Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which Free Control Panel do you recommend?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which Free Control Panel do you recommend?

LeeLee Veteran

Just been chatting to an old customer who wants to move his sites to a VPS but wants a control panel to do the majority of the lifting.

I was going to recommend Virtualmin but thought I would ask here first, not used any free panels since I gave VestaCP a test about 3 years ago.

What are you using/recommending?

Thanked by 1DewlanceVPS

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Directadmin.

Francisco

Thanked by 2Autizmo JasonM
  • LeeLee Veteran
    edited March 2020

Francisco said: Directadmin.

Yeah, not free with Linode.

Edit: Mind you I guess the $24 annual license might be enough, I doubt any free panel has any less quirkiness than DirectAdmin.

• I would never use a panel at all but I once saw CentOS webpanel and it looked pretty decent. I guess it depends what you want to do.

Thanked by 1denellum
  • @Lee said:

How many domains?

Cyberpanel is decent, so is YuNoHost.

Otherwise, DA personal and ApisCp personal are both decent. Options.

• LeeLee Veteran

seriesn said: How many domains?

6, but they are pretty decent in terms of traffic, all historical sites, pretty popular but he is getting nowhere with regular hosts in terms of performance. Hence he wants to do it this way (not arguing for or against, his decision, not getting into the debate of it).

• Plesk has less quirkiness than Directadmin.

We offer Plesk 10 domains for free on all 2GB ram+ plans, but that might not be of much help if you love Linode too much :).

• LeeLee Veteran

Synatiq said: f you love Linode too much

I don't but he does :)

• Mm centoswebpanel Is the best free

• lentrolentro Member, Host Rep

Virtualmin definetly. I think open source is better than paid because anyone can contribute to the codebase. I find it to be easier to use then cPanel, Plesk, and DirectAdmin. Plus, it is under active development. I have submitted feature requests and bug reports for them to be fixed and released in a few days.

Try out Virtualmin and some other free panels and then make a decision.

Try signing up with a free hosting account on ISODME - we use Virtualmin. Oh wait, I still need a few more posts and a provider tag to sell ;)

Anyways, best of luck!

• AndruAndru Member

I would recommend CyberPanel. Easy to use and they have some kind of wiki where you can find some little help, if you need.

• +1 to Cyberpanel

• Virtualmin setup will be fastest.

Thanked by 1sucre13
  • LeeLee Veteran

Suggested he tries Virtualmin first, it's open-source and longstanding so a decent place to start, thanks all.

• CentOS Web Panel (CWP) has many handy features

• Cyberpanel is my first choice.

• BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

Webuzo did the work for my clients.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 2020

@Lee said:

Edit: Mind you I guess the $24 annual license might be enough, I doubt any free panel has any less quirkiness than DirectAdmin.

Has to be linode? What location ?

• LeeLee Veteran

Clouvider said: Has to be linode? What location ?

Yes, in Dallas, he loves Linode. Takes all sorts :)

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited March 2020

ISPConfig :)
    Also: Keyhelp

• JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

Good choice with Virtualmin and Linode, the I/O and network speed in London where I tested was amazing!

Thanked by 1lentro
  • new to this and all but in recent times i too was trying to find a simple panel to use that was also free. I found Aapanel ended up being the best one. (IMO) perhaps give that one a try.

• @Lee said:

seriesn said: How many domains?

6, but they are pretty decent in terms of traffic, all historical sites, pretty popular but he is getting nowhere with regular hosts in terms of performance. Hence he wants to do it this way (not arguing for or against, his decision, not getting into the debate of it).

If it's just hosting and wants performance, that's Centminmod.

Thanked by 1eva2000
  • For personal stuff. I use fastpanel. It is very simple and easy to use.

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@bladenode said:
    For personal stuff. I use fastpanel. It is very simple and easy to use.

Congrats on your first post

This thread is about recommendations for free control panels. Fastpanel isn't free (as far as I can tell).

• AndruAndru Member

@angstrom said:

@bladenode said:

This thread is about recommendations for free control panels. Fastpanel isn't free (as far as I can tell).

Fastpanel is free for now. I dont know how long it will last .. Just create an account and you will see is free. TIP order for 60 months :D

• angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited March 2020

@zuby2402 said:

@angstrom said:

@bladenode said:

Fastpanel is free for now. I dont know how long it will last .. Just create an account and you will see is free. TIP order for 60 months :D

Hmm, what I read is:

Within the limited advertising campaign you will receive your full-functional version of FASTPANEL® without restriction on the number of sites for a period of no less than 18 months absolutely free of charge. FASTPANEL® reserves the right to change the license status to commercial at any time after this period, but with a notification of not less than 6 months.

Given this text, it would be misleading to recommend Fastpanel as a free control panel without qualification. When people speak of a free control panel, this is not what they mean.

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • rubenruben Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2020

Ympker said: ISPConfig

I can also recommend ISPConfig. +1 :smile:

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • For features, definitely Virtualmin. The learning curve is quite steep though.
    For ease of use, probably VestaCP or CyberPanel.

• Any thoughts about froxlor?

• if you want free go with vestacp on ubuntu,
    and Directadmin for the paid version.