Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If gmail has shutdown its service, what alternative will you use? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

If gmail has shutdown its service, what alternative will you use?

Comments

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

Google has my email and my phone number.
    If Gmail and Google Voice both deadpool, nobody can ever find me again.

By that time, I'll consider putting up a chat box on https://yoursunny.com/m/ page.

• @yoursunny said:
    Google has my email and my phone number.
    If Gmail and Google Voice both deadpool, nobody can ever find me again.

By that time, I'll consider putting up a chat box on https://yoursunny.com/m/ page.

Avid geocacher should deliver his mail by bare foot every morning from central post office. No e-mail for you.

• Outlook and mail.com :))

• Google is more likely to add another umbrella corporation. SENTENCE LLC?

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • will never happen.

• I would keep using my msn email address and this account whether Gmail closes or not. My msn/Hotmail account contains 9 other aliases.

Also for domains using yandex and its great, very reliable service.

Thanked by 1jpeng
  • Letter.

• LeeLee Veteran

MikeA said: Probably Microsoft. I already pay for OneDrive/O365 Personal.

What is it like for spam filtering these days? I tried it once and holy fuck, I spent every visit having to delete all the spam it missed, it was a lot.

Thanked by 1jpeng
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@Lee said:

What is it like for spam filtering these days? I tried it once and holy fuck, I spent every visit having to delete all the spam it missed, it was a lot.

I haven't used actual Hotmail in years, but I would just switch to it since it's probably more reliable than the smaller ones. If my data is in the hands of a big corporation, it may as well be in my own country rather than another country.

Thanked by 2Lee jpeng
  • deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited February 2020

I don't use gmail, so wouldn't matter.

Thanked by 2default TheKiller
  • NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

Lee said: What is it like for spam filtering these days? I tried it once and holy fuck, I spent every visit having to delete all the spam it missed, it was a lot.

Not as good as Gmail, but usable.

The worse thing in my opinion is actually the opposite: false positives. A very noticeable amount of senders have issues delivering email to Microsoft, so you're going to miss some email and not all of it will be available in the spam folder. Some will even be directly rejected by the servers so you will never notice.

jpeng said: what other service will you choose instead?

Fastmail.

• Write a letter and mail it.

• protonmail and tutanota :love:

• Build by yourself

• Pigeons I will go back to sending Pigeons.

Thanked by 2default uptime
  • I have stopped using Google services, because they tend to create and destroy projects, beside they already know/have too much of my data.
    For email I'm using Microsoft, glad I grab that @msn.com email long time ago.

Thanked by 1jpeng
  • @Lee said:

This is why gmail is the best. I've had a catchall domain for nearly 20 years and spam box has 1-2 a day. Using imap and thunderbird for a throwaway domain not using gmail, it's 10x the spam and the domain isn't used or advertised anywhere.

• DrukpaDrukpa Member
    edited February 2020

Hotmail su*cks big time. Spam mails get in my inbox, legit mails are in the spam folder. And as a web developer, sending mails to hotmail is a nightmare. Most mails get rejected, they don't even go to the user's spambox. Haven't come across a better spam filtering than Gmail.

I use Zoho for some of my domains, they work alright.

Thanked by 1jpeng
  • yandex

Thanked by 1TheKiller
  • Probably ProtonMail

• That's a bad question. I haven't thought about it. Maybe Protonmail.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Gmail is the complete package: good webmail interface, very fast servers (e.g., for searching), tons of features, and excellent anti-spam. I think I have something like 200 filters and I'm sure by some measure that's not many, yet mail is delivered nearly instantly. Can't remember the last time Gmail was down.

I've been living on a grandfathered domain for many years...TBH if they shut down the free service, I would pay the $5/mo. Though since I also use them as a personal mailinator (catchall domain), that part would break I guess.

I don't really worry about them shutting down the service entirely because they make good coin on their apps.

• @raindog308 said:
    Gmail is the complete package: good webmail interface, very fast servers (e.g., for searching), tons of features, and excellent anti-spam. I think I have something like 200 filters and I'm sure by some measure that's not many, yet mail is delivered nearly instantly. Can't remember the last time Gmail was down.

I've been living on a grandfathered domain for many years...TBH if they shut down the free service, I would pay the $5/mo. Though since I also use them as a personal mailinator (catchall domain), that part would break I guess.

I don't really worry about them shutting down the service entirely because they make good coin on their apps.

I am also grandfathered and if they shut it down, I'd easily pay $5/mo, and maybe up to $10. The real worry is that they'll realize that most of us would start paying and they get to kill off legacy limitations and support hassles without losing many users. The true convert free to paying business model.

Thanked by 1jpeng
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@AuroraZ said:
    Pigeons I will go back to sending Pigeons.

You cannot trace it, not track it, they do not have IP addresses, just do not eat them.
    Premium PigeoNet.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • Possibly I'd pay for protonmail pro plan, or yandex.

Thanked by 1jpeng
  • i pay the ~$5/m for my personal email account with gmail across a few domains. Their disk space is not so much an important thing. Their search is good/fast, their spam filtering is really their USP - they get it more or less spot on. A competitor with critical mass of incoming email could potentially compete.

You ask what alternative I'd use - nothing in particular. Maybe outlook/yahoo/my own. Nothing really stands out. When someone does match gmails spam filtering, they'll have to market it hard to get attention.

Thanked by 1jpeng
  • This is why people use their own custom domain name.

• Microsoft or protonmail