Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LEB/LET Improvements & Feedback - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LEB/LET Improvements & Feedback

Comments

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@Jord said:

@FAT32 said:

@Jord said:
    About 5 days ago.

Sometimes it happens to me too, but not sure about why.

Could it be Cloudflare caching it?

I think that is possible. I will tinker with the CF settings.

We are going to update the vanilla version on LET here in the next few days as well, so once that is done we can tackle any remaining bugs. Plus the new ones that come from that upgrade.

• JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

@jbiloh said:

@Jord said:

@FAT32 said:

@Jord said:
    About 5 days ago.

Sometimes it happens to me too, but not sure about why.

Could it be Cloudflare caching it?

I think that is possible. I will tinker with the CF settings.

We are going to update the vanilla version on LET here in the next few days as well, so once that is done we can tackle any remaining bugs. Plus the new ones that come from that upgrade.

Yeah it's doing that for me all the time now, it's rather annoying.

Couple updates from the last few days of work guys:

Completed:

1. Low End Box email subscriber form on the main page is fixed. It will now send you a confirmation email upon joining and then send you notices each time a new offer is submitted.

2. A second Low End Box tutorial writer from our community has been hired to provide paid content.

3. A social integration has been completed for Low End Box so that posts are automatically pushed to Facebook

4. A voting system to allow users to rate offers has been added to Low End Box

5. Prep and testing is underway to update Low End Talk's vanilla installation, which is scheduled for next weekend.

6. Work continues to troubleshoot why nested comments are not working on Low End Box... working theory is it's CloudFlare related

7. Low End Box and Low End Talk email are now sending via Amazon SES

8. The Low End Talk helpdesk has been cleared down of all old tickets and all new tickets have been replied to, or nearly all. Thanks to our mod team for their great work there.

9. The Low End Talk helpdesk now properly sends email confirmations upon ticket submissions to the end user

10. The Low End Box helpdesk has been cleared down and all old tickets replied to and closed. We've received a lot of new offers recently so we're going to be working to get those written up the next few weeks

11. More work has been done to clean up the back ends and remove old static ads from HVH, ChicagoVPS and ColoCrossing

12. We've been making changes to Low End Box offers that do not conform to our rules or have other issues (thank you community for pointing these things out).

13. We are investigating a bug with the mobile LET theme

14. We are monitoring the loads on the new hosting platform and making changes as needed to make sure the websites stay super fast and stable.

In addition to all of that we are still working to make a bunch of other changes as previously described. More is on the way.

That's all for now. Just wanted to keep everyone informed.

Thanks guys

Thanked by 1joepie91
  • @jbiloh Looks like you're really trying to make a change here, so take another issue. On the register page, if you input a "/" in the username field, this happens:

I'm not sure what this is, but it doesn't look too healthy to me.

Thanks for pointing that out. I'll look into what's going on there.

Look what's back:

In the next few days I'll be removing that ugly waste of space email signup box, too.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

There are still ads on the mobile site.

@thedp said:
    There are still ads on the mobile site.

The two on the footer are staying.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@jbiloh

While I understand perfectly well that some still are not happy and that indeed lots and lots of crap still need to be cleaned up ...

it has become clear that you don't just talk anymore but in fact act.

This is very valuable and important because it's the only way to regain our trust and give us a basis to consider you to be an asset to our community rather than a talking-only liability.

A lot of us have bashed you (and you deserved most of it based on our past experience) but it really seems that you are genuinely interested in making LET into a great place again. I want to thank you for taking all the criticism calmly and for actually working to clean the place and to earn our trust.

Thank you! And please continue that route.

jsg said: While I understand perfectly well that some still are not happy and that indeed lots and lots of crap still need to be cleaned up ...

it has become clear that you don't just talk anymore but in fact act.

This is very valuable and important because it's the only way to regain our trust and give us a basis to consider you to be an asset to our community rather than a talking-only liability.

A lot of us have bashed you (and you deserved most of it based on our past experience) but it really seems that you are genuinely interested in making LET into a great place again. I want to thank you for taking all the criticism calmly and for actually working to clean the place and to earn our trust.

Thank you! And please continue that route.

Thank you very much for the feedback and compliments.

Every day I try to make at least one thing better around here. Recently, because there is just so much to fix and improve it has been more than just one thing ;).

Thanks for being a part of our community!

edited February 2020

@jbiloh

It seems that @teamacc is very unhappy with some things. And I take that very seriously because teamacc has proven long and often enough that he values our community and that he is (was?) willing to put considerable efforts into LET.

I might be wrong but it seems to me that you are indeed changing LET constructively but that you at the same time fall back into the old "talk, talk but do nothing about it" pattern in certain areas, especially when real and credible action is required against scammers, even serial scammers.

Do us - and yourself! - a big favour and start to actually kick out those scammers!

Maybe it will change some day, but as of now you are but a mouse next to a giant, teamacc, in terms of credibility. If someone like teamacc loses trust in you, many will follow him.

edited February 2020

@jbiloh

It seems that @teamacc is very unhappy with some things. And I take that very seriously because teamacc has proven long and often enough that he values our community and that he is (was?) willing to put considerable efforts into LET.

I might be wrong but it seems to me that you are indeed changing LET constructively but that you at the same time fall back into the old "talk, talk but do nothing about it" pattern in certain areas, especially when real and credible action is required against scammers, even serial scammers.

Do us - and yourself! - a big favour and start to actually kick out those scammers!

Maybe it will change some day, but as of now you are but a mouse next to a giant, teamacc, in terms of credibility. If someone like teamacc loses trust in you, many will follow him.

Can't please everyone but we're working hard to make our community better every day.

@teamacc has been helpful in pointing our some things that need to be addressed but he doesn't get everything right, either.

I appreciate the contributions of all of our community members.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

Footer's still there.

joepie91 said: Footer's still there.

I got the FTP logins setup with the firewalls yesterday and gave it to the developer today who is making CSS changes, etc.

Should be gone soon. :)

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

The question I have in my mind is, why now? and what brought up the idea to "save" LET/LEB from the dead?

Thanked by 2boernd bugrakoc
  • Neoon said: The question I have in my mind is, why now? and what brought up the idea to "save" LET/LEB from the dead?

Lots of money to burn. If he does this a few months ago he could've been a lot more successful.

edited February 2020

@SCAM_DONT_BUY said:

Neoon said: The question I have in my mind is, why now? and what brought up the idea to "save" LET/LEB from the dead?

Lots of money to burn. If he does this a few months ago he could've been a lot more successful.

Well, to me, it sounds like greenwashing and doing maintenance, that is overdue since a decade.

Brings up old memories, of a company wordpress, that got hacked on a weekly basis, all they did was just restore the backup and here we go again.

Neoon said: The question I have in my mind is, why now? and what brought up the idea to "save" LET/LEB from the dead?

As of a few weeks ago I own Low End Box and Low End Talk (Deluxe/ColoCrossing no longer owns it). So now that I own it and have control I am fixing things up nicely for the community.

edited February 2020

@jbiloh said:

As of a few weeks ago I own Low End Box and Low End Talk (Deluxe/ColoCrossing no longer owns it). So now that I own it and have control I am fixing things up nicely for the community.

Well, you still work for colocrossing right?

Neoon said: Well, you still work for colocrossing right?

I do have an advisory role. I am not an employee.

• Well, I suppose it is a GREAT improvement to remove one of the community's most beloved member of the moderator team without any written communication whatsoever.

Leopards really don't change their spots. Heil @jbiloh! Which moderator is next to the virtual LET gas chamber?

@poisson said:
    Well, I suppose it is a GREAT improvement to remove one of the community's most beloved member of the moderator team without any written communication whatsoever.

Leopards really don't change their spots. Heil @jbiloh! Which moderator is next to the virtual LET gas chamber?

What are you talking about?

• jbiloh said: What are you talking about?

@trewq lost his admin role without any communication from you?

@jvnadr said:

jbiloh said: What are you talking about?

@trewq lost his admin role without any communication from you?

I was removing all the stale accounts and that happened at same time.

@jbiloh said:

The account of our administrator who cooperated with you when you needed his help is not f_cking "stale"!

There is only one explanation and I'm too polite to write it.

Thanked by 1KermEd

@jsg said:

@jbiloh said:

The account of our administrator who cooperated with you when you needed his help is not f_cking "stale"!

There is only one explanation and I'm too polite to write it.

Clearly it was an accident. No conspiracy here.

• I am sure @trewq and the current volunteer admin/mod team knows better who should be cleaned out and who should not be. An accident? The odds are very low that it was an accident, given how many accidents there have been from CC/Deluxe.

Thanked by 1bugrakoc
  • @jbiloh

If it was an accident, then it says something about whether or not you kept up with the community... It would've been pretty damn easy to check the user's activity (i.e. what @trewq was doing for the community in the past week maybe).

I'm trying to give you the benefit of the doubt, but come on, doing your due diligence isn't that hard, is it?

@FlamesRunner said:
    @jbiloh

If it was an accident, then it says something about whether or not you kept up with the community... It would've been pretty damn easy to check the user's activity (i.e. what @trewq was doing for the community in the past week maybe).

I'm trying to give you the benefit of the doubt, but come on, doing your due diligence isn't that hard, is it?

It's simple. I like Brendan and hope he sticks around. I'd like him to continue his administrator role. Removing the administrator flag from his account, during a work effort where I cleaned house on a ton of administrators, moderators, editors and contributors, was an accident (was doing this on leb and let at the same time). When I realized what happened (after someone, other than Brendan, pinged me on let, I was surprised and didn't realize what was going on... Aka see my first post response about being confused). I quickly fixed my error and then reached out to Brendan to explain. Brendan did not reach out to me prior to making his resignation post despite us having an open direct message thread on discord.

Seems to all be a big misunderstanding. I don't want anyone's feelings to be hurt and surely I'm entitled to make a simple error. If Brendan does not want to continue his administrator role (despite being apparently all for it when I last talked to him (at length) about a week ago, I respect his choice but it seems like a knee jerk reaction given that all of this was over a minor human error. I regret the mistake and any embrasement or hurt feelings.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Suggestion: include a list of admins/moderators at the top of the community rules.