Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Issues with porkbun, incase any one may help - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Issues with porkbun, incase any one may help

Comments

• @oborseth

This is the reason why I'll always keep my 30+ domains with you all.

I've never had nothing but great experiences than you, but this was rather just a mis-unfortunate situation for @agentmishra - They'll make it up to you.

Sure they could've handled it better at first to you; but they always want us to be happy with their services.

Just glad to see PB living up to my expectations.

Not shilling, but you should follow porkbun twitter; sometimes ms. porkbun gives out free stickers and mails them to you :smile:

Thanked by 1agentmishra
  • tl;dr make sure to do appropriate blacklist checks when buying a domain.

Thanked by 2xaoc agentmishra
  • Suspension is fine as long as the option to unsuspend is present in the control panel.

Thanked by 1agentmishra
  • TerenasTerenas Member
    edited February 2020

I have been thinking about this a lot, as it started bothering me when i read the first post.

My thinking was; well if i had moved all of my domains there, the one domain with the mx where all the hostmaster@, abuse@,... addresses point could get suspended and then i would have to worry about missing something important.

Now i do understand you have 2 missions.
    *) Comply with your contractual obligations
    *) make users happy

So i am thinking how could you turn this to your advantage? .... Maybe turn the auto suspend into a feature? Like: Give an option to enable/disable the instant auto suspension, otherwise send a warning mail and suspend after 24 if no reply to the "ticket" happens?
    (i would probably opt into that for the majority of domains i have)

Alternatively: maybe provide the option to add an exception to 1 domain where the auto suspend happens to all, except for the 1 "admin/service" domain. And then implement a manual review process for those?

edit:
    Thinking about this, as i have 2 domains with you that point to a service that might be considered controversial (it-security related).

Thanked by 1agentmishra
  • @tester4 said:
    That's actual madness, a domain registrar suspending a domain based off the opinion of a 3rd party (Even Google can make mistakes). I'll also be transferring out.

Just considering the same. Where are you planning to transfer your domains to? I'll be happy to learn about another registrar with a saner policy (like issuing at least 1 warning prior to suspending).

Thanked by 1agentmishra
  • dragon2611dragon2611 Member
    edited February 2020

@xaoc said:
    Suspension is fine as long as the option to unsuspend is present in the control panel.

No it really isn't, suspending a domain that's on a blacklist from BEFORE it was purchased is never fine. If a domain has gone through the deletion process and then released back into the pool having the new owner deal with the fallout from the previous owner is NOT fine.

Also shame on google for not keeping their blacklists up2date.

It prooves the whole domain recycling and release proccess is not fit for purpose.

Thanked by 1agentmishra
  • @dragon2611 said:

@xaoc said:
    Suspension is fine as long as the option to unsuspend is present in the control panel.

No it really isn't, suspending a domain that's on a blacklist from BEFORE it was purchased is never fine. If a domain has gone through the deletion process and then released back into the pool having the new owner deal with the fallout from the previous owner is NOT fine.

Also shame on google for not keeping their blacklists up2date.

It prooves the whole domain recycling and release proccess is not fit for purpose.

For prior issues a notice on the purchase page should be enough, yes.

Thanked by 1agentmishra
  • Sorry for hijacking this thread.

@oberseth Do you have any offers for .co domain transfers ? I know this isn't the right thread, but curiosity drains me up.

Alias thank you for letting us know your process and responding. I never knew such things exist before.

P.s : Most of the expired domains are SEO spammed & used as PBN where both cases are blacklisted on Google. It's a shame thing that re-registerers facing numerous issues regarding bcz of that.
    But Google's Gaints Monopoly is not good anyhow.

Thanked by 1agentmishra
  • FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

@Deepak_leb said:
    oberseth Do you have any offers for .co domain transfers ? I know this isn't the right thread, but curiosity drains me up.

Or LET exclusive coupons will be great :D (I am waiting)

• @FAT32 said:

@Deepak_leb said:
    oberseth Do you have any offers for .co domain transfers ? I know this isn't the right thread, but curiosity drains me up.

Or LET exclusive coupons will be great :D (I am waiting)

Indeed, that would be a good deal ❤️

Thanked by 1agentmishra
  • @dragon2611 said:

@xaoc said:

** Also shame on google for not keeping their blacklists up2date.**

What does that mean? It's up to the domain owner to clean up their shit and get removed from the list themselves. Just changing owners should NOT automatically remove it from the list, that's silly and undermines the whole purpose of a safe list.

A restaurant gets a failing food safety rating. Restaurant sells to another owner. Bad rating gets removed with an inspection showing the problem is resolved or else the bad rating stays attached to the restaurant.

This would be like the food supplier to the restaurant saying, "we're not selling you any more food until you get your food rating fixed".

This mostly comes down to due diligence, applicable to many things in life.

Thanked by 2agentmishra oborseth
  • defaultdefault Veteran
    edited March 2020

F*ck Google. I don't care about their blacklists or their services. If Pokbun is accepting Google's monopoly over internet, then it's obvious I need to move my domains away from Porkbun... even though it was good while it lasted.

Goodbye to Porkbun, and I hope Porkbun will feel more secure with Google as their loyal (competitor) partner. It will be a great time for domain offers this Easter.

• agentmishraagentmishra Member, Host Rep

things are now normal. my domain is unsuspended and google blacklist removed

i agree to all the here, who said why be based or biased over googles reputation

moreover, say any of us, if tomorrow, write to a registrar, for any obnoxious domain behavior, will the registrar suspend that domain?

but any which ways, i did get things done and all of your help...

thanks

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • AMXRTAMXRT Member

moreover, say any of us, if tomorrow, write to a registrar, for any obnoxious domain behavior, will the registrar suspend that domain?

Of course they will, if they already showed off their capacity to suspend any domain in such a careless way.

Anyone could send a fake abuse report on your domain and they will suspend it without verifying contents, like hosthatch does with their VPS customers.

Thanked by 1agentmishra
  • @default said:
    F*ck Google. I don't care about their blacklists or their services. If Pokbun is accepting Google's monopoly over internet, then it's obvious I need to move my domains away from Porkbun... even though it was good while it lasted.

Goodbye to Porkbun, and I hope Porkbun will feel more secure with Google as their loyal (competitor) partner. It will be a great time for domain offers this Easter.

A touch overdramatic, no? I mean, the intention of the blacklist is to prevent spam, malware and botnets from proliferating and spreading on the Internet (I applaud the efforts). We'd get pissed off if they were sitting around doing nothing watching all that shit happen when they have the resources to combat it. In Google's case, I believe they give you a warning page and you can make an exception and Porkbun has stopped this process of automatic suspension as of now. It wasn't even a false positive, it even alerted the new domain that they were on Google's shitlist, something he otherwise didn't know.

Google also doesn't resolve your domain if your DNS key is wrong but other DNS providers do. That isn't supposed to mean to avoid Google DNS, it's "fix 'yo shit" heads up.

Thanked by 1agentmishra
  • @TimboJones said:

A touch overdramatic, no? I mean, the intention of the blacklist is to prevent spam, malware and botnets from proliferating and spreading on the Internet (I applaud the efforts). We'd get pissed off if they were sitting around doing nothing watching all that shit happen when they have the resources to combat it.

Like i said, i would be happy to have it as a feature that i can OPT INTO.
    (Preferably with a selection of other lists as well)

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited March 2020

@Terenas said:

@TimboJones said:

A touch overdramatic, no? I mean, the intention of the blacklist is to prevent spam, malware and botnets from proliferating and spreading on the Internet (I applaud the efforts). We'd get pissed off if they were sitting around doing nothing watching all that shit happen when they have the resources to combat it.

Yet I am called as "overdramatic". I guess some people really love when a domain is blocked by registrar, because hey... Google blacklisted it. Forget about "opt into" or about "notifications" or "warnings", Google knows best and is always correct. If I dare to quit Porkbun, then I am an overdramatic sheep.

I stand by my point: Goodbye Porkbun! Time to search for other domain offers this Easter.

• @default said:
    Yet I am called as "overdramatic". I guess some people really love when a domain is blocked by registrar, because hey... Google blacklisted it.

This just reflects the fact, i have a couple of domains for family members,... and i have experienced some old wordpress getting hacked and the thing sending spam mails...

So if i can opt into an automatic temp. suspension with a nice page that i can prerferably define myself. sure... Suspend it for a couple of hours, ill go fix it right up and disable the feature.

Thanked by 2default agentmishra
  • NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

@oborseth

Very reasonable and honest response, specially considering the fact that you recognized this customer was not even responsible for the abuse, since we were previously under the impression that he probably had a compromised site.

Lunar said: why do registrars such as internetbs and other ICANN accredited registrars get away with this?

Internet.bs has not tolerated abuse for many years already, but they did in the past, yes. Of course as a competitor in the industry, Porkbun shouldn't talk about this, but it was a well known fact, you're right. There has always been some known registrars which tolerate blatant abuse and don't get their accreditations revoked, so the bar for a revocation must be set pretty high or is nearly non existent.

Thanked by 2agentmishra oborseth
  • AMXRTAMXRT Member

In reality, the accreditation revocation due to abuse is a myth for naive users. There are plenty of good registrars who respect freedom of speech and expression on the Internet without following idiotic principles and policies of some mainstream registrars (who should be strongly avoided). I thought porkbun was from the first category, but turns out I was wrong.

Thanked by 2ralph agentmishra
  • oborsethoborseth Member, Host Rep

There are a lot of comments over the weekend and I can't deep dive into each one but I do want to reiterate that we switched course on this particular practice since it erroneously affected a user. Our intent was not to suspend a legitimate domain, obviously, our intent was to deal with phishing sites, malware distribution, and botnets; all of which we do not want using our services for reasons that should need no explanation. Although it's illusive, I promise we're striving for 100% perfection :) Even as we continue to grow, the most important thing is to do right by our users and I'll always be pushing us to do better.

Peace!

• @Terenas said:

@TimboJones said:

That makes no sense for a blacklist. It's not for you, it's for them and everyone else.

Thanked by 1agentmishra
  • @oborseth said:
    There are a lot of comments over the weekend and I can't deep dive into each one but I do want to reiterate that we switched course on this particular practice since it erroneously affected a user. Our intent was not to suspend a legitimate domain, obviously, our intent was to deal with phishing sites, malware distribution, and botnets; all of which we do not want using our services for reasons that should need no explanation. Although it's illusive, I promise we're striving for 100% perfection :) Even as we continue to grow, the most important thing is to do right by our users and I'll always be pushing us to do better.

Peace!

I'd suggest doing the Google safe domain check during registration/transfer so the user is alerted to the fact before they start using it. I would consider that a beneficial feature.

• @AMXRT said:
    There are plenty of good registrars who respect freedom of speech and expression on the Internet without following idiotic principles and policies of some mainstream registrars (who should be strongly avoided).

What are those registrars you're talking about? If they're actually doing that, I would be happy to move my domains to them.

Thanked by 1agentmishra
  • gazmullgazmull Member
    edited March 2020

@quicksilver03 said:

What are those registrars you're talking about? If they're actually doing that, I would be happy to move my domains to them.

A quick glance of the article mentioned them in first paragraph:
    The group includes Public Interest Registry, GoDaddy, Donuts, Tucows, Amazon Registry Services, Inc., Blacknight Solutions, Afilias, Name.com, Amazon Registrar, Inc., Neustar and Nominet UK.

They're also listed in the PDF file linked in the article just to confirm.

Thanked by 1agentmishra
  • The way I read the @AMXRT post and the PDF, those would be the registrars to avoid (the mainstream registrars following idiotic principles and policies).

Not a native English speaker though, so happy to be proven wrong.

Thanked by 1agentmishra
  • agentmishraagentmishra Member, Host Rep

google whitelisted the domain

but getting some unusual traffic to my site...

• Earlier last year I was planning on moving all my domains to Porkbun (couple hundred at the time), but to test them out i transferred 3 over for around 6 months. I run perfectly legal sites but in an industry which can sometimes be used for abuse (trackers, proxies, downloads). It's not unusual for me to see a couple safe browsing issues across all 150~ domains over the course of a year. All of which instantly get whitelisted after submitting a request to google with no change to the actual website content.

Back in November I got one of these emails saying one of my domains was suspended, contacted support asking if it was standard procedure for Porkbun to suspend a domain based off information from a 3rd party without actually ever contacting the registrant first. Their reply was that they generally haven't false positives from Google Safe browsing; Generally? So the false positive percentage, no matter how small was acceptable to just suspend customer domains?

I got support to unsuspended my domains and moved them away and wont be using them as a registrar.

I'm happy to read that they have disable this auto suspension.

• srch07srch07 Member
    edited November 2020

@oborseth

Seems like you guys have again started doing something Shady with domains.
    It has been almost a week with my new domain suspended, which is on my official name (abhishekanand.info), and all it has is a Wordpress installation with 3 page theme.

And in this 7 days of follow up with Porkbun, I have yet to know why it was banned in first place or what the official complain was about.

Your live support keeps repeating to contact abuse team, and your abuse team keeps saying it was reported for spam, but what spam? who complained? and why didn't I receive any warning or email that my domain was suspended? And ofcourse since cause is unknown, they can't offer a resolution, this is irresponsibility at multiple levels.

I found out my domain was suspended after I complained to my hosting that my website was down and was scratching my head for a day.

• try reg.com/reg.ru very liberal registrar. Don't at all suspend domains with few pharmacy ones!