Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Renting server hardware to colo them on your own
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Renting server hardware to colo them on your own

IvanIvan Member
edited March 2020 in General

Hi there,

Just a question that came to mind. Are there any US providers out there that would "rent" out their server hardware to a person that wants to colo in a different datacenter (specifically in bulk)?

Not lease to own per se, but just renting the hardware.

I figured that a server hardware wholesaler may or may not do this (since they're more interested in outright selling it), anyone know of any?
I'm not interested in a financing option as well since this would be hard for me to obtain as I'm not a US resident. However, I would also be interested to eventually buy over the server hardware that I'm renting after, say, 1 year or so.

Comments

• deankdeank Member, Troll

A fine recipe for disaster (for renter).

• @Ivan said:
    Hi there,

Just a question that came to mind. Are there any US providers out there that would "rent" out their server hardware to a person that wants to colo in a different datacenter (specifically in bulk)?

I figured that a server hardware wholesaler may or may not do this (since they're more interested in outright selling it), anyone know of any?
    I'm not interested in a financing option as well since this would be hard for me to obtain as I'm not a US resident. However, I would also be interested to eventually buy over the server hardware that I'm renting after, say, 1 year or so.

Companies such as dell and hp would lease out hardwares.

• DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

What are you looking for?

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

So are you basically just wanting someone to finance the hardware for you, then colo it for you (but you pay them instead), since you're unable to? I'm kinda confused so it will clear things up.

Thanked by 1ViridWeb
  • ActavusActavus Member
    edited March 2020

@Ivan said:

Yes. Not lease to own option below (Rent Only):

1) On your behalf they will negotiate with a colocation company of your choosing.
    2) You will pay 17% of the total cost of the hardware monthly (You will have paid the cost of the hardware within 6 months AND still pay that amount monthly).
    3) Additional $10,000/month in support to pay for flying out to support and replace hardware (Amount to increase the more hardware involved)
    3) They will own the colocation account - you pay them the monthly amount negotiated with the colocation company and the rent company pays the bill. (This is on top of the 10k + 17%)
    4) You are renting the server - you are not authorized to ever touch or see the hardware itself.
    5) Your contract will be multi-year with deposit. Guaranteed by business assets of your multi-million dollar company. Along with proof of your business profitability.

TLDR: Lease to own directly with the company your planning to do colocation with, or your stupid thinking a company is willing to do 3rd party remote financing and support without making a decent profit.

Explain like im five: Your not a multi-million dollar company who can afford this route, go home.

@Ivan said:
    However, I would also be interested to eventually buy over the server hardware that I'm renting after, say, 1 year or so.

Your looking for lease to own. You just said above you dont want lease to own.
    If so, do lease to own by contacting the colocation company directly to see if they offer this.

• IvanIvan Member

Hmm, okay. I'll look around and see what lease-to-own options there are.

Basically I'm looking to see if there are hardware wholesalers/resellers out there that would rent out hardware that they they already own.

• ViridWebViridWeb Member, Host Rep

@Ivan said:
    Hmm, okay. I'll look around and see what lease-to-own options there are.

Basically I'm looking to see if there are hardware wholesalers/resellers out there that would rent out hardware that they they already own.

Wholesalers will work only lease to own basis..
    Not rent like a normal dedicated server..

And you have to sign contract with them and pay a good amount of money at the beginning..
    Remaining you can pay with EMIs with interest.

Also most of them will give you these benefits only when you order bulk not individual servers.

For individual servers or even bulk, try to contact the colo provider they can give you good offer through their suppliers..

• PulsedMediaPulsedMedia Member, Patron Provider

You cannot get financing, you said you do not want financing, but you are asking people to finance you never the less.

Rent is just another form of getting 3rd party financing - but where the cost never goes down nor you don't ever get to own the hardware. Thus monthly cost tends to be less than outright financing, but it's still a form of financing; Someone else paid for the hardware to give it to you in hopes of profit.

I do not see anyone crazy enough to give you full hardware considering you have no reliable finances. Who in their right mind would say invest 100k $ into hardware, in the hopes you may or may not pay them? No one.

Go with dedicated servers, that's the normal form of renting hardware.

• Yes it's possible! Just rent a dedicated server in the data center you want to colo in. Problem solved.

• ViridWebViridWeb Member, Host Rep

@marvel said:
    Yes it's possible! Just rent a dedicated server in the data center you want to colo in. Problem solved.

Yes the best colo I can recommend is Hetzner.. :wink:

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • StealthyHostingStealthyHosting Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2020

You are far better just renting dedicated servers from the colo provider and seeing if they can do something for you when you get to the point of operating your own router/ASN. Or transition into a lease-to-own and into a colo type deal.

Else you are looking at equipment leasing, which you will just end up paying far more. Equipment leasing is really only useful for big companies that don't really care about the MRC and they can upgrade every few years with only a small increase to their lease amount.

https://www.datasales.com/ has always been a great provider in the industry for both financing and leasing.

• SpryServers_TabSpryServers_Tab Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2020

LSN will do it, but you have to colo with them, and you have to rent at least 40 servers. This starts at $11,534/mo. They call it a "pod". https://www.limestonenetworks.com/colocation/products.html