Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner Online chitchat - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner Online chitchat

Comments

• Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Member, Top Host

I hadn't expected the topic about tutorials to be quite so controversial. Thanks for everyone's feedback. I'll pass it on to our community manager. --Katie

Thanked by 2uptime Lee
  • LeeLee Veteran

Hetzner_OL said: I hadn't expected the topic about tutorials to be quite so controversial.

It's LET, we can and will turn everything into a controversy. If we fail to turn a subject into a controversy, then that failure will cause controversy.

• @joepie91 said:

@PHDan said:
    "Hi, I'm hungry, I'd like a hamburger please."

Nah man, you don't want a hamburger. Here let me teach you how to raise a cow, and in a few years you can have all the meat you want!

Except unlike eating a burger, server maintenance is an ongoing task, and so you do actually need to learn how your own setup works.

Why is it that people who try to use analogies as arguments, always come up with analogies that aren't even remotely similar to the point of discussion? It's tiring.

Probably because you're venturing off yourself... his analogy was right. It's ironic you're saying this.

I see tutorials "How to install blah", not how to maintain blah. It's like you don't know why Google is popular and only meet people who always click on the second page of Google results.

• JoeFJoeF Member
    edited February 2020

The other day I managed to migrate entirely away from hetzner!

Service was ok. Although customer service was poor Dedi server was hard shutdown without warning to have a ssd installed, could be hard to find the correct ticket system for billing, Dedi ddr3 ram upgrades were crazy expensive and US peering wasn't great.

Cloud VPS were ok though although I could never workout what the extra 1-3€ charges were for on them.

@JoeF Thanks for the feedback. We appreciate it :)

Hey guys, I just wanted to give you a quick update about our team. We've got a new social media coordinator here at Hetzner in Gunzenhausen, so you'll be seeing her comment more and more frequently here. I'll still pop by every now and then to say "boo" and to keep up-to-date with any drama that's unfolding in the web hosting world. Please give Helena a warm welcome. :D

Thanked by 2boernd Ympker
  • Hetzner_OL said: so you'll be seeing her comment more and more frequently here

Nice! Does this mean that you (Katie) are stepping down? :open_mouth:

Gradually, over time, yeah, I'll be doing less and less social media in the coming months. I wear a couple of hats here at Hetzner. I also do translations from German to English, and teach English classes. Even after Helena is more familiar with everything at Hetzner and LET, I'll still come by.

Thanked by 3pike Ympker GreenRuby

I know a lot of you all have a dark side. Now you can let your dark side out. Hetzner Cloud just introduced a dark mode for its user interface Cloud Console.

See a preview here. --Katie

• ViridWebViridWeb Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2020

@Hetzner_OL said:
    I know a lot of you all have a dark side. Now you can let your dark side out. Hetzner Cloud just introduced a dark mode for its user interface Cloud Console.

Edited: Looks impressive to me. But still it's only a cosmetic. Can we have a Hetzner DC in USA instead?

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@Hetzner_OL said:

Looks so much better! :)

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL

ViridWeb said: Can we have a Hetzner DC in USA instead?

That certainly would take a lot more effort. Trust me, as someone from the states, I would be really pumped if we open a DC there. ;) --Katie

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • LeviLevi Member

@Hetzner_OL said:

That certainly would take a lot more effort. Trust me, as someone from the states, I would be really pumped if we open a DC there. ;) --Katie

Ou, so you are native USA? Noice. How old are you?

• hzrhzr Member

LTniger said: Ou, so you are native USA? Noice. How old are you?

Is this what you people do when tinder is down?

• Lolz could of bet money that was the next question. Either way, hetzner4life

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • @LTniger said:

@Hetzner_OL said:

Ou, so you are native USA? Noice. How old are you?

Since sex and location are already known, the next logical question was indeed age.

a/s/l?

Thanked by 1netomx

I'm old enough to have to explain cultural references to my colleagues, and I get slightly offended when I hear music I grew up with on the "oldies" radio station.
    Maybe you all should suggest to @jbiloh that he add a dating service. --Katie

• Thanked by 1Levi
  • Waiting for doxing services on let for 7$.

• @Hetzner_OL I have searched everywhere but I can not find a test IP or Looking Glass to ping from. So, please tell me if you have for the Falkenstein Datacentre. And what is the Network speed for each Cloud Instance?

edited April 2020

Right now we currently just have this: https://speed.hetzner.de/.

We also have these to check latency:
    Nuremberg: ping nbg.icmp.hetzner.com
    Falkenstein: ping fsn.icmp.hetzner.com
    Helsinki: ping hel.icmp.hetzner.com

Our team is working on improving our speed test. (But I don't know when that project will be finished.) The speeds for the Hetzner Cloud servers can vary because of different factors. I suggest just creating a server in the location you want and checking for yourself. You can always just quickly delete it if you're not happy. --Katie

Thanked by 2hanzen vimalware

Tripleflix said: you amatures, shes has an interesting last name

Yes, 'tis I. See, there's really not much mysterious about me after all...
    I'm sure there are other readers on LET who are much more compelling subjects.

To change the subject, you all might want to check our social media channels on Sunday. It's not a big announcement or anything, just something small that might be nice for fans. --Katie

There's some great news today for people who like our Hetzner Cloud products. Some people might even call it epic news. I mean EPYC.
    --Katie

• @Hetzner_OL said:
    There's some great news today for people who like our Hetzner Cloud products. Some people might even call it epic news. I mean EPYC.
    --Katie

Shit this is so goooood thank you hetzner

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • neikneik Member

@Hetzner_OL said:
    --Katie

Finally!
    EPYC is gaining more and more momentum. :-)

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • @Hetzner_OL said:
    --Katie

Great, now I have more granular option... very tempting CPU and storage combination.

this is bench.sh I run on new CPX11:

CPU model            : AMD EPYC Processor (with IBPB)
    Number of cores      : 2
    CPU frequency        : 2495.310 MHz
    Total size of Disk   : 38.1 GB (1.1 GB Used)
    Total amount of Mem  : 1941 MB (134 MB Used)
    Total amount of Swap : 0 MB (0 MB Used)
    System uptime        : 0 days, 0 hour 4 min
    Load average         : 0.11, 0.07, 0.02
    OS                   : CentOS 8.1.1911
    Arch                 : x86_64 (64 Bit)
    Kernel               : 4.18.0-147.5.1.el8_1.x86_64
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    I/O speed(1st run)   : 881 MB/s
    I/O speed(2nd run)   : 1.0 GB/s
    I/O speed(3rd run)   : 951 MB/s
    Average I/O speed    : 952.0 MB/s
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Node Name                       IPv4 address            Download Speed
    CacheFly                        205.234.175.175         79.2MB/s
    Linode, Tokyo2, JP              139.162.65.37           8.99MB/s
    Linode, Singapore, SG           139.162.23.4            14.1MB/s
    Linode, London, UK              176.58.107.39           132MB/s
    Linode, Frankfurt, DE           139.162.130.8           233MB/s
    Linode, Fremont, CA             50.116.14.9             14.8MB/s
    Softlayer, Dallas, TX           173.192.68.18           11.1MB/s
    Softlayer, Seattle, WA          67.228.112.250          10.7MB/s
    Softlayer, Frankfurt, DE        159.122.69.4            90.9MB/s
    Softlayer, Singapore, SG        119.81.28.170           10.0MB/s
    Softlayer, HongKong, CN         119.81.130.170          7.57MB/s

I/O speed much better than regular CX11 (skylake)

Thanked by 2LITUATUI Hetzner_OL
  • @Hetzner_OL it's very curious that today as the new AMD EPYC 2nd gen cloud plans become available, my "old" CX21 VPS becomes super slow.

I get timeout errors on Wordpress when trying to write articles and even comments don't work right. This never happen before. Is this a way to try to convince us to upgrade?

• angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited April 2020

@LITUATUI said:
    @Hetzner_OL it's very curious that today as the new AMD EPYC 2nd gen cloud plans become available, my "old" CX21 VPS becomes super slow.

I get timeout errors on Wordpress when trying to write articles and even comments don't work right. This never happen before. Is this a way to try to convince us to upgrade?

Congrats on your first post

But I'm sure that they would have waited at least a week before slowing down your VPS!

• I should have complained earlier. It's now working great again :)

Super happy with Hetzner so far and probably will upgrade to the AMD EPYC 2nd gen cloud plans later on. My previous VPS was on @time4vps and it was super slow all the time (30 MB/s writing speeds...).

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • Hi @mca5701

Can you run the nench.sh benchmark script? To compare CPUs the bzip2-compressing time of a 500 MB file is a good test.

Thanks!