Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner's 10G dedicated uplink bandwidth pricing makes no sense.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner's 10G dedicated uplink bandwidth pricing makes no sense.

Hi all,

I'm currently looking at the Hetzner PX-line of dedicated server's.

The PX62 server comes with the following specs

Intel® Xeon® E-2176G Hexa-Core
64 GB DDR4 ECC RAM
2x 8TB Enterprise HDD or 2x 960GB Enterprise SSD.
1GBPS guaranteed bandwidth (330TB) per month
Price is €94.80 with €94.80 setup in Germany (FSN) (incl 20% VAT).

However if I add a 10GBPS dedicated uplink (incl. 10G NIC) to the server the total becomes €133.80 (incl 20% VAT) with the inclusive bandwidth reduced from 330TB used over a 1GBPS to 20TB over a 10GBPS port with a €1.20 charge (incl 20% VAT) for every extra TB used.

This means that the total price for 330TB over 1GBPS guaranteed bandwidth is €94.80 after setup (incl 20% VAT)
However if the 10GBPS dedicated uplink (incl. 10G NIC for €39 extra per month) is installed the remaining 310TB will be charged at €**372 **euro. meaning the total cost for the same server with the same amount of traffic will be €404.80 instead of €94.80.

@Hetzner_OL can you please justify why you charge 4 times the price for 330TB bandwidth over a 10GBPS port when the same 330TB bandwidth is guaranteed and included with your 1GBPS port for no additional charge.

I understand why you would charge additional cost for bandwidth over the 330TB included with a 1GPS port however making the customer pay an extra €372 for the same amount of bandwidth just makes no sense.

Comments

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Because you can generate costly 10G spikes.

• @Clouvider said:

This.

Easy enough :smiley:

• Employee who can do ten things in the same time usually expensive than hiring multi employees. Because he can finish the task faster and handle more complicated jobs.

• First of all, for Hetzner only outgoing external bandwith counts.
    If you really need 330TB of traffic on a 10G port you can also use cloud instances as proxy, each comes with 20TB for 2,50€/m. I guess that's what people did with 1G ports once the new cloud got relesed, until Hetzner made them unlimited.

• AlfieAlfie Member
    edited February 2020

@Clouvider said:

@marvel said:

@Clouvider said:

This.

Easy enough :smiley:

Yeah I get that but still if you can use 330TB inclusive of the server down a 1G port then surely you should be able to use 330TB down a 10G port before bandwidth charges are enforced as you are using the same amount of bandwidth ?

• 1gservers1gservers Member, Patron Provider

The issue is if you max out a 10gbps port for an hour, sure you're not using "that much" bandwidth measured in TB's, but you're causing a real headache, and possible skewing their transit costs upside down for the provider, and it's priced accordingly.

• I understand why you would charge additional cost for bandwidth over the 330TB included with a 1GPS port however making the customer pay an extra €372 for the same amount of bandwidth just makes no sense.

You have high budget server with 1GPS /10GPS port speed. They have to provide you unlimited bandwidth usage. There should be no cost for the exrea bandwidth.

• Comes down to how overselling works in my eyes. Providers offer fat packages with lots of bandwidth like Hetzner, but the chances of even 20% of customers ordering it actually using 330TB per month is slim. Now if you have 10Gbps, the only reason you're going 10Gbps is because you plan on using that bandwidth and as such they are charging you to save themselves money.

• Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Member, Top Host

In simplified terms, what @cloudvider and @1gservers wrote here is generally right. However, when we set the prices for our traffic on our products, we consider several factors all together. And we would prefer to keep the exact details of our pricing decisions to ourselves. --Katie

• A lot of hosts (and resellers) oversell bandwidth, and traffic in the case of metered providers. If they are selling you 1Gbit unmetered, they expect you (or atleast hope) that you won't use more than 1-2TB per month. And honestly there are a lot of users that don't use more than 1-2TB traffic per month. Hetzner does a good job of clamping abusers, so there aren't any streamers etc. going crazy on their network.

The 10Gbit pricing is actually quite reasonable and is probably meant to be more affordable than be taken in the context of what 10Gbit unmetered would cost at the price level. There are providers for that, that offer 10Gbit unmetered (with and without Fair Use) at reasonable rates.

• @sunnyg said:
    so there aren't any streamers etc. going crazy on their network.

You do realize they provide unmtered 1G even with the cheapest auction dedi, and 20TB of traffic with any VPS? Thats far more than what most other providers offer and makes them a haven for bandwith hungry applications.

• JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

Looks right to me, you are getting 10G instead of 1G. So they are well in their right to charge different prices :)

Thanked by 2Clouvider ViridWeb
  • Honestly when you consider your going from 1g to 10g you would be hard up to find a host that well offer you 10g at that price, personally if you don't like the price go find another host in Germany to offer you 10g anywhere near there price with there network, I'm sire you will pick hetzner then, but in short terms 1g is not dedicated link to server AFAIK and 10g is hence the price on bandwidth

• MridulMridul Member
    edited February 2020

@Alfie said:
    Hi all,

I'm currently looking at the Hetzner PX-line of dedicated server's.

The PX62 server comes with the following specs

Intel® Xeon® E-2176G Hexa-Core
    64 GB DDR4 ECC RAM
    2x 8TB Enterprise HDD or 2x 960GB Enterprise SSD.
    1GBPS guaranteed bandwidth (330TB) per month
    Price is €94.80 with €94.80 setup in Germany (FSN) (incl 20% VAT).

However if I add a 10GBPS dedicated uplink (incl. 10G NIC) to the server the total becomes €133.80 (incl 20% VAT) with the inclusive bandwidth reduced from 330TB used over a 1GBPS to 20TB over a 10GBPS port with a €1.20 charge (incl 20% VAT) for every extra TB used.

This means that the total price for 330TB over 1GBPS guaranteed bandwidth is €94.80 after setup (incl 20% VAT)
    However if the 10GBPS dedicated uplink (incl. 10G NIC for €39 extra per month) is installed the remaining 310TB will be charged at €**372 **euro. meaning the total cost for the same server with the same amount of traffic will be €404.80 instead of €94.80.

@Hetzner_OL can you please justify why you charge 4 times the price for 330TB bandwidth over a 10GBPS port when the same 330TB bandwidth is guaranteed and included with your 1GBPS port for no additional charge.

I understand why you would charge additional cost for bandwidth over the 330TB included with a 1GPS port however making the customer pay an extra €372 for the same amount of bandwidth just makes no sense.

On a 10G uplink you can quickly .. very quickly cross huge data transfers. Hetzner is still a lot cheap compared to other hosts asking way above $2XXX - 3XXX for 10G !

The cheapest 10G dedicated would be the FDC's $999.99 Special in US. Im not sure if OVH offers something cheaper.

• @Bopie said:
    Honestly when you consider your going from 1g to 10g you would be hard up to find a host that well offer you 10g at that price, personally if you don't like the price go find another host in Germany to offer you 10g anywhere near there price with there network, I'm sire you will pick hetzner then, but in short terms 1g is not dedicated link to server AFAIK and 10g is hence the price on bandwidth

@Mridul said:

On a 10G uplink you can quickly .. very quickly cross huge data transfers. Hetzner is still a lot cheap compared to other hosts asking way above $2XXX - 3XXX for 10G !

The cheapest 10G dedicated would be the FDC's $999.99 Special in US. Im not sure if OVH offers something cheaper.

There is a reseller named Andy10gbit. He offers pretty good deals on bare-metal servers at Leaseweb and NForce in Netherlands, with SSD and NVMe drives.

I purchased 2 of the following during his Black Friday Sale
    CPU: E-2174G
    RAM: 16GB
    Disks: 4x8TB
    Bandwidth: 10GE Full Duplex 100TB Traffic (bi-directional)
    Price: €105 per month

I won't post direct links to his listings but if you google his name, you should able to find his adverts on reddit. He runs a discord server as well. (Reddit profile: /u/Andy10gbit)

My server performs really well. Got it with brand new 8TB hard drives, link is full 10GE to majority of the speed test sites in Europe, and he has offered me KVM and rescue mode access on request. Legitimate Leaseweb server without having to deal with Leaseweb's own useless support.

He resells dedicated servers from Hetzner and OVH as well if you fancy. I've bought high bandwidth servers from him on-and-off over the last 3 years. Good and polite reseller overall.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Mridul said: The cheapest 10G dedicated would be the FDC's $999.99 Special in US

It can be had cheaper, depending on the blend your looking for.

• MrRadicMrRadic Patron Provider, Veteran

@Mridul said:

FDC is by far not the cheapest 10G unmetered.

• @Clouvider said:

Mridul said: The cheapest 10G dedicated would be the FDC's $999.99 Special in US

How? Isn't FDC already cogent only?

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

@boernd said:

@Clouvider said:

How? Isn't FDC already cogent only?

Pure HE or peering only might be cheaper. But yes FDC is heavy on cogent.

• @Clouvider said:

co-co-cooooogent

man I love horrible peering and packet loss and weekly spam calls from those lowlifes

• jhjh Member
    edited February 2020

Besides what others have said, 1gbps routing and switching gear is cheap as chips, 10gbps not so much.

But I can imagine a bigger problem is unintentional spikes and the resulting argument about who should pay for them. Customer gets hacked and their server is used for a DOS attack. Host sends them a bill for the overage. Customer obviously doesn't want to pay and the host ends up footing the majority of the bill.

OT: does Cogent still deserve the reputation it has from a decade ago as a cheap/low quality carrier? AFAIK they have one of the largest networks out there.

• anbelevebelanbelevebel Member
    edited September 2023

Hetzner’s 10Gbps uplink is now €42.9/mo (instead of €99/mo) and includes unlimited traffic (instead of 20TB).

• edited September 2023

@anbelevebel said:
    Hetzner’s 10Gbps uplink is now €50/mo (instead of €100/mo) and includes unlimited traffic (instead of 20TB).

Necro aside, you got a link or pic? They haven't seemed to updated this page: https://docs.hetzner.com/robot/dedicated-server/network/10g-uplink/

I did notice that since June, they removed the footnote on this page regarding the 20TB limit: https://docs.hetzner.com/robot/dedicated-server/general-information/root-server-hardware/
    https://web.archive.org/web/20230608144237/https://docs.hetzner.com/robot/dedicated-server/general-information/root-server-hardware/

And if you check last year the price of the 10G dedicated uplink was $39 EUR with 20TB included, not sure where the 99EUR is from.

• @anbelevebel said:
    Hetzner’s 10Gbps uplink is now €42.9/mo (instead of €99/mo) and includes unlimited traffic (instead of 20TB).

Thank you for enlightening us after all these years

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • @CyberneticTitan said:

Necro aside, you got a link or pic? They haven't seemed to updated this page: https://docs.hetzner.com/robot/dedicated-server/network/10g-uplink/

They haven’t updated that page yet but you can ask support to confirm.

• Where are you able to configure a 10G uplink? I don't see the ability to change to a 10G uplink on any of their servers. Or does this have to be requested via a support ticket?

• @anbelevebel said:

@CyberneticTitan said:

They haven’t updated that page yet but you can ask support to confirm.

their support said it's 20TB

• bethpbethp Member, Host Rep

@Ivan said:
    Where are you able to configure a 10G uplink? I don't see the ability to change to a 10G uplink on any of their servers. Or does this have to be requested via a support ticket?

You have to open a ticket with them and I believe that not all models they will do it, but I know that you can modify a server after the fact just contact them.

• @anbelevebel said:

Is this bullshit or real?

• Sorry, wrong info. It’s still 20TB. I misread.

Thanked by 1Erisa