Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Corona Virus Fears? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Corona Virus Fears?

Comments

• The science is clear that most healthy people have nothing to worry about even if infected with Covid-19. Those above 50, or those with other health issues such as diabetes, or those who smoke (most causes of deaths are due to respiratory organ failure) are most at risk, alongside healthcare workers because they are constantly being exposed to high viral loads in hospitals.

What you should do is to stay hydrated, eat more fruits and vegetables, get exercise a couple of times a week and if you feel unwell, see a doctor and stay at home until you fully recover.

What you should not do is to wear masks everywhere you go because you are almost at no risk of infection 99 percent of the time. If everyone wears masks like a fashion accessory, that just depletes stocks so quickly nobody will have masks soon. Masks are only helpful for those who are ill and need to go out (don't spread infections) and for healthcare workers (their risk is so high that masks will confer significant protection).

Remember, we live in a world of microorganisms and you are infected by something daily but you don't know it because your immune system takes care of it. Covid-19 is not anything abnormal; it looks abnormal because of the attention given to it due to it being initially unknown to humans.

Finally, there is a rule of thumb when it comes to biological viruses: the more infectious it is, the lower the case fatality rate. The reason is simple: viruses need to rapidly infect hosts in order to ensure its continuity and existence. If it kills hosts faster than it can spread, the virus burns itself out. This is why infectious AND deadly viruses like Ebola initially infects a lot of people but also dies out very fast after killing most victims.

Covid-19 indeed resembles influenza more than SARS/MERS/Ebola, but having said that, even though the case fatality is low, say 0.5 percent, nobody can guarantee that you or your family won't be in that 0.5 percent. All we know is someone among those infected will be in the 0.5 percent who will die. I would say just live life normally, do what gives you satisfaction, and if the end has to come for you, well, you don't have a choice anyway.

• dearroydearroy Member, Host Rep

250KMs away from Wuhan, having been stayed at home for over a month, not allowed to go anywhere else.

Shops are closed, so we have to purchase goods and daily goods online.

Thanked by 1FlamesRunner
  • @farsighter said:

@raindog308 said:
    I'm thinking that once this starts to spread in Africa, death counts will climb while remaining low in the first world. But I am not a doctor, just speculating.

I've read this virus thrives in winter. In summer it will become very weak so respite is expected soon in China Thailand, Europe etc.

This assumption is based on SARS in 2003, as the 2019-nCov is related to SARS. But the recent outbreak in Singapore, --- which is always hot and humid, --- suggests the Corona virus can survive in the summer weather.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

dearroy said: 250KMs away from Wuhan, having been stayed at home for over a month, not allowed to go anywhere else.

How badly do you expect that the economy is getting hit in China?

• @dearroy said:
    250KMs away from Wuhan, having been stayed at home for over a month, not allowed to go anywhere else.

Do you think that theres more casualties than what's being reported?

• HostSlickHostSlick Member, Patron Provider

God bless my customers

• Spectr said: Do you think that theres more casualties than what's being reported?

i am 100% sure ...

• I had flights going to Hong Kong next week, and on April 2 and April 16, but those got canceled by the airline company.

Face masks prices went up by 400%.

• CConnerCConner Member, Host Rep

Masks just give a false sense of security. It's a virus that mainly spreads through the air you breath. The holes in face masks are nowhere near small enough to block them out.

• Live in a megacity about 500 km away from Wuhan. Get back to work since yesterday. Not many people on the streets. Saw a pack of wild dogs and a group of rats on my way to work. Quite a rare sight.

Thanked by 2level6 dedicados
  • MadRabbitMadRabbit Member
    edited February 2020

@stefeman said:
    Following the situation in Finland, and planning to buy FFP2/FFP3 facemask from K-Rauta construction shop on friday. Theyre already sold out from pharmacies even though nobody uses them yet.

As for the food, if it starts spreading suddenly, might have to stock stuff into freezer beforehand and buy a little bit of can food.. Doesen't hurt to prepare a little.

I'm fairly confident in our country when it comes to public healthcare luckily.. even in a crisis..

In Estonia K-Rauta said they are all sold out and not expecting any from the Finnish warehouses. at least that's what my local k rauta said to me.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

I can't say that I am too worried, however, I figured that cancelling our attendance over at CloudFest this year is the right thing to do, considering there will be a couple of thousand people from different nationalities. It's a very unfortunate thing, as I had scheduled a lot of meetings with clients and partners and was very eager for it to come, but I'd prefer not to risk my and my team's health.

In regards to masks - I have not bought any, neither see myself wearing one for the time being, although I see a lot of people on the streets with masks. Currently, no cases of corona in Bulgaria anyway.

Overall, I'd say that the media has exaggerated the situation, as usual.

Alex

• I am currently in Korea, but I have what I think is a healthy lifestyle, keep myself cleaned, and don't stay outside for long, so I'm not that concerned. I wore mask all the time, so that isn't much of a difference from usual stuff. Honestly, the only difference it made is that I spam on a forum every time an emergency alert arrives on my phone. But then again, I don't know what it's like in other regions like Daegu, where a bunch of cultists contracted Corona.

• @cociu said:

Spectr said: Do you think that theres more casualties than what's being reported?

i am 100% sure ...

I fear the WHO and governments of the world are serverly under reporting how bad this actually is. Keep everyone calm. What good would social unrest do for the economy if everyone knew how many people were actually dying and how bad it actually is. Panic, riots, economic collapse. I'd say they're lying about it until it can't be lied about it anymore.

I really do hope I'm wrong though

• SpectrSpectr Member
    edited February 2020

@willK said:
    Live in a megacity about 500 km away from Wuhan. Get back to work since yesterday. Not many people on the streets. Saw a pack of wild dogs and a group of rats on my way to work. Quite a rare sight.

How many casualties do you estimate?
    Edit: if you've seen any/what you know

• @Spectr said:
    Do you think that theres more casualties than what's being reported?

Time will tell.

On 8 January 2020, Iran launched ballistic missiles at the military bases of the United States in Iraq. While the U.S. initially assessed that none of its service members were injured or killed in the attack, the U.S. Department of Defense ultimately said that 109 service members had been diagnosed and treated for traumatic brain injuries from the attack.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Martyr_Soleimani

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited February 2020

I have no fear. This is one dangerous virus (because there is no vaccine, yet) but I also think there is a lot of panic created with the purpose of manipulating population and increase sales (from masks and medicine to food supplies). I trust the World Health Organization, and I strongly believe that humanity will prevail. Maybe, after all this is over, humanity will be reminded again not to play with (fire) viruses.

• @CConner said:
    Masks just give a false sense of security. It's a virus that mainly spreads through the air you breath. The holes in face masks are nowhere near small enough to block them out.

Yes, the holes in a face mask is not big enough to block the virus. However, aerosol transmission occurs under very rare situations, e.g. where you are in an enclosed environment (typically with air conditioning) with many infected people breathing/coughing/sneezing into the air causing a high concentration of virus in the air (e.g. in hospitals). You need to be in such an environment for 15-30 minutes to be in danger.

For most people, traveling in public do not pose any risk, especially when you don't go around touching random stuff with your hands and then touching your face.

So while it is a good point that most people DO NOT need to wear masks on a routine basis, the aerosol transmission probability is actually negligible for most of the population.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • poissonpoisson Member
    edited February 2020

@Spectr said:

@cociu said:

Spectr said: Do you think that theres more casualties than what's being reported?

i am 100% sure ...

I fear the WHO and governments of the world are serverly under reporting how bad this actually is. Keep everyone calm. What good would social unrest do for the economy if everyone knew how many people were actually dying and how bad it actually is. Panic, riots, economic collapse. I'd say they're lying about it until it can't be lied about it anymore.

I really do hope I'm wrong though

If they are really under-reporting, we all will be dead soon enough. Why fear? Doesn't change the outcome.

Anyway, I believe that the best antidote to your fear is this:

The only things certain in life are death and taxes.

• MadRabbitMadRabbit Member
    edited February 2020

Just reading that some experimental drug was given to two patients and we should know the outcome soon

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/02/24/investing/gilead-sciences-coronavirus-who-remdesivir/index.html

• I'm in Italy, in the area where I live 270 positive cases were found in 4 days, my country has a highly evolved and organized healthcare system, slightly less the government authorities, the cases in 4 days went from two (two Chinese tourists three weeks ago) to 270 identified in 3 days because a coronavirus positive man was found and in cascade thousands of swabs were made to the people connected to him and then to the following ones found positive, apart from two cases a little distant all 270 cases are connected to the first person identified or have been in the town where the outbreak was found, the medical system was very effective after the first case was discovered, the government is a bit hysterical, prohibits certain gatherings and not others, for example Sunday in a city they have banned a soccer game but not a basketball game with the public indoors, in my territory on Sunday there was a directive that prohibited sports practices in gyms, except then on Monday to rectify and prohibit only sporting events with the public, this for reasons of overlapping of competences between local and central authorities, people are frightened and have unnecessarily emptied supermarkets, there are no problems of food supply and also in that town where the quarantine was imposed on food is available and the authorities allow people to get it, in Italy our luck is that hospitals are widespread and health is guaranteed and free for constitution, medical skills, medicines, materials, laboratories for analysis and hospitals are absolutely not lacking and are free of charge, the government is instead a little disorganized and with many people with no experience in the territorial organization of anything, it is to be hoped that these people do not interfere and leave the decisions to virologists and people who know the subject, at least as far as containment is concerned infections.

• Corona scares me less than orange man, all things considered.

• I have a golden rule for risk management: Don't trust your government.
    Take extra care if you are come from developing country.
    Your risk tolerance is much weaker than in developed countries.

• Here in Indonesia, I choose to live happily by ignoring the corona issue. Until one day the doctor will judge that I am infected with corona.

The critical corona period is 7-14 days, while the Ministry of Health explains that the corona diagnosis results will be ready in 14 days. So, get well or die in 14 days.

Thanked by 1hostdare
  • hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider

bap said: So, get well or die in 14 days.

I believe it is now discovered as 28 days

The media, at least in the US tends to blow things way out of proportion and that's certainly the case with Corona. There is a lot of focus on it because t it is new. If you look at all the people who die from the flu globally each year, or traffic accidents, or heart disease, no one seems to make a big deal about those very high numbers... Because they are not new. So they aren't news.

For those in Italy, do you feel your government has the situation under control?

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • whether you believe the reported numbers or not it's bloody scary https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

• hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider

jbiloh said: Because they are not new. So they aren't news

I believe main problem with corona is " it spreads easily and more death % than flu "

Thanked by 1pluush

hostdare said: I believe main problem with corona is " it spreads easily and more death % than flu "

Agreed.

Just pointing out how many people die each year from the flu (450,000-650,000 globally).

• I bought 1 package of facemasks and I feel like idiot.. untill I saw people carrying them into cashier with 2 hands lol.