Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Assume all your VPN's and Password managers are cracked/vunerable and tracking you down is easy
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Assume all your VPN's and Password managers are cracked/vunerable and tracking you down is easy

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2020/02/11/crypto_ag_backdoored_german_swiss_news_allegs/

"Swiss encryption machine company Crypto AG was secretly owned by the CIA and a West Germany spy agency" - I have been repeatedly told to get and trust a Swiss VPN as they have stong privacy laws etc but it seems this is not so. Trust no-one.

Good luck with your free (and paid) VPN's, password managers, cloud storage, etc

Thanked by 1jar

Comments

• This has nothing to do with AES, which is used by many vpn providers or password managers. Sure, it COULD be compromised, but that would be another topic.

• All I fear is my own government. Five eyes? Thank you for secure my password. I hope they will censer my mail and chats too.

• @drivex said:
    This has nothing to do with AES, which is used by many vpn providers or password managers. Sure, it COULD be compromised, but that would be another topic.

If CIA/NSA can own a crypto company and around 120 countries with their secret services did not discover it, how do we know that the VPN's we use (especially the free ones eg windscribe etc/or cheap ones) are also not owned by CIA/NSA and so all our data is being viewed and our IP logged against it???

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited February 2020

This is why it cracks me up when people say they absolutely need to be secure, so they're connecting to the internet through free/cheap VPN service. I'm convinced that LEOs at some level have a very significant hand in a very significant portion of the VPN market these days.

They're not useless products by any means, and they may increase security in the sense that you're trying to hide traffic from someone local and don't care if it's viewed by someone remote. Can also be helpful to get around local blocks. But that's about it.

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • @asterisk14 said:

@drivex said:
    This has nothing to do with AES, which is used by many vpn providers or password managers. Sure, it COULD be compromised, but that would be another topic.

If CIA/NSA can own a crypto company and around 120 countries with their secret services did not discover it, how do we know that the VPN's we use (especially the free ones eg windscribe etc/or cheap ones) are also not owned by CIA/NSA and so all our data is being viewed and our IP logged against it???

Have you read the Windscribe newsletters? Too funny to be written by LEO'S.