reasoning for CDN being impossible.

If you don't want to go CDN, then there's still the question, what exactly is the problem you're having with InterNap? Is there heavy packet loss to the users who are complaining that's limiting the TCP bandwidth? Video distribution, even for live video, shouldn't need super low-latency unless you're doing video conferencing (in which case I don't think delivering video over TCP will ever be effective).

• reverse proxy to websockets is not a CDN, it is a reverse proxy and cloudflare requires a yearly contract which we canceled a few months ago and they won't go for cloudflare again.

Interesting news about Internap. I guess it's time to change datacenter before it's too late.