Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Launching a product...
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Launching a product...

I have a unique hardware/software based product intended for business / industrial applications. It’s cheap and straightforward to manufacture, based on existing hardware which has CE certification etc covered already.

It’s feature complete and I would say ready to sell.

I’m a one-man-band based in Scotland, with more of an R&D background and I want to take this thing to market in some way.

No market research completed, no website and no business plan for this one as yet - I initially developed this for my own use then realised it’s a lot more unique and useful than I thought.

I can build a sales website in a couple of days and a business plan in a few but don’t really know where to go from here - how to price (one-off plus optional service plan?), or basically, how to take it to market.

I’ve bootstrapped to date, no investment and with low funds.

Can anyone give me some advice on how I could take this new invention to market?

Also, if anyone is interested in getting involved in some capacity, feel free to let me know.

Comments

• Without knowing your widget, you're not going to get good responses.

If your invention is new, you need to do your own CE testing, otherwise you didn't invent anything except rebranding an existing product.

• The invention is more software based - app and custom OS. Hardware is generic off the shelf.

• LeviLevi Member

We need more details. If you afraid to share - than hire people to do marketing. Its not your area.

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

One of my current projects I am involved in is a IOT device launching for a specific industry. I've been involved in it for 3 years now, and we are currently completing a pilot and focusing on commercialization - so I have some experience to offer here.

Bringing a product to the wider market without reasonable capital investment is probably a no-go. Honestly it costs more than you might think. I would suggest instead just target a narrow niche market if you are lacking in capital.

Non exhaustive list of things to consider before starting any work:
    - Software Licences (are you using any GPL software?)
    - Hardware certification (just because your modules are certified does not mean you are certified)
    - Sourcing of certified peripherals (e.g power supplies)
    - Marketing, Market size (is it worth it?), Business plan.
    - Availability of existing components (supply chain)
    - Support requirements.

Be prepared to invest heavily.

You may already know of it but I thoroughly recommend BalenaCloud for fleet management. We have been using it for a couple years now, and it's great.