Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CMS - Java or PHP? Liferay or Joomla?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

CMS - Java or PHP? Liferay or Joomla?

I read that I need a lot of RAM to install Liferay (at least 1Gb ram or a bit more).
When I compare with PHP options, I can ran a Content Management System for 512Mb of RAM.
My specialization is in Java (development) and I do not know anything of PHP.
This could be the reply: yes, you can work in what you are good.
But, I can learn PHP, too, if this were the problem.

Liferay looks like more powerful as a CMS, specially when you are creating something great.

I read some reviews here:
http://cmsharbor.com/products/compare/6,24,47/joomla-vs-liferay-portal-vs-wordpress
http://web-cms.findthebest.com/compare/3-42/Joomla-vs-Liferay-Portal

I liked this info, too:
http://w3techs.com/technologies/comparison/cm-joomla,cm-liferay

Here I could read:

Summarizing, I would say:

If you want to use a Java-based portal, or to build a wide, complex portal, I recommend Liferay without restrictions;
If you want to create an application which manages a lot of content, Liferay is a good platform to do it and I think it may be the best choice;
If your application is big but not content-centric, I would not recommend Liferay but it can be useful;
If your application does not manage a lot of content and is potentially small, Liferay probably will add more complexity than it is worth.

In the Liferay's forum people reply why they decided to Liferay:
http://www.liferay.com/pt/community/forums/-/message_boards/message/3543816

Maybe here are the best replies about Liferay compared with Joomla and Drupal.

I'd like to ask you if you have experience in Liferay or Joomla in VPS and if you can help me in my decision.
Maybe there are other BEST options that I have never read about.

Thank you!

Comments

• tuxtux Member

drupal

• My strongest reply is that it 1. easier to deploy, 2. easier for developers, 4. more customizable, 5. doesn't have a stupid made-up name, 6. uses the jedi force, 7. has been recommended by technicians that I trust and admire, and finally, 8. it meets ALL my web app requirements.

Just a fyi, ALL of these are semantics. Choose the one you understand better, if you understand a bit of PHP -- pick Joomla, or Drupal, or whatever really. That'll help you customize.

If you like Java, then do Liferay. But yes, the vm and tomcat engine will need around a gig to be somewhat optimal, with more being needed for busy sites.

• I think the NICE part of to use PHP is the fact than Coders are cheaper than Java ones.
    But in my case, I do NOT KNOW php, not Java. :)

It looks like that Liferay is a lot more powerful when you are working in a big team, etc.

The worst thing is the cost (long time) of the server when you use Java. Something like 2x the php price.

• drupal + drush

• smansman Member

+1 for drupal. It can do everything and search engines love it.

• Simple. Learn PHP. It is quite easy to pickup especially if you know a language that uses a C like syntax.

I recommend WordPress. It is far better for small to medium size sites and it can do large sites too. Joomla and Drupal are for large complex sites and are often too complicated for simple sites. Remember that the CMS is just the platform on which you develop your site. The content matters far more. If the CMS makes it difficult to add content then it is no good. WordPress has a renown admin user interface that makes it easy to add content.

Also for a small to medium site powered by a PHP CMS even a 256MB RAM VPS will suffice. So compare that to your Java CMS requirements.

• About drupal: I will install at localhost to make a test. I have never used it for anything and I can not say good or bad things about it. It is better to see by my eyes, right?

@Abdussamad
    About wordpress: I have used Wordpress for a long time in a few domains I have. It is really easy to manage.
    The "problem" I see is about to correct the theme after a few upgrades.
    Nothing really difficult, but Wordpress has a new version from 15 to 30 days. \o/ (what is good and bad)

:)

Thank you for your participation!

• smansman Member
    edited August 2013

Try install Drupal with drush. It's much easier in the long run but a bit more of a learning curve up front.

There is nothing you cannot do with Drupal. Some of the largest sites on the internet use Drupal. So it is the only CMS you will ever have to use for anything. It works perfectly fine for small blog sites too. With the others there are limitations but they do tend to have an easier learning curve.

The one thing I think is better about Wordpress is that it has a lot of free decent looking themes if you just want a basic blog site.

• @sman said:
    The one thing I think is better about Wordpress is that it has a lot of free decent looking themes if you just want a basic blog site.

But then again it's nothing easier than create or modify own Drupal theme.

Drupal may seems a bit complicated in the beginning but once you learn it you can do basicly whatever you want from it. From small blog site to big community site with forums, eCommerce or.. whatever. D6 was nice but D7 is awesome.

• I think all you came from PHP world. heheheh

• I think Liferay is more of portal to deploy your portlets. It depends on what you need. Maybe Wordpress may suit you, or Drupal.

• Where will you use your CMS?

• @DragonDF said:
    I think all you came from PHP world. heheheh

I come from a Java world. Liferay is a lot more heavy. It's a powerful enterprise portal - as is a lot of Java applications. The difference between PHP and Java is just that. You'll see more enterprise Java applications vs consumer PHP applications.

@Wintereise said:
    If you like Java, then do Liferay. But yes, the vm and tomcat engine will need around a gig to be somewhat optimal, with more being needed for busy sites.

Says a PHP guy :p so due to this statement, I'm voting for Liferay!

• @jcaleb said:
    Where will you use your CMS?

Maybe a mistake about what you want to know, but I will use to create a portal with: articles, news, videos, etc. Maybe 1K to 15K access (unique IP) by day after 1st month.
    It will be a religious portal.

@concerto49 said:
    I come from a Java world. Liferay is a lot more heavy. It's a powerful enterprise portal - as is a lot of Java applications. The difference between PHP and Java is just that. You'll see more enterprise Java applications vs consumer PHP applications.

I agree with you at this point.
    Banks usually use JAVA to run their applications, not PHP. At least in my country.
    Big government 'companies' prefer contract Java coders.

At least ONE. hahahah

CAN YOU HELP ME?
    What is the technology (language) this portal is using?
    padrepauloricardo.org

I could get this info:
    http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?site=http://www.padrepauloricardo.org/

• Have you looked at Alfresco? Java. The guys behind it are the makers of a now very very enterprise corporate cms.

• @DragonDF in that case I recommend PHP based

• WintereiseWintereise Member
    edited August 2013

The only real difference between PHP and /some other language/ is availability (And it lacks proper daemoning capabilities, even with gearman and the like).

PHP is just available wherever the hell you look, in a hosting environment.

That said, I definitely do not recommend Wordpress. It's a chore to manage with its zero days every n days.

Not sure how good drupal is at that now, but whatever you pick, don't do wp.

...wat

• Use Java based if you have tons of money to throw away

• @Wintereise said:
    ...wat

I'm just voting no since you voted yes. That's what :p

@Wintereise said:
    Not sure how good drupal is at that now, but whatever you pick, don't do wp.

Drupal isn't bad. Haven't used it directly, but indirectly (as in others in the team).

• @concerto49 said:
    Have you looked at Alfresco? Java. The guys behind it are the makers of a now very very enterprise corporate cms.

1st time I read about it.

7 million users. 4 billion documents managed. Over 1,300 customers in 180 countries.

It does not look like a BAD product. :)

But what is the name of this "enterprise corporate" product?

• smansman Member
    edited August 2013

It's not Java vs php. They work together nicely. Php is the server side and java for client side. Its not either/or. Drupal, for example, has standard jquery libraries built in.

• @sman said:
    It's not Java vs php. They work together nicely. Php is the server side and java for client side. Its not either/or. Drupal, for example, has standard jquery libraries built in.

What?

• @jcaleb said:
    What?

He thinks Java is JavaScript. That's what :)

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • smansman Member
    edited August 2013

@concerto49 said:
    He thinks Java is JavaScript. That's what :)

Well yea. They are the same language. I guess you are talking java framework. I don't know anything about liferay.

• Back to topic, I will choose PHP if I'm not backed by good funding (e.g. personal, small company)

The reason is, most PHP based CMS have bazillions of working plugins for common stuff that you need. If you can't find any that suits your needs, it is easy/cheap to develop your own plugin.

For Liferay, the number of their built in plugins is tiny compared to major PHP CMS. The learning curve to try to develop portlets is big. Will cost so much time and money.

• @sman said:
    Well yea. They are the same language. I guess you are talking java framework. I don't know anything about liferay.

They aren't the same language :(

JavaScript is client side technology run on a browser until node.js decided to screw that up :p

Java is mostly a server side technology that resides on the JVM. There is also Java webstart and applets, which are client side technologies. Java is a general programming language closer to C/C++ but is portable to different operating systems.

• @sman said:

Javascript has nothing to do with java. It is a totally different programming language.

@DragonDF said:
    Abdussamad
    About wordpress: I have used Wordpress for a long time in a few domains I have. It is really easy to manage.
    The "problem" I see is about to correct the theme after a few upgrades.
    Nothing really difficult, but Wordpress has a new version from 15 to 30 days. \o/ (what is good and bad)

Thank you for your participation!

You are right about the frequent updates but a few things you should also consider:

• Open source software always gets frequent updates. Whether it is for bug fixes or new features development is on going so updates are pushed out frequently too.

• Updating wordpress is easier than updating drupal or joomla. On most hosts you just click on a button and the update is automatically installed.

• Because wordpress is easier to update there are more WP installations running the latest version than Drupal or Joomla installations. This is better from a security point of view.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited August 2013

Updating wordpress is easier than updating drupal or joomla. On most hosts you just click on a button and the update is automatically installed.

5 -10 seconds to update all plugins in Drupal 7 (click on a button and plugins are automatically updated) and 30 - 60 seconds to extract and overwrite Drupal core files and type /update.php. I can't say for Joomla however I waste around 2 minutes (reading what's new in this version included) every month or two to keep Drupal updated.

• Wordpress for common stuff, Drupal if you need power and flexibility