Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A member live in China near Wuhan wanna talk about SARS-COV-2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

A member live in China near Wuhan wanna talk about SARS-COV-2

It's 2:13 am, can't sleep, laying on bed, at home about 200km from Wuhan City, Hubei province, China.Not good at English, so I will try my best to describe more exactly.

I work in Wuhan City, go back home 1 day before the public transport suspend.Have passed 14-days self-quarantine period.

We have more than 1 thousand confirmed cases here in my hometown until today, but half of them has been cured.(With whole another province's medical human resource support)

So I wanna to talk about some about the virus, mostly based on what I have known.

DON'T PANIC

First Part:The Virus

The virus still can't confirm the original, but followed by research, the virus still don't have much mutate(less than 0.1%), so we human are delling the same virus now.

The new corona virus is easily infected, we have some sample here in China, one guy in supermarket have close range contact(less than 1 meter) with an infected person(confirmed after that) about 15s, then confirmed infect in next 2 days.Patients covered all age range from new born baby to old man.

The infected will show symptom about 1-7 days after first contact, most should less than 14 days.But in this period, the infected can also spread virus not like 2003 SARS.

Second Part:Vector and Spread

Yes, the virus mostly spread by attached on human body liquid(micro size victor) when infected patient cough.Also can spread by direct contact virus(like use hand with virus on it contact your eyes).

But the infect to human basically depends on the amount of virus, like with open air enviriment, the micro liquid spread to air by cough will be not thick enough to include enough virus to infect normal healthy person.

Third Part:Protect and Control

First at first: DON'T PANIC

Follow your local goverment advice and CDC advice, protect yourself, it's not a big deal.(If your gov and CDC are not trying to hide something like Japan goverment, they request only if you have fever longer than 4 days and have trouble with breathing you can get thr virus-infect-or-not test you believe that???)

The virus is NOT THE BIGEST problem, the PANIC IS.

WEAR MASKS!

N95(US)/FFP2(EU)/KF94(KOR) can block most of the nano particle like virus or the micro liquid particle it attached on.If you wanna go high risk area like hospital which have confirmed patients, or crowd facility like railway staton/air port.

If can't get the high level masks above, use surgery masks also can protect you from short range contact, cause these masks can't block virus itself but can block the nano particle which have virus on it.

WASH HANDS AND CLEAN SURFACE

Wash hands!Even if only use water!

After contact public used objects like door handle or elevator buttons!

If possible use chlorinated disinfectant or 75% alcohol clean suspicious object surface before touch.

STAY AWAY FROM CROWD

I understand some of you can't understand why our goverment place strict order to let citizen stay at home, cause we live in diffirent society and we have the crowded street and lots of population in every single city.The isolation means the best protection.

Just stay away from crowd if un-nessesary.You never know who has been infected before they get the RT-PCR test result.

Italy goverment are doing well, reduce human contact will help reduce confirmed cases.

SOMETHING ELSE

After writing, it's 3:25 am now.

Hope everyone OK.

Comments

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited February 2020

We're all gonna die.

ITS THE END OF THE WORLD

Thanked by 2yoursunny kkrajk
  • pikepike Veteran
    edited February 2020

Robert-Koch-Institute says wearing face masks is useful only to those already infected and helpers/medics, and only in situations where they're exposed to the public/other humans or patients in case of medics. Also regular face masks are not suitable for long-term usage aka. wearing them longer than 20 minutes.

So, to avoid shortages on masks for people that actually need them, it's advised to not buy them.

Washing hands the right way is the most important thing to do.

Also it's advised to get vaccinated against all diseases that affect the lungs.

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2020

Also worth noting that N95 masks are only good for ~8h usage (cumulative not per usage) and are hard to get ahold of in the west for under £10 now.

I'm going without. I'd rather spend £50 on some antiviral whisky than 5 masks.

Stay safe @imfan.

• @jackb said:
    Also worth noting that N95 masks are only good for ~8h usage (cumulative not per usage) and are hard to get ahold of in the west for under £10 now.

Stay safe @imfan.

“antiviral whisky”

edited February 2020

@doghouch said:

@jackb said:

Stay safe @imfan.

“antiviral whisky”

Highly recommend the glenallachie 12yr px. Great for killing coronavirus. It's my current favourite.

Thanked by 2vimalware HostBastic
  • @jackb said:

@doghouch said:

@jackb said:

Stay safe @imfan.

“antiviral whisky”

Highly recommend the glenallachie 12yr px. Great for killing coronavirus.

...and my liver

Thanked by 2jackb Makenai
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

The thing is, that what the chinese said, it kills only the old people was bullshit.
    It can even get your ass if your are young and healthy.

Its rather unlikely but yea.

• HostSlickHostSlick Member, Patron Provider
    edited February 2020

@Neoon said:
    The thing is, that what the chinese said, it kills only the old people was bullshit.

If you get it, it's like Russian roulette.
    Die or survive.

@HostSlick said:

@Neoon said:

If you get it, it's like Russian roulette.
    Die or survive.

Russian roulette has a higher death rate (16%) than coronavirus (0.5-8% depending on source)

• MadRabbitMadRabbit Member
    edited February 2020

I'm not trying to downplay the virus or anything but this panic mongering is getting out of hand. Live blog this and live blog that...ugh.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/time.com/5610878/2018-2019-flu-season/?amp=true

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@MadRabbit said:
    I'm not trying to downplay the virus or anything but this panic mongering is getting out of hand. Live blog this and live blog that...ugh.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/time.com/5610878/2018-2019-flu-season/?amp=true

Coronavirus is new and it's getting the attention of people. That creates fear.

I agree that things are massively overblown.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited February 2020

Also remember that appropriate preparation is not panic. It's stupid not to prepare for it.

jackb said: Russian roulette has a higher death rate

But less people will play it. If 1% of everyone you know dies it's not exactly equivalent. So prepare. Because the rate of infection combined with the fatality rate is the one key (and using one without the other is not doing it justice), and the panic making it difficult to get supplies and medical care is another key. You don't even want the seasonal flu without medicine or food, so make sure to get both because the panic will make those just a little harder.

It doesn't have to be the zombie apocalypse to be bad, and there is a middle ground between flying to China to party and boarding up your windows. Don't panic, but don't be caught with your pants down either.

• People are always talking "Don't compare it to the flu!" Why the hell not? It's a virus like this. Just cause you get an flu shot...quite frankly, it doesn't mean jack. It could be as well be for another strain of the virus that you got vaccinated for and still catch the next one. And no, I'm not some anti vax nutjob.

So far, 16,000 people have died and 280,000 people have been hospitalized during the 2019-2020 flu season - per CDC. That's US alone!

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@MadRabbit said:
    People are always talking "Don't compare it to the flu!" Why the hell not? It's a virus like this. Just cause you get an flu shot...quite frankly, it doesn't mean jack. It could be as well be for another strain of the virus that you got vaccinated for and still catch the next one. And no, I'm not some anti vax nutjob.

So far, 16,000 people have died and 280,000 people have been hospitalized during the 2019-2020 flu season - per CDC. That's US alone!

And the year before:

"CDC’s 2017-2018 estimates of 48.8 million illnesses, 959,000 hospitalizations and 79,400 deaths."

That's in the USA alone.

We're expecting a much higher rate of infection and a significantly higher percentage of deaths than the seasonal flu. From the best that we know thus far, both of those are logical assumptions.

• You're expecting that on what exactly?

@MadRabbit said:
    You're expecting that on what exactly?

Earth

• @jar said:

@MadRabbit said:

Earth

Not sure if that's a stab on my English or..

@MadRabbit said:

@jar said:

@MadRabbit said:

Earth

I don't know how else to answer "on what" in relation, sorry.

• MadRabbitMadRabbit Member
    edited February 2020

@jar said:

@MadRabbit said:

@jar said:

@MadRabbit said:

Earth

What I meant was that on what do you base your assumption/expectation on? Especially the death rate.

edited February 2020

MadRabbit said: What I meant was that on what do you base your assumption on?

It has a higher R0 and death rate based on estimates. Seasonal flu has an R0 of 2-3, 2019-nCoV has been estimated to have an R0 of 1.5-3.5, some sources reporting 1.4-4.08. Conservative death rates are around 2-3% (not yet sure why Iran is reporting upwards of 15%, could be an anomaly in how they're reporting). Estimates expect anywhere from 40-70% of the population to contract the virus.

Sure they're small numbers individually, but they support my statement. You're welcome to consider them fake, it's the best data I've been able to get my hands on to date. I haven't seen any conflicting data supporting a different statement besides things like "lol it's nothing bc I said so." Certainly I won't be in trouble for having some extra food and tylenol on hand.

• @MadRabbit said:

@jar said:

@MadRabbit said:

@jar said:

@MadRabbit said:

Earth

What I meant was that on what do you base your assumption/expectation on? Especially the death rate.

Based on it spreading worse than the flu. If you get symptoms early, like with flu, you know to limit contact and you get better sooner. With this, it takes longer to experience symptoms, so you infect more people before showing symptoms.

And fuck, a 4 day fever? I'm a pussy, a fever for 4 hours would make me a whiny bitch.

Thanked by 1jar
    edited February 2020

I don't panic about viruses, have never, am not today. But I am challenging this idea that this is comparable to the seasonal flu and that it isn't that bad. It's just bad enough to prepare a few things for. I don't want to see all you people stuck at home posting Tylenol delivery offers on LET for $7 ;)

• @imfan said:
    It's 2:13 am, can't sleep, laying on bed, at home about 200km from Wuhan City, Hubei province, China.Not good at English, so I will try my best to describe more exactly.

I work in Wuhan City, go back home 1 day before the public transport suspend.Have passed 14-days self-quarantine period.

We have more than 1 thousand confirmed cases here in my hometown until today, but half of them has been cured.(With whole another province's medical human resource support)

So I wanna to talk about some about the virus, mostly based on what I have known.

DON'T PANIC

First Part:The Virus

The virus still can't confirm the original, but followed by research, the virus still don't have much mutate(less than 0.1%), so we human are delling the same virus now.

The new corona virus is easily infected, we have some sample here in China, one guy in supermarket have close range contact(less than 1 meter) with an infected person(confirmed after that) about 15s, then confirmed infect in next 2 days.Patients covered all age range from new born baby to old man.

The infected will show symptom about 1-7 days after first contact, most should less than 14 days.But in this period, the infected can also spread virus not like 2003 SARS.

Second Part:Vector and Spread

Yes, the virus mostly spread by attached on human body liquid(micro size victor) when infected patient cough.Also can spread by direct contact virus(like use hand with virus on it contact your eyes).

But the infect to human basically depends on the amount of virus, like with open air enviriment, the micro liquid spread to air by cough will be not thick enough to include enough virus to infect normal healthy person.

Third Part:Protect and Control

First at first: DON'T PANIC

Follow your local goverment advice and CDC advice, protect yourself, it's not a big deal.(If your gov and CDC are not trying to hide something like Japan goverment, they request only if you have fever longer than 4 days and have trouble with breathing you can get thr virus-infect-or-not test you believe that???)

The virus is NOT THE BIGEST problem, the PANIC IS.

WEAR MASKS!

N95(US)/FFP2(EU)/KF94(KOR) can block most of the nano particle like virus or the micro liquid particle it attached on.If you wanna go high risk area like hospital which have confirmed patients, or crowd facility like railway staton/air port.

If can't get the high level masks above, use surgery masks also can protect you from short range contact, cause these masks can't block virus itself but can block the nano particle which have virus on it.

If possible use chlorinated disinfectant or 75% alcohol clean suspicious object surface before touch.

STAY AWAY FROM CROWD

I understand some of you can't understand why our goverment place strict order to let citizen stay at home, cause we live in diffirent society and we have the crowded street and lots of population in every single city.The isolation means the best protection.

Just stay away from crowd if un-nessesary.You never know who has been infected before they get the RT-PCR test result.

Italy goverment are doing well, reduce human contact will help reduce confirmed cases.

SOMETHING ELSE

After writing, it's 3:25 am now.

Hope everyone OK.

How do people get tested? Do they need to go to a clinic for blood tests, or some one delivers a kit you administer at home? What is the result response time?

Thanks

• @jar said:

MadRabbit said: What I meant was that on what do you base your assumption on?

It has a higher R0 and death rate based on estimates. Seasonal flu has an R0 of 2-3, 2019-nCoV has been estimated to have an R0 of 1.5-3.5, some sources reporting 1.4-4.08. Conservative death rates are around 2-3% (not yet sure why Iran is reporting upwards of 15%, could be an anomaly in how they're reporting). Estimates expect anywhere from 40-70% of the population to contract the virus.

Sure they're small numbers individually, but they support my statement. You're welcome to consider them fake, it's the best data I've been able to get my hands on to date. I haven't seen any conflicting data supporting a different statement besides things like "lol it's nothing bc I said so." Certainly I won't be in trouble for having some extra food and tylenol on hand.

I wasn't implying that it's not so because I said so. I was just stating a fact that the last season flu killed more people than this has, not even close to the flu. What I think you are forgetting right now is that out of the 2800 almost all of them are from the epicenter. And China's health system ain't exactly what it is in the west. But I would love if my backwards country would be able to build a hospital in days lol.

All in all, that's just my personal view of things.

Thanked by 1jar

MadRabbit said: I wasn't implying that it's not so because I said so

Oh I know, apologies if it sounded like I meant you were.

MadRabbit said: I was just stating a fact that the last season flu killed more people than this has, not even close to the flu

And god do I hope it stays there. I imagine in a week we'll know more, just do me a favor and take care of yourself. I want all of you fuckers to be fat and happy for my black friday offer.

Thanked by 1MadRabbit
  • @Neoon said:

开始说是老年人容易感染,死亡率高的的也是老年人,什么时候说只是老年人会感染死亡,年轻人不会,不要断章取义,污蔑我们国家好吗?

• @jar said:

MadRabbit said: I wasn't implying that it's not so because I said so

Oh I know, apologies if it sounded like I meant you were.

MadRabbit said: I was just stating a fact that the last season flu killed more people than this has, not even close to the flu

And god do I hope it stays there. I imagine in a week we'll know more, just do me a favor and take care of yourself. I want all of you fuckers to be fat and happy for my black friday offer.

Will do. Same to you and everyone else on here.

Thanked by 1jar
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@hkvip8 said:

@Neoon said:

开始说是老年人容易感染,死亡率高的的也是老年人,什么时候说只是老年人会感染死亡,年轻人不会,不要断章取义,污蔑我们国家好吗?

Of course we slender countries, all the time, no exceptions.
    Mainly the chinese goverment claimed, that it only hits old or/and vulnerable people, which was pure bullshit as we now know.

I mean think of it, would you go into Wuhan as Doctor if you would know, it could kill you? No you would not.

• sanvitsanvit Member
    edited February 2020

Hi, I'm from South Korea, and I would like to add some stuff on @imfan's post

@imfan said:
    WEAR MASKS!

According to the medias, South Korea produce around 11M to 16M KF94 masks a day, and exports are mostly prohibited, but even doctors are having a hard time getting those masks. If your local store or any online shopping mall has some stock left, I highly recommend you buy one now. Most Koreans are re-using their masks (although they are only rated for one time use) since they can't get one.

The most important thing about mask is that they prevent you from unintentionally touching your mouth/nose. Note that your hand is probably the dirtiest part of your body, and have the highest chance of being contaminated by the virus. If you touch your mouth/nose/eyes or any other 'open' areas, the virus can go inside and infect you. So wear any kind of mask if you can't get those high level ones.

If you don't have hand sanitizers available at your house, it's a good time to get one. I also have 95% ethanol handy with me (put it in a small perfume bottle) and spray it on the surface of anything I need to touch (door handles, elevator buttons, etc.). I highly recommend you do this as well (and also, buy some ethanol if you don't have some already). In Korea, you now have to wait weeks before you can even get one of those. Even if you don't use up during the corona situation, you can still use ethanol to clean surfaces

STAY AWAY FROM CROWD

It's highly not recommended to go near crowds. More people means higher chance of one being infected by the coronavirus. If you really need to go near crowd, WEAR MASKS!

South Korea has one of the higest number of corona infected people and some say it's due to our country having the highest capacity of checks (iorc 5-6K checks a day). I do believe it's mostly true, and that can mean that if other countries did check at our rate, they most likely will have higher numbers of infections then they originally calculated. So be careful. Not officially infected doesn't mean that he/she is safe!

Oh and finally, if you are ones that are infected, please don't panic. I have some friends that are officialy infected, but they mostly have minor or no symptoms, and just gradually get well. That may be the case for you too! So calm down and live healthy. Eat healthy foods (and meat!), exercise, and rest/sleep.

Thanked by 1chihcherng