Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buyvm.net down ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Buyvm.net down ?

momkinmomkin Member
edited February 2020 in Outages

Hello ,
Looks like my VPSwith BUYVM is down when i access stallion i keep getting STATUS UNKNOWN .
I opened emergency ticket an Hour ago , looks like they are in a deep sleep :neutral:

does anyone else have the some issues ?

Comments

• Did you submit a ticket in their client panel before posting on LET?

• @teamacc said:
    Did you submit a ticket in their client panel before posting on LET?

Yes i did an Hour ago , looks like they are in a deep sleep :neutral:

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited February 2020

momkin said: Yes i did an Hour ago , looks like they are in a deep sleep

So their site is up, Stallion is up, are you sure you have not been tinkering and you have done something? I mean it could be a server glitch but..

• @Lee said:

momkin said: Yes i did an Hour ago , looks like they are in a deep sleep

So their site is up, Stallion is up, are you sure you have not been tinkering and you have done something? I mean it could be a server glitch but..

Yes I'm very sure !

• vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited February 2020

Edit:

Apparently it is okay to use LET is helpdesk. Deleted the rest of my message.

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • my vps on lu and ny are online

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Sorry, it's just me on the weekend and I'm currently traveling as well.

We got a single node down and I'm just awaiting a reply from the DC on a fix :) should be soon.

Francisco

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@vyas11 said:
    The help desk for all providers.

Win

• @Francisco said:
    Sorry, it's just me on the weekend and I'm currently traveling as well.

We got a single node down and I'm just awaiting a reply from the DC on a fix :) should be soon.

Francisco

Hi ,
    Thank you for update , i hope it won't take long :wink:

• 🐐

• @corbpie said:
    🐐

Is that a nano goat? or just a small ram?

• Luke007Luke007 Member
    edited February 2020

The OS drive of the node has died as per ticket reply.

• @Luke007 said:

Oh shit , thank god i don't have important data on it :neutral:

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@momkin said:

@Luke007 said:

The OS drives wouldn't have your data on it anyway.

• @Lee said:
    Deadpool, saw it coming.

Haha thanks made me lol been feeling down for a few days now

I have never seen @Lee advertise here or elsewhere. Just curious may we know your brand even if it's over LET pricing as you said before?

Thanked by 1Lee

@momkin said:

@Luke007 said:

Right :)

So for many years we've used simple USB keys for local node OS and such. Works great, we still have hundreds of these.

Thing is, around 6 months ago or so Sandisk changed their drives (users on amazon confirmed the same) where they die extremely quickly without any warning. The 200 or so other ones I got years of use on them without issues, but a bunch of nodes I sent to LUX have all had their OS drives die within days of eachother.

I've been dropping in SSD's for OS drives instead.

Still awaiting a reply, hopefully soon.

Francisco

Thanked by 2timelapse vect0r
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited February 2020

@Francisco Samsung USB drives sir

but small SSDs are so cheap now...

• dontknowdontknow Member
    edited February 2020

This is a very long term issue in my opinion, it's been going on for months. I've heard nothing but excuses for months (always Sandisk's fault, or some other issue). My VPS is up and down like a yo-yo. I don't care whose fault it is, I just want a VPS that works! -- Like 99% of other companies I use.

Francisco seems to have a way with words on public forums like this, but the actual experience of using BuyVM -- for me at least -- has been truly awful.

I've suggested a change of location for my VPS, rather than cancelling my service, but I was told I have to wait in line and beg on a certain day of the month "just in case" a free slot became available. I am the customer, right? -- I'm not the person begging for service.

After being a long term member here, and on other forums/discussion boards that Francisco seems to belong, I was truly amazed at how bad BuyVM are (in my singular experience).

I rented my VPS on June 9, 2019. I've yet to be able to use it due to its unreliability.

I was offered a $10 refund, what am I supposed to do with that? Buy a cup of coffee.

I'm just really disappointed. I expected a Ramnode-like-experience. There is so comparison. Ramnode deliver, without excuses every few weeks.

[Edit}

Yeah, I've opened tickets. Yeah I've been ignored.

We sent 35 nodes to LUX last year that were all using the same sandisk USB key. Same model we used for the other 200 nodes, but the newest ones they made in 2019 have been terrible.

We're still working them out as they break, most nodes are done.

The only outstanding issue I've had in LUX is the router needs a reboot to address a Juniper issue. I did the reboot the other week (when it locked up) but it didn't apply properly.

I saw you bump your ticket earlier today but been working away on other tickets since it's just me on the weekend.

You were offered a complete refund of what you paid in, i'm not sure what else you're wanting minus I guess a move, which is fine and doable. But, I can guarantee you 100% that you'll have another scheduled maintenance/downtime in the next 3 months.

Francisco

• Three months of uptime (with actual connectivity to the Internet (lol)) would be a start!

If you've read the tickets, you'll know I said it's not about the money. $10, what am I supposed to do with that?

I was not bumping tickets, I was reporting what was happening. I hope you understand it's very frustrating. If not, then... okay. I still can't use a BuyVM VPS.

So the reasons/excuses for the poor performance are evident in your reply here. I've never had this issue from any other provider.

I've nothing more to say. I made a bad mistake in trying BuyVM.

• @MikeA said:

No joke, why the hell would you spend money on a USB drive (say 128GB; those are about USD$20 these days) when you could buy a 120GB SSD (consumer grade, eh) for about $23-25 at most?

The only problem is that it'll take up a SATA slot and is less portable, but if that's not an issue, I'd pick the SSD any day.

• @FlamesRunner said:

@MikeA said:

No joke, why the hell would you spend money on a USB drive (say 128GB; those are about USD$20 these days) when you could buy a 120GB SSD (consumer grade, eh) for about $23-25 at most?

The only problem is that it'll take up a SATA slot and is less portable, but if that's not an issue, I'd pick the SSD any day.

You can also use USB to SATA cable if you want to have one dangling down from the front/back of the system.

@FlamesRunner said:

@MikeA said:

Well that was part of it, sata ports.

As well as how easy we can clone things out. Again, theres 200 some odd drives that have far more use on them without fault.

Still, they will all get pulled when we do the ryzen upgrade.

Francisco

dontknow said: So the reasons/excuses for the poor performance are evident in your reply here. I've never had this issue from any other provider.

I'll share with you my nodeping charts for our shared nodes over there. Same racks, switches, routers. I've seen your uptimerobot but I'd like to see if they're accurate for you (basically can you connect to the VPS when it claims to be down). I had someone else reporting the same on a Vegas node, yet that node is full of some of the loudest users we have so they would've brought up 10 - 15 minute outages multiple times a day like uptimerobot claims.

You let me know what you want in the ticket and I'll handle it before bed. I'll be up for another 2 - 3 hours if you're ready.

Francisco

Thanked by 1Foul
  • marvelmarvel Member
    edited February 2020

@FlamesRunner said:

@MikeA said:

Usually the USB key is bootdrive only and it's entirly loaded in memory, so even if it goes bad the system should keep running until you reboot it. So usually you would never r/w to it once you're booted and it shouldn't go bad so quickly.

Today SD cards are still used for the same purpose, just as boot drive they are quickly replaced with small nvme drives though.

Of course it's better to have redundant SSD drives for boot but this will be more expensive and take up more space. And normally if you have a HA setup a node going down should hardly be noticed.

Expect to pay a lot more for your VPS though if you want greater reliability.

• At first I thought the USB thing was a joke, but it seems serious..

Thanked by 2mrTom timelapse
  • LeeLee Veteran

timelapse said: I have never seen @Lee advertise here or elsewhere. Just curious may we know your brand even if it's over LET pricing as you said before?

I am just a plain old customer these days. I sold everything in August last year to a UK company. Due to a 2-year non-compete clause, I can't start anything new. There is a break period in August this year, so if they agree to it, you never know :)

Thanked by 1timelapse
  • joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@Francisco said:

@momkin said:

@Luke007 said:

Right :)

So for many years we've used simple USB keys for local node OS and such. Works great, we still have hundreds of these.

Thing is, around 6 months ago or so Sandisk changed their drives (users on amazon confirmed the same) where they die extremely quickly without any warning. The 200 or so other ones I got years of use on them without issues, but a bunch of nodes I sent to LUX have all had their OS drives die within days of eachother.

I've been dropping in SSD's for OS drives instead.

Still awaiting a reply, hopefully soon.

Francisco

These things, by any chance?

There are (at least) three different design revisions of them, and all of them get sold in the same packaging. Only one of the three has a proper full-sized PCB inside of them, and those work fine. The other two have the full PCB embedded directly into the USB connector, with the shell being empty, and they die quickly of overheating; their write speed is also much worse.

The different models are identifiable by looking at the connector; if you see any kind of dimples or notches on the strip of blue plastic facing outwards from inside the connector, it's one of the crappy ones. The good ones have a fully smooth, fully solid strip of plastic there. You can also see slight differences through the two holes at the top.

edited February 2020

We are using the ultra fit 3s (metal bodies) since they fit inside the chassis in the internal port.

@dahartigan said:
    At first I thought the USB thing was a joke, but it seems serious..

Its recommended by many for hypervisors. Vmware esxi, hyperv core, etc.

As others said, most stuff caches to memory and very little gets written to the drives.

Francisco