Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Configuring Virtual Users on proFTPD/vsftpd
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Configuring Virtual Users on proFTPD/vsftpd

I managed to get the Virtual Users set up through a database but I've run into a problem. The problem is that I have multiple servers and I've built a panel that allows me to simply create FTP Users with a few clicks depending on the server I choose. However, I was wondering since I have to give the panel each unique database access (per server) in order to create the virtual users, would there be a simpler way to approach this?

I was thinking to use a global database (1 database for all virtual users) however it seems that if I was to do that it would create a user for each machine (e.g. if I want user1 for machine1, it would now be available on machine2, machine3 etc) so how can I exactly solve this? What would be a better approach for something like this?

Comments

• marvelmarvel Member
    edited February 2020

Hi you will need something like a SQL backend for vsftpd.

Like this: https://www.debiantutorials.com/installing-vsftpd-with-mysql-backend/

Edit: ah right I see what you mean now with the different users having access to all servers then. I don't have an answer to that one.

• @marvel said:
    Hi you will need something like a SQL backend for vsftpd.

Like this: https://www.debiantutorials.com/installing-vsftpd-with-mysql-backend/

Edit: ah right I see what you mean now with the different users having access to all servers then. I don't have an answer to that one.

Yep because right now I have a unique database for each server so I have to make a connection to each server's database to add a user. I mean I could look into a way to add a user without making a direct connection to the database.

• Have a global database with a table for each server named SEVERNAME. Then on each server in the /etc/pam.d/vsdtpd file, point table=SERVERNAME

Now you should have a global database where the user resides solely on the desired server.

• I think it'll be quite the effort if I was to do that I mean it's not a bad idea but what I did was I just made executable commands so that way I won't have to make a direct connection to the database but instead execute commands such as, "addftpuser ...", "delftpuser ..." etc.