Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

mail Complete solutions what is the best?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

mail Complete solutions what is the best?

Hi I like to ask opinions on create a complete mail system. I was evaluation some mail providers but nobody is as good as I, creating my on mailscanner-dovecot-exim mail server,

The mail problem is keep running the systems is a little time consuming. and i like to try (because i am making a new system) a complete solution for manage mail system on one separate machine.

I see https://github.com/awesome-selfhosted/awesome-selfhosted#complete-solutions and most of the solutions using docker and looks good. I want to make some small modifications, like use mailscanner to scan with many antivirus as I like, or use dovecot-replication for creating a active-active cluster.

I know it is complicated but in the list of complete solutions if somebody has a running solution can recommend to me what is the best on terms of updated-versions and flexibility.

Regards a lot for the time on reading and answers :-D

Comments

• AnaajkskAnaajksk Member
    edited January 2020

i know your looking for a self-hosted solution
    but i've been using mxroute and its extremely stable and reliable in my opinion

i suggest them over a selfhosted solution . less headache and maintenance on your end.

• TBH self hosting email is a PITA, especially the "delivery" part. That's why many people here (including me) are going to suggest you MXroute (or any other established email service provider) instead.

I personally also run Mailcow-dockerized with @SmartHost's multi-IP VPS running ZoneMTA, but I am migrating most of my 'important' stuffs to MXroute.

If you're looking for an all-in-one solution, I'd recommend looking into mailcow, and use 3rd party email relay (SES, Postmark, Mailgun, etc.) as a sending relay which should take care of IP reputation problems.

Thanked by 1ediaz
  • TripleflixTripleflix Member
    edited January 2020

mailcow-dockerized on hetzner. works like a charm! If u really need it u can relay ur send messages to something better like amazon SES or w/e service u desire...

Thanked by 2ediaz Hetzner_OL
  • I have two problems, one, size of the email, they has now 1,5TB of mails, and the other I need shared folders templates... :-P,

• mxroute

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I know people say MXroute but you said 1.5TB of emails so as the owner of MXroute I'm going to say:

Mailcow :)

• I will give a try :-D thanks a lot for the anwsers :-D I try mxroute in other oportunity :-D Thanks @jar

• Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep

mailcow is good, just remember to keep it up to date.

If you want spam/virus scanning you'll need a reasonable amount of RAM, but without the antivirus it will run with 1gb.

• marvelmarvel Member
    edited January 2020

I run my own mail servers but only for SMTP outgoing. Incoming mail all goes to Office 365. It's just much easier and more reliable to have your mail with a big provider.

I have nothing against mxroute or mailcow but if they decide to call it quits within a few years it's bye bye emails.

Of course I do backup O365 as well which is something you should do with any provider.

Also, the downside of going with a 3rd party mail provider is that they process a lot of mail on the same IPs and it could be blacklisted because of some action of another customer. You don't have that with your own mail server.

• I have been using Mailinabox for a few years and am happy with it. My mail needs are not very intensive, but I do want what little mail comes my way.

• emgemg Veteran

I have been using MXroute for several years. That includes setting up MXroute accounts for my own customers who wanted reliable email service.

Highly recommended.

• ediazediaz Member
    edited February 2020

I am to change the strategy I am power user to configure my on server and create a HA version of this.. maybe I will try iRedMail, Sovereign, or Modoboa. any recomendations? mailcow don't any clear strategy for HA at least no pay (this is no the issue) the issue is not documented and keep a dependecy,... :-P

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@ediaz said:
    I am to change the strategy I am power user to configure my on server and create a HA version of this.. maybe I will try iRedMail, Sovereign, or Modoboa. any recomendations? mailcow don't any clear strategy for HA at least no pay (this is no the issue) the issue is not documented and keep a dependecy,... :-P

Is HA really worth it? The complexity of HA on email is, in my opinion, not worth the gains with a provider of reasonable quality.

Thanked by 1ediaz