Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner counterpart in the US? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner counterpart in the US?

2»

Comments

• @CConner said:

@Hetzner_OL said:
    @kennsann - Oh, great! That model's in pretty high demand at the moment. We're sorry for the delay. The demand is really much higher than our optimisstic estimates. Our team is working at top speed.

@DrCornFlakes - I know that latency can affect your provider choice. We have a growing number of customers in the US. I should have just asked what his use case was. ;)
    I think some larger US cities might already have a few ALDI and LIDL stores ;) --Katie

When's Hetzner coming to the US? You can't tell me that you won't do it because ALDI and LIDL are already there.

ALDI and LIDL are all over the US, not just big cities. I have them deliver to my house and office via Instacart because it's cheap af and I'm lazy af.

I would welcome the hosting industry version here as well. You would crush providers like ovh.us, just like ALDI and LIDL are crushing the average grocery store.

• DrCornFlakesDrCornFlakes Member
    edited February 2020

Didn't realize that LIDL and ALDI were already present and with such number of stores in the US.

Didn't also realize that LIDL has its own TLD! That was a surprise...

• @DrCornFlakes said:
    Didn't realize that LIDL and ALDI were already present and with such number of stores in the US.

Didn't also realize that LIDL has its own TLD! That was a surprise...

Derailed to LIDL and ALDI, thanks @DrCornFlakes :joy:

• @CConner said:

@Hetzner_OL said:
    @kennsann - Oh, great! That model's in pretty high demand at the moment. We're sorry for the delay. The demand is really much higher than our optimisstic estimates. Our team is working at top speed.

@DrCornFlakes - I know that latency can affect your provider choice. We have a growing number of customers in the US. I should have just asked what his use case was. ;)
    I think some larger US cities might already have a few ALDI and LIDL stores ;) --Katie

When's Hetzner coming to the US? You can't tell me that you won't do it because ALDI and LIDL are already there.

Bandwidth/land/labor are more expensive in the US. Even OVH servers in the US are more expensive than their EU counterparts.

• angeliusangelius Member
    edited February 2020

I would gladely pay a 10-15€ premium per server to have dedicated on hetzner US location

@Hetzner_OL don't be shy and launch in the US you will crush the market and make millions in the first month :)

• CConnerCConner Member, Host Rep

@bob1 said:

@CConner said:

@Hetzner_OL said:

Bandwidth/land/labor are more expensive in the US. Even OVH servers in the US are more expensive than their EU counterparts.

All depends on where you put your datacenter, same for the EU I suppose.

• Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Member, Top Host

Unlike a lot of other companies, we don't have external investors. There's some nice advantages to this. It means that we can make decisions more quickly, and we don't have to worry about those investors' profit margins. Instead, we can re-invest directly in the company. The downside is that we need to be cautious when we expand. In addition, when we expand, we want to make sure the quality of our services remains high. So, in general, when we open a new DC park -- wherever that may be -- we want to be sure it's there to stay. --Katie

• uptimeuptime Member
    edited February 2020

@kennsann said:
    How bad is Wholesaleinternet?

3.6 roentgen ...

(I think they're generally okay - depending on your definition of okay.)

@kennsann on rare occasions @qps has some nice deals in Los Angeles location.

They are quality potassium.

Thanked by 1Courvix
  • dahartigandahartigan Member
    edited February 2020

@uptime said:

@kennsann said:
    How bad is Wholesaleinternet?

3.6 roentgen ...

Not great, not terrible.

(I think they're generally okay - depending on your definition of okay.)

@kennsann on rare occasions @qps has some nice deals in Los Angeles location.

They are quality potassium.

Nothing beats hetzner potassium. Premium German engineered potassium reaktor would never break and if it did there would be billions of roentgen released from the potassium cores.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • qpsqps Member, Host Rep

uptime said: @qps has some nice deals in Los Angeles location.

Thanks - yes, QuickPacket has deals from time to time. We have a Dual E5-2620v2 deal in Charlotte that we posted here a few days ago.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • My guess is the first Hetzner datacenter park in north america will be in Canada.

• @pike said:
    My guess is the first Hetzner datacenter park in north america will be in Canada.

If that's the case, make it Vancouver BC. OVH is on the East already. As much as I'd rather see Hetzner NA, I'd at least like a couple of geographic options.

• oneilonlineoneilonline Member, Host Rep

@zevus said:

@MikeA said:
    no, literally. 1Gbps unmetered and 64GB RAM are the hard things for a Hetzner budget of $50-$80. If you don't need any DDoS protection look at NocIX.net.

I guess there'd be wholesaleinternet too.... didn't they used to be... uh, 'partnered' with datashack/nocix? (ed: or are they just the same listings now and gave up the pretense? lol. spent a minute or so comparing the servers & seem the same, ed2: ah, some things say 'out of stock' on nocix, that aren't on wholesaleinternet .. exact same prices and specs, tho)

Yea, wholesaleinternet, Joes datacenter, noxious, datashack, they're all in the same building, same network = same quality. I think they would need to tear up the fiber optic cables and start from scratch to improve their network quality. I'm not sure why it's so poor there.

Thanked by 1zevus
  • MrRadicMrRadic Patron Provider, Veteran

Joes and WSI/NOCIX aren't in the same building. Same city, but I believe WSI/NOCIX either moved out of the tower or have only a small part of their equipment there.