Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Password Manager Suggestions
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Password Manager Suggestions

So, its time to modernise, I can no longer keep my password written down and need something to do it for me. What are you suggesting for the easiest one that I can also put my wife on as well? Never used one, no idea about any of them.

I have just spent a couple of hours reviewing a few but they all have as many pros/cons as each other.

Must work easily across all Apple devices as well as Windows.

Done a little poll to gauge what people are recommending.

Password Manager
  1. Which Password Manager?138 votes
    1. LastPass
      29.71%
    2. 1Password
      13.77%
    3. BitWarden
      31.16%
    4. DashLane
        2.90%
    5. Something Else
      22.46%

Comments

• rubenruben Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2020

Maybe have a look at KeePass. It's OpenSource and has a ton of Client implementations. A big plus for me is that you can sync it over Nextcloud (or any other cloud storage).

• done, i have been polling

• LeeLee Veteran

ruben said: Maybe have a look at KeePass.

I don't see much love from Apple users who seem to suggest this is more a Windows-based manager with ports for Apple which are hit and miss.

Thanked by 1lukesUbuntu
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

Well it's been 2-3 years now I think since I used LastPass, still have no issues with it.

Thanked by 1Lee
  • DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

I’m looking for one too, that works on Apple as well as Windows.

• Been pretty happy with Enpass. Instead of cloud app it uses database sync via included Dropbox connectivity. All major platforms supported. https://www.enpass.io .

Thanked by 1Lee
  • @MikeA said:
    Well it's been 2-3 years now I think since I used LastPass, still have no issues with it.

Well, I miss multi websites and Android app login in Lastpass. This have changed?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Been happy with 1Password. Though they really emphasize the subscription, you can still buy standalone licenses. I keep my safe on Dropbox.

Thanked by 1Lee
    edited February 2020

@mtsbatalha said:

@MikeA said:

Well, I miss multi websites and Android app login in Lastpass. This have changed?

No clue what you mean by "multi websites" but Android app login works fine for me... but I rarely ever use that. I know that it isn't the best for Android, but for iOS it works well.

• LeeLee Veteran

raindog308 said: Been happy with 1Password.

It certainly appears to get good reviews, I was debating between LastPass and 1password until I saw the really poor and regular reviews on LastPass, especially on TrustPilot where it is rated 2/5 compared to almost 5 for 1password.

• RossGRossG Member, Host Rep

1Password family plan. Works flawlessly, I've used LastPass before and it feels incredibly clunky in comparison.

Thanked by 1Lee
  • NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

If you are an Apple guy, 1Password is really the way to go, but they are pushing very hard the subscription model so consider that it will be a recurring cost.

LastPass is buggy and hasn't the best UX but will probably be around for a long time, Bitwarden could be the next big one but isn't perfect either.

Thanked by 1Lee
  • I've been using msecure for years. It suits my needs.

@RossG said:
    1Password family plan. Works flawlessly, I've used LastPass before and it feels incredibly clunky in comparison.

What apps do you use for 1Password? Browser extension?

• 1password is on my watch list, but I currently use bitwarden

Thanked by 1mtsbatalha
  • Enpass

• I know I’ll probably get hate for this - but I find it stupid to put all your passwords, in one place.

• KeePass is the way to go. For cross-platform compatibility, there is KeeWeb: https://github.com/keeweb/keeweb

Thanked by 1bikegremlin
  • Bitwarden.

• @Moofie said:
    I know I’ll probably get hate for this - but I find it stupid to put all your passwords, in one place.

Then spread your password to some provider. 1 password spread to 2 provider, and you will achieve HA ;)

• @poisson said:
    KeePass is the way to go. For cross-platform compatibility, there is KeeWeb: https://github.com/keeweb/keeweb

I second this. Haven't tried the mac version though (works fine on Windows and Linux). Try this?
    https://macpassapp.org/

LastPass stores all the passwords on their server. KeePass - you can keep it on your computer. And it can all be nicely structured to find what you need. Boils down to whether you consider your computer(s) safer than LastPass's server.

• Have you tried Masterpassword?

• https://keepassxc.org/ Using it for several years now.

Thanked by 2poisson depricated
  • @varwww said:
    https://keepassxc.org/ Using it for several years now.

I use this on all my Linux machines. There is a neat browser integration feature that allows you to auto-fill on supported browsers easily. Also, at least for android, there are apps capable of reading KeePass databases so I have my passwords and other important personal data on my phone (even when offline).

The other nice thing about KeePass is you can store in the database important documents or images. The database size will balloon of course, but I do attach digital copies of really important documents into my KeePass database in case I need them (driver's license, national ID card etc).

• Apple devices seems to the reason I am unable to plug my favourite since 12+ years : Keepass (and now switched to KeepassXC).

The encrypted flat file synced by Dropbox before; now handled by Seafile.

Thanked by 1depricated
  • @poisson said:

@varwww said:
    https://keepassxc.org/ Using it for several years now.

I use this on all my Linux machines. There is a neat browser integration feature that allows you to auto-fill on supported browsers easily. Also, at least for android, there are apps capable of reading KeePass databases so I have my passwords and other important personal data on my phone (even when offline).

The other nice thing about KeePass is you can store in the database important documents or images. The database size will balloon of course, but I do attach digital copies of really important documents into my KeePass database in case I need them (driver's license, national ID card etc).

I can confirm that it works on iphone as well.
    (Being a total git when it comes to smartphones, I took advice for the most idiot-friendly choice that makes good photos)

Thanked by 1poisson
  • LastPass is my favourite

• I use Bitwarden_rs at the moment.
    https://github.com/dani-garcia/bitwarden_rs

Thanked by 1Ouji
  • LeeLee Veteran

I decided to go with 1Password, it fits the brief well in that I also need my wife to use it.

I am going to make the bold statement that LastPass has got the votes it has because people are using the free version rather than it being the best option.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

Depends on what you want and whom you trust.

Speaking as a security guy I always recommend against cloud based "solutions".

If you want something readily available and with a nice gui I'd have a look at keeppass. If you don't want to trust anyone I'd recommend a simple text file, 1 line per entry, and encrypted with e.g. AES using an on-board tool of your OS.

Short explanation: It's virtually never the crypto algorithm that gets cracked - or even just attacked. It's basically always the implementation and/or libraries and/or OS weaknesses that get attacked and cracked.
    From this there arises an obvious rule: the fewer layers the better/less likely vulnerable.

Looking at it like this cloud is the worst solution because it has most layers (plus usually the (security-wise) worst programming languages). Something local with a gui is better but still more vulnerable than something local without a gui.