Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Corona Virus Fears?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Corona Virus Fears?

jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

So the Corona virus is causing increasing disruption to certain industries and financial markets globally. Today, for example, markets were down significantly in Asia, Europe and now North America.

Just curious is anyone changing their travel plans, spending or business plans because of the Corona virus?

For our community members in the region, how are people doing who are in Asia specifically?

Comments

• not a joke , i make some whater stock and food. Romania is disastre when we talk about hospitals ...

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited February 2020

Not only in Romania, in multiple countries within the EU, the health system is already close or on its limits.

If that thing goes big, what some doctors already claim is a pandemic, then its going to end bad for people who are already in bad condition or are more vulnerable to the virus, due to things like age.

• PUSHR_VictorPUSHR_Victor Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2020

Same fears as @cociu . Bulgaria and it's hospitals are not at all prepared to handle this if it comes here. I have a travel plan for Turkey next week with my family and a bunch of friends and we are all now unsure if we should go or not, even if there are no official reports of Corona there yet.

In addition, some of our largest customers are from China and finance flows have been heavily disrupted this month. Not sure what to expect in March.

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited February 2020

Following the situation in Finland, and planning to buy FFP2/FFP3 facemask from K-Rauta construction shop on friday. Theyre already sold out from pharmacies even though nobody uses them yet.

As for the food, if it starts spreading suddenly, might have to stock stuff into freezer beforehand and buy a little bit of can food.. Doesen't hurt to prepare a little.

I'm fairly confident in our country when it comes to public healthcare luckily.. even in a crisis..

edited February 2020

FFP2 where sold about 3 weeks ago for like 3EUR for 10.
    Now they go over the table for 2-3EUR each.

I got myself some for 6 bucks, decent deal now its just a rip off.

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited February 2020

@Neoon said:

There's still quite bit stock in our local shops.. Mostly cause nobody cares enough yet.

edited February 2020

@stefeman said:

@Neoon said:

There's still quite bit stock in our local shops.. Mostly cause nobody cares enough yet.

Stock is still there mostly, but prices already went up.

• It will probly get a bit worse than it currently is.. Im sure of that, but I don't think it will become similar to "The Last Ship" TV-Show lol.

• Mortality rates from corona are less than 0.5% if you're under 50 years old (given proper treatment). Not too much to worry about as long as health systems don't collapse.

Whether or not they collapse before a vaccine is found is a good question . If vaccine development is a matter of months I guess we'll be OK.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

No biz trips for the time being but personal trips have already been scheduled for the year :|

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

farsighter said: Mortality rates from corona are less than 0.5% if you're under 50 years old (given proper treatment). Not too much to worry about as long as health systems don't collapse.

I agree with you.

I also read that 81% of those who get the virus would describe their symptoms to be similar to a mild cold.

Thanked by 143800
  • vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

It seems like Hetzner already has issues because of corona virus:

I'm not too worried about it, no cases in NL so far.

Thanked by 1shillshocked
  • PulsedMediaPulsedMedia Member, Patron Provider

How do the numbers correspond to regular seasonal influenza anyone know?

edited February 2020

@PulsedMedia said:
    How do the numbers correspond to regular seasonal influenza anyone know?

550,000 to 600,000 people die each year from the flu globally.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

From what I've read, @farsighter is right - you're at risk if you're old or sick, much less so if you're reasonably healthy.

I'm thinking that once this starts to spread in Africa, death counts will climb while remaining low in the first world. But I am not a doctor, just speculating.

Thanked by 1default
  • JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

If I get it I get it, no point in worrying about it. My mother and stepdad just had a holiday in Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam and they are completely fine.

Jord said: If I get it I get it, no point in worrying about it. My mother and stepdad just had a holiday in Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam and they are completely fine.

How long were they there for?

Did they enjoy themselves? I was in Vietnam for about a week earlier in 2019 and really enjoyed it.

• JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

@jbiloh said:

Jord said: If I get it I get it, no point in worrying about it. My mother and stepdad just had a holiday in Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam and they are completely fine.

How long were they there for?

Did they enjoy themselves? I was in Vietnam for about a week earlier in 2019 and really enjoyed it.

2 weeks, yes they did thank you, mother wants to go back to Thailand for 2 weeks next year once everything is better.

• While the mortality % is extremely low, fear of uncertainty is high.

My portfolio looks like cars stuck in traffic Jam. So much red.....

• raindog308 said: death counts will climb while remaining low in the first world

Until the (less than 4 digit amount) ventilator beds or negative pressure rooms run out

• The end is nigh.

seriesn said: My portfolio looks like cars stuck in traffic Jam. So much red.....

I couldn't bring myself to login today and I am conservatively invested.

I wonder how those YOLO folks on Reddit are feeling right now. Many with options in play on already highly speculative stuff.

• @jbiloh said:

seriesn said: My portfolio looks like cars stuck in traffic Jam. So much red.....

I couldn't bring myself to login today and I am conservatively invested.

I wonder how those YOLO folks on Reddit are feeling right now. Many with options in play on already highly speculative stuff.

Ah! A fellow WSB member I see.

I took a sneak peak around 11:30, been depressed since then.

I can imagine it getting worse thanks to "WSB RobinHood" investors, who are cashing out without actually holding on to it.

• entrailzentrailz Member, Host Rep

Having issues sourcing multiple types of hardware due to the virus, feeling the effects without ever catching it!

• Yeah having issues sourcing the hardware I need, so I cracked open a Corona Light to fight the depression.
    Fight Corona with a Corona.

Thanked by 2raindog308 willK
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

hzr said: Until the (less than 4 digit amount) ventilator beds or negative pressure rooms run out

It's not the advanced treatment but rather the relatively high levels of sanitation, supportive therapy, clean water, abundant common meds, easy access to knowledgeable professionals, etc. It's better to be sick in the US, UK, Japan, France, etc. than in, say, Yemen.

It's also better to healthy in the US than in Yemen, but that's a different discussion.

Thanked by 1NobodyInteresting
  • This is a very scary thing, a couple of my family members have been bouncing around, flying from country to country and their definitely frightened being in the airports. Constantly questioning if its worth the risk.

• PhotonVPSPhotonVPS Member, Host Rep

In Taiwan now, cancelled Korea trip due to mandatory quarantine on the way back.

seriesn said: I can imagine it getting worse thanks to "WSB RobinHood" investors, who are cashing out without actually holding on to it.

The buy high sell low crowd never learns.

Then again I don't have the will power to log in and buy either, so I'm only half better. I assume we'll be down again tomorrow considering most financial markets closed at their lows. A clear sign the selling isn't over yet.

• @raindog308 said:
    I'm thinking that once this starts to spread in Africa, death counts will climb while remaining low in the first world. But I am not a doctor, just speculating.

I've read this virus thrives in winter. In summer it will become very weak so respite is expected soon in China Thailand, Europe etc.