Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SSDNodes Singapore Launch - 32GB for $8.25/m - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SSDNodes Singapore Launch - 32GB for $8.25/m

2»

Comments

• WebGuruWebGuru Member
    edited February 2020

@TerensM said:
    How can you not go to deadpool at these prices?

These 3 years and 2 years pre-payments keep such providers alive. These crazy offers help attract more and more customers (read money) while using the trap of 3 years and 2 years pre-payments to fuel the service.

I noticed a sudden increase of these 2-3 years pre-payments offers from different providers recently.

• LeeLee Veteran

Just had a look at their site, marketing went wrong. On that plan it says.

Save $5,463!

Yeah, ok.

• I barely paid 6 months advance to someone and regretted after 2 months already, how do people pay 3 years...

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited February 2020

Diamondz said: how do people pay 3 years...

Part inability to appreciate it's too good to be true and part fear that if they don't sign up for 3 years the price will rocket soon after on a smaller pre-paid period.

Let's be honest, it probably works and is selling well.

• ViridWebViridWeb Member, Host Rep

@TerensM said:

Because that's a Scam. You can't expect real 32GB dedicated RAM at that price..
    So stay away..
    Otherwise we will have another thread here just like Hostdoc

• @WebGuru said:

@TerensM said:

These 3 years and 2 years pre-payments keep such providers alive. These crazy offers help attract more and more customers (read money) while using the trap of 3 years and 2 years pre-payments to fuel the service.

I noticed a sudden increase of these 2-3 years pre-payments offers from different providers recently.

ponzi? no refund :wink:

• @Lee said:

imok said: Not shutdown but they throttled my VM due to cPanel installer taking too much resources in the 32GB plan. No notification until I opened a ticket for (really) low performance.

Yep. Installing cPanel.

WTF, if that is taking up too much resource then what do they consider acceptable?

Idling

Thanked by 2Lee imok
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited February 2020

Scam and they call it a sale.....

• Even ovh can't offer this cheap, to good to be true

• jlayjlay Member
    edited February 2020

Doing some testing for kicks and giggles

• Removed the virtio_balloon kernel module (rmmod)

• Disabled the module from loading: /etc/modules.d/blacklist.conf with 'install virtio_balloon /bin/true' to make it look like it loads

• loaded up a tmpfs filesystem with random data, 98% memory usage

• Disabled swap

Let's see how long this lasts...

One fun observation - they are absolutely compressing memory. I wrote non-random data and usage didn't go up. It's odd to see this in production, usually the CPU overhead isn't worthwhile.

I'll report if I get any unexplained reboots or unfriendly contact, the box is essentially idle other than sitting on some memory usage. If they reboot me, I'll set this up to just fill the memory on boot and see how bad it gets.

Thanked by 3ouvoun vimalware uptime
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@jlay said:

• Disabled the module from loading: /etc/modules.d/blacklist.conf with 'install virtio_balloon /bin/true' to make it look like it loads

• Disabled swap

One fun observation - they are absolutely compressing memory. I wrote non-random data and usage didn't go up. It's odd to see this in production, usually the CPU overhead isn't worthwhile.

Well, as soon they see the memory load of that node reaching a certain level, they will investigate and watch your VM using all its memory and going to likely suspend/restart it ....but good luck on that.

Thanked by 1jlay
  • jlayjlay Member
    edited February 2020

@Neoon said:

@jlay said:

• Disabled swap

Well, as soon they see the memory load of that node reaching a certain level, they will investigate and watch your VM using all its memory and going to likely suspend/restart it ....but good luck on that.

If they do, I'll be glad to talk with them about it. I don't see how this would violate TOS, I'm not abusing shared resources like CPU time - I'm simply using memory that was allocated. They're very particular about services and content, but not anything I would see this falling under

I'm hoping to fall nicely under the mostly idle category, but maybe identify signs that memory is woefully over-allocated.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

jlay said: One fun observation - they are absolutely compressing memory. I wrote non-random data and usage didn't go up.

Where do you observe usage, in their panel? In your VPS usage in "free" or "top" should have gone up anyway, because you are not using compressed memory.

Still, even from the host side, there isn't really any magical "compressed memory" technology which allows to easily oversell: there's KSM, which merges duplicate pages in memory (with not any kind of amazing efficiency), and variations of zswap, which is basically just swap, except compressed before writing to it.

Thanked by 1jlay
  • jlayjlay Member
    edited February 2020

@rm_ said:

jlay said: One fun observation - they are absolutely compressing memory. I wrote non-random data and usage didn't go up.

Where do you observe usage, in their panel? In your VPS usage in "free" or "top" should have gone up anyway, because you are not using compressed memory.

Still, even from the host side, there isn't really any magical "compressed memory" technology which allows to easily oversell: there's KSM, which merges duplicate pages in memory (with not any kind of amazing efficiency), and variations of zswap, which is basically just swap, except compressed before writing to it.

I was using 'free', I just realized I may have looked at the wrong column :neutral:

The usage shows in the shared and buff/cache columns, 'used' is minimal - I guess it's because it's tmpfs, so it looks like caches. I don't want to reset the experiment to check (I'll eat more CPU time), but I suspect I just quickly glanced at the wrong column

Here's what it looks like right now with random data (I adjusted the sizes a bit earlier to free some memory to do stuff)

$ free -h
                  total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
    Mem:          7.8Gi       119Mi       753Mi       6.5Gi       6.9Gi       899Mi
    Swap:            0B          0B          0B
    $ df -h /tmp /dev/shm
    Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    tmpfs           3.9G  3.8G  129M  97% /tmp
    tmpfs           3.9G  2.8G  1.2G  72% /dev/shm

edit:

I just found this verbiage in the portal, guess they're leaning on/expecting this pretty heavily. Doesn't bode well for my experiment :smiley:

To ensure high performance and reliability on our KVM platform, we require ... and all virtio modules. 

These are included by default on all KVM servers, and disabling these services will result in downtime.

• Yesterday, I asked SSDNodes to migrate my 8gb VPS from Frankfurt to Singapore. So far everything looks fine. The cache was not deleted and I am using ~7/8gb RAM. Maybe once they have more customers at the Singapore location, things may change.

Thanked by 2eva2000 vimalware
  • Oh that's a good point - I'm doing my testing in their original location, I believe Dallas

I had two VMs where I couldn't resist the temptation about a year ago, but never found a use for them. Now I do :wink:

• jlayjlay Member

Update on the memory use experiment, VM was inexplicably rebooted a couple days ago. The mods to prevent virtio_balloon from automatically loading worked. Now I just need to set up a boot cron to copy some seed files full of random data over to tmpfs to allocate some of the memory.

Going to sit on a more reasonable ~60% memory usage and see how that fairs; I was using just over 90% before and I could understand some issues during peak times if everyone happened to be doing it

• Great price....I was going to grab this until I noticed the cryptocurrency clause in the T&C's