Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How much time to transfer a small file using FTP?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How much time to transfer a small file using FTP?

How much time do you take to upload a file of less than 10 KB using FTP software to the webhost? Earlier I was completing the upload in a few seconds, however for the last few months, the upload time has increased to 30 seconds or more for uploading a small HTML file in panaji, goa, india. This is causing the wastage of a lot of time. Is there any way that the file upload time can be reduced?
Other than Filezilla is there any other FTP software which is recommended?

Comments

• Did you try another internet provider? Seems to be an issue with your internet's upload speed or the server network.

Thanked by 1niche
  • JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

You could always try cyberduck. But it also matters how far you are away from the server hosting the FTP server.

• @TheKiller said:
    Did you try another internet provider? Seems to be an issue with your internet's upload speed or the server network.

I am using three different ISPs in goa, the speed is almost the same for all of them

• JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

@niche where is the server located you are trying to upload too?

• @niche Do you remember if the download jumped from a few seconds to 30+, or got slower over time.

It sounds more like the webhost is now doing some form of dysfunctional reverse DNS lookup on your connection or making an identd callback (which used to be a thing), and waiting for that to expire. So the transfer itself may be quick but the connection blocks waiting for something it never receives.

• illyhostingillyhosting Member, Host Rep

@niche said:
    How much time do you take to upload a file of less than 10 KB using FTP software to the webhost? Earlier I was completing the upload in a few seconds, however for the last few months, the upload time has increased to 30 seconds or more for uploading a small HTML file in panaji, goa, india. This is causing the wastage of a lot of time. Is there any way that the file upload time can be reduced?
    Other than Filezilla is there any other FTP software which is recommended?

Change the provider! FTP protocol is same for all, one thing they could do is enable Passive FTP to keep connection alive so you don't have to reconnect always, but definetely the odds are: their speed is slow and may have time-outs due to bad network configuration.

• I am using webhosting in Europe, USA , I am facing problems for all webhosting

• @niche said:
    I am using webhosting in Europe, USA , I am facing problems for all webhosting

You need a log, something is probably timing out in the connection rather than just really slow transfers. If it's the same for several different providers, it's likely your PC. Also, is this a PASV vs active thing? Are you using NAT with port forwarding or you have a public IPV4?

• You will need to contact your hosting service provider support team for slow upload issues and they will be able to investigate the things as it can a routing issue

• @GoMummyHosting said:
    You will need to contact your hosting service provider support team for slow upload issues and they will be able to investigate the things as it can a routing issue

Congratulations on your first post! Only 14 more to go! Good luck!

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • @dahartigan said:

@GoMummyHosting said:
    You will need to contact your hosting service provider support team for slow upload issues and they will be able to investigate the things as it can a routing issue

Congratulations on your first post! Only 14 more to go! Good luck!

It's ok. He's got like 1500 years before anyone will be interested in his service.

Why is it some people think, "I want to convey fast, so we'll be called "Speedy Service, Inc" and others think, "Mummy's: dead, dumb and slow, exactly what I want to convey as my business!".

So my mind goes to scam operation where they just wanted an available name not already taken with no long term branding care in the world.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • @TimboJones said: [...]

Well, that and GoDaddyHosting might have been a bit too on the nose, hur dur ... im14andthisisdeep

Thanked by 1Janevski
  • Properly depends on the IO of the server.

• @uptime said:

@TimboJones said: [...]

Well, that and GoDaddyHosting might have been a bit too on the nose, hur dur ... im14andthisisdeep

@uptime said:

@TimboJones said: [...]

GoSisterHosting sounds way more tempting :)

On the question... back during the dial-up times (20 years ago) I was happy with 5-10s for 10kb file...
    Does it happen when you upload via http(s)? The ISP may be rate-limiting certain ports.

Thanked by 1uptime