Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Password Manager Suggestions - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Password Manager Suggestions

Comments

• @MikeA said:
    Well it's been 2-3 years now I think since I used LastPass, still have no issues with it.

I've been using LastPass for many years but have gone Google-free and their Android app requires Play services. So I'm planning to switch.

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited February 2020

jsg said: Speaking as a security guy I always recommend against cloud based "solutions".

Security guys don't offer solutions that are compatible with my wife's requirements. True story.

And besides, on balance, a cloud-based solution in security terms is a significantly better option than her using the same password everywhere.

• Hey OP, your vote candidates list is really a bunch of disgusting spyware. Please use KeePassXC or PassFF extension if you have to use/keep passwords in a browser.

Thanked by 1ralph
  • LeeLee Veteran

AMXRT said: Hey OP, your vote candidates list is really a bunch of disgusting spyware.

Hey commentor, your ability to read is disgusting.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

Personally I like BitWarden and passwords over 32 characters so impossible to remember, the LastPass had recently security issues unless it was fake news as some news website do fake news for money exactly the same as some PC mags fake reviews.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@Lee said:
    And besides, on balance, a cloud-based solution in security terms is a significantly better option than her using the same password everywhere.

Is it really? It might well turn out to end the same.

But you are right, "what someone's wife wants" really isn't my expertise. So I'll just drop "keeppassx" again and keep it at that.

• LeeLee Veteran

jsg said: Is it really? It might well turn out to end the same.

Indeed, nothing is perfect, but my time is better spent elsewhere than the doom and gloom of every decision made.

1Password has been around long enough, no doubt customers in the millions and reviews are good, no hacks to date. That is sufficient for me.

• acidpukeacidpuke Member
    edited February 2020

I mainly use the paid version of BitWarden I think its $10 a year, works really well for my desktop (Firefox) and sync's to my iPhone for any apps. The free version works just as well but I liked it so much I wanted to support it.

KeePass is another excellent free program I have used for quite a few years, still use but more so as a backup.

• Personally I use KeePass and Bitwarden, though lately I've been using Bitwarden pretty much exclusively for ease of use and the free syncing between OSs and easy browser integration. Might try it self-hosted at some point but it's pretty great.

• I've used Bitwarden for quite some time and recently switched over to 1password as Bitwarden had some annoying kinks for me. Both are great options.

• KeePass, audited and has support for argon2 keys;

• bikegremlinbikegremlin Member
    edited February 2020

@Lee said:

jsg said: Speaking as a security guy I always recommend against cloud based "solutions".

Security guys don't offer solutions that are compatible with my wife's requirements. True story.

Good point. From my experience - many developers I've met use LastPass with no complaints for now. It is free and super convenient.

Though, KeePass is also rather easy and simple to use. However, it does take some more time: no auto filling in logins, you have to copy/paste.

Thanked by 1Lee
  • LeeLee Veteran

bikegremlin said: no auto filling in logins, you have to copy/paste.

I don't have time for that nevermind my wife :)

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@Lee there is actually Apple's own solution with their Keychain thing...that is cross-Apple-platforms as well. I know it constantly asks me if I want to save passwords to it.

• poissonpoisson Member
    edited February 2020

@bikegremlin said:

@Lee said:

Good point. From my experience - many developers I've met use LastPass with no complaints for now. It is free and super convenient.

Though, KeePass is also rather easy and simple to use. However, it does take some more time: no auto filling in logins, you have to copy/paste.

Autofill for browsers work ok. Mobile phones are the tricky ones (talking about KeePass)

Thanked by 1bikegremlin
  • I was using LastPass at first until they sold to LogMeIn. Then I switched to 1Password until Dropbox limiting the sync devices. Now I'm using EnPass and sync with One Drive. Very satisfied with them.

• @Lee said:

It is true we ladies are not so good with technology. I try my best to learn but somehow my guy friends get it much more quickly than I do. :cry:

• @maddy said:

@Lee said:

It is true we ladies are not so good with technology. I try my best to learn but somehow my guy friends get it much more quickly than I do. :cry:

It just means you are hanging with the right crowd.

My experience is that very few women are interested in tech. (or mechanics) stuff, but those who are (and are intelligent and hard working - but this prerequisite goes for guys as well) - they are brilliant (at least with tech. - am yet to meet a female mechanic).

Last year we did a WordPress workshop in my city. One of the best students was a woman. I told her (and really meant it): "keep it up and, within a year, two at most, I'd be the one asking you questions on how to do this and that".

Side note: copy and paste is one of the most vulnerable parts of the password game. copy and paste into a browser or auto-fill by some plugin is akin to crossing a very busy highway with closed eyes.

Do not trust your browser, let alone browser plugins!

If you absolutely want to have the comfort of not typing your passphrase have a look at using webauthn tokens.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

@maddy said:

@Lee said:

Why do so many Chinese guys insist on passing as a woman online?

I guess this is some sort of cultural thing given how common it is, but never understood the reasoning for it.

Thanked by 4Lee tetech TimboJones DP
  • I used RoboForm for years until I found some lifetime deals on StackSocial.

First I got SplashID Safe. It's different from a lot of password managers because you have to copy and paste to log into sites. I quickly stopped using it.

Then I got Sticky Password. It is very similar to RoboForm with the browser extensions and ability to add notes and things like that. I now use this exclusively. Works great, a little slower than RoboForm but I don't have to pay the yearly fee anymore.

• Try 1Password - I'm using it since a while for free thanks to their promotions.
    Running fine, synced over seven devices. No problems with my Apple Devices (iPhone 6, MacBook Pro from 2014).
    Trust in their service is there for sure even though I'm thinking about switching to KeepassXC after the end of my free trial subscription (1 year with the gift code).
    Check out their gift code "CANVA2020". You'll get their family subscription for a year then.

Maybe it'll help you get convinced.

• How about the chrome browser password manager?

• benj0xbenj0x Member
    edited February 2020

@suricloud said:
    How about the chrome browser password manager?

Does it work that well with Apple devices when you're having to put passwords which aren't being used in your browser?
    Would say it's okay as long you're only in Chrome or on Android devices.

• Yes it works on apple with chrome browser.

• @jsg said:
    Side note: copy and paste is one of the most vulnerable parts of the password game. copy and paste into a browser or auto-fill by some plugin is akin to crossing a very busy highway with closed eyes.

Do not trust your browser, let alone browser plugins!

If you absolutely want to have the comfort of not typing your passphrase have a look at using webauthn tokens.

Understand and agree with the plugin part - but how does copy-paste, if it's cleared from RAM afterwards, become more risky than just typing?

Surely, 100% system has to be unusable - but considering we want to go online and use some sort of browser... There is a reasonable, acceptable amount of risk. Using 2FA for the important stuff is fine. But does a simple copy/paste really increase the risk by that much?

• @Nyr said:

@maddy said:

@Lee said:

Why do so many Chinese guys insist on passing as a woman online?

I guess this is some sort of cultural thing given how common it is, but never understood the reasoning for it.

I am sure I have encountered way way more non chinese posing as a woman while obviously a man on the street. MAYBE because in China they do not allow such things so they do it online?

Back to the topic. I use Bitwarden coming from Lastpass and Keepass. Keepass is way more secure minus the convinience, imho.

@bikegremlin said:
    ... but how does copy-paste, if it's cleared from RAM afterwards, ...

Can it really be "cleared" from RAM afterwards?

... But does a simple copy/paste really increase the risk by that much?

Yes. That's why I warned.

• bikegremlinbikegremlin Member
    edited February 2020

@jsg said:

@bikegremlin said:
    ... but how does copy-paste, if it's cleared from RAM afterwards, ...

Can it really be "cleared" from RAM afterwards?

... But does a simple copy/paste really increase the risk by that much?

Yes. That's why I warned.

Thanks for the explanation.

For me personally - it's either copy/paste, or using simpler (and shorter) passwords. So I choose the former. With 2FA for the really important stuff.

It's always a tradeoff between security and convenience. Line has to be drawn somewhere.

• I've been using Enpass for more than a year and it has been working good on my Android, Mac and Windows devices.

Thanked by 1mtsbatalha