Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Emby or Plex on Dedis or Storage VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Emby or Plex on Dedis or Storage VPS

ofitofit Member

Hello guys.
Has anyone used or are using Emby or Plex on online.net Dedis (on Intel® C2350 CPU) or storage VPS? How was it? Is it worth using? What problems did you encounter when using Emby or Plex on storage VPS? Do you use it on HostSolution or HostHatch Storage Box on OVZ or KVM?
As far as I understand, if you do not use transcoding, then Emby or Plex do not load the processor? This is true? Is there a way to disable or block transcoding?

My usage on home Dedi
There are applications on Android and iOS, and on the PC I copy the path to the file when downloading and open it in VLC. This option does not use transcoding, unlike viewing in a browser.

Please share your impressions of Emby or Plex on Dedis and storage VPS. Thanks.

Comments

• For transcoding you need a strong CPU, nothing a hostsolutions storage vps or c2350 cpu can give you.

• ofit said: C2350

I have one with C2338, it can transcode from 720p to 480ish (2-3 concurrent users, but there's lag when transcoding from 1080 to 720 (single user). I don't want transcoding so I always choose smaller size of ISOs.

ofit said: Emby or Plex

Have you try Jellyfin?

Thanked by 2maverickp ofit
  • @pike said:
    For transcoding you need a strong CPU, nothing a hostsolutions storage vps or c2350 cpu can give you.

I know about high CPU usage, but I want to use it at all without transcoding. For example, watch isos on the Android Box or copy the download link and open it in VLC on the PC, but I'm afraid that emby may want to transcode something itself and I will get a warning for the abuse from VPS provider. I would like to know if someone has already used this and what were the problems. Because after 3 days of testing on online.net with the Intel C2350 CPU, the flight is normal and everything suits me, it works even better than I expected and does not load the processor at all.

Thanked by 1RedSox
  • ofitofit Member
    edited February 2020

@Coffee said:

ofit said: C2350

I have one with C2338, it can transcode from 720p to 480ish (2-3 concurrent users, but there's lag when transcoding from 1080 to 720 (single user). I don't want transcoding so I always choose smaller size of ISOs.

Thank you for sharing your experience. I will know what this CPU is capable of.
    I want to watch iso about 10GB file without transcoding. I have fast network 100Mbit / s / 50Mbit / s at home and i can watch isos even bigger than 10GB without any problem.

ofit said: Emby or Plex

Have you try Jellyfin?

Yes tried, but preferred emby since It was more stable.
    Many thanks. This is what I was looking for. These options are on Emby too.

Thanked by 2pike Coffee
  • For Plex just colo and use a CPU with Intel Quicksync support, or even better use something like a Quadro P2000 GPU.

If you can't colo OVH has dedis with E-2288G CPUs with Intel Quicksync support.

Don't go with Online.net they suck :smiley:

• Yesterday I tested on Debian 9 OVZ6 Storage Box from HostSolution work great if disable transcoding. CPU usage like if i watch it from Apache2 server. I share my info from my hetrixtools monitor when useing emby and watching iso about 10GB file. Thanks guys for help.

Thanked by 1RedSox