Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Froxlor a good beginner control panel?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is Froxlor a good beginner control panel?

Hi,
I am going to use a VPS to host some starter sites. I was looking for a free or cheap control panel to manage the server - like cpanel.

I see Froxlor is opensource and seems to be popular, and there is Zesle which is cheap.

Any others I should consider for testing?

I am a layman when it comes to VPS setup, I bought a couple from Virmach, 2 Windows and 2 Linux. Need to put the Linus ones to use :)

Thanks for any input.

Comments

• the best one free for me is vestacp (using myvesta)

• Thanks, I am sure I read somewhere to avoid vesta, something about it being unsafe or something, I think it might be another forum.

• AuroraZAuroraZ Barred
    edited February 2020

If you like no support or updates, and some holes on your panel it is a good choice.

New friendly panels are hard to find. I have used Kloxo-MR but not recently. I have not even looked in on it tbh. Worked ok and was active back then.

Edit: I am beginning to detest this new phone.

Thanked by 1ViridWeb
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

Look at Hestia or Virtualmin.

• ManishPantManishPant Member, Host Rep

CentOS web panel and ISPConfig is also okay

• for basic site, no reseller.. go for aapanel https://www.aapanel.com/

• Cyberpanel
    Centos

@kaz050457 said:
    for basic site, no reseller.. go for aapanel https://www.aapanel.com/

Really that panel is a crap, heavy usage of ram and core all time , vestacp is much better then that

Thanked by 3donko maverickp niceboy
  • @ManishPant said:

@kaz050457 said:

Really that panel is a crap, heavy usage of ram and core all time , vestacp is much better then that

I have a different experience from testing it for a few mths. Pretty light.

@cybertech said:

@ManishPant said:

@kaz050457 said:

I tried on my OVH SSD VPS and for me it was a crap all the time heavy usage , vestacp, CentOs Web Panel and ISPConfig turnouts to be much better then that .

• @ManishPant said:

@cybertech said:

@ManishPant said:

@kaz050457 said:

I tried on my OVH SSD VPS and for me it was a crap all the time heavy usage , vestacp, CentOs Web Panel and ISPConfig turnouts to be much better then that .

Did you test just panel or with a live site?

@cybertech said:

@ManishPant said:

@cybertech said:

@ManishPant said:

@kaz050457 said:

with a live site was installing wordpress

• kaz050457kaz050457 Member
    edited February 2020

@ManishPant said:

@kaz050457 said:

hosted 10 low traffic sites..

my memory usages for the past 30days https://ibb.co/nLf6dhJ average of 400mb ram... Hosted on hetzner cxII..

• @ManishPant said:

@cybertech said:

@ManishPant said:

@kaz050457 said:

Did you test just panel or with a live site? > @ManishPant said:

@cybertech said:

@ManishPant said:

@cybertech said:

@ManishPant said:

@kaz050457 said:

with a live site was installing wordpress

My problem with aapanel is that the default config seem more suitable for larger servers.

After tuning , boom!

• I would recomment CyberPanel instead of Froxlor .. Just try to give a try to cyberpanel. You will get awsome speed on wordpress sites since is using openlitespeed and LSCache.

Thanked by 1tdwuk
  • I use YunoHost. Easy to set up and use.

Thanked by 2tdwuk seriesn
  • I tried Zesle as it was easy to install, seems like a decent starting point.
    This is for my own sites but I want to use as WHM for setting up sites.
    How about RunCloud?

• ViridWebViridWeb Member, Host Rep

@tdwuk said:
    Hi,
    I am going to use a VPS to host some starter sites. I was looking for a free or cheap control panel to manage the server - like cpanel.

I see Froxlor is opensource and seems to be popular, and there is Zesle which is cheap.

I am a layman when it comes to VPS setup, I bought a couple from Virmach, 2 Windows and 2 Linux. Need to put the Linus ones to use :)

Thanks for any input.

With just few $ extra per month I would choose directadmin instead
    Even many providers provide directadmin included with their vps for free.. like buyvm @Francisco

Thanked by 1tdwuk
  • I'm using froxlor for a couple installations and it's running very smoothly. No issues during the last two years, easy updating and very customizable. Can definitely recommend it. If you're looking into another option maybe keyhelp.de is suiting for your needs too.

Thanked by 1tdwuk
  • @tdwuk said:
    Hi,

Thanks for any input.

If you want to use free control panel try VestaCP.

Thanked by 1tdwuk
  • Froxlor it is a very good, very fast and secure open source control panel.

Thanked by 2webcraft tdwuk
  • I am yet to test Froxlor. I totally missed that CyberPanel had a free version, installed that or a Virmach server, seemed to be ok but had issues when trying to install WordPress via installer. Tried manual upload and the files didn't upload.
    Tested on another VPS from Racknerd and it seems to work just fine. Both running ubuntu 18.04.
    I have been told that Ubuntu is more resource-hungry than Centos and I should switch to that.
    Thanks for the input, going to try myvesta, Froxlor and the interesting YunoHost

• MyVestaCP is a very nice control panel. Easy to install and setup.

• illyhostingillyhosting Member, Host Rep

You can check their issues here: https://github.com/Froxlor/Froxlor/issues

• I love these posts because all these control panels suddenly come out of the wood work that I have never heard of before. Sometimes I learn something new, and sometimes I see a lot of shady shit. LOL

• MridulMridul Member
    edited February 2020
    • VestaCP
    • KloxoMR
    • ISPConfig

A better option would be to get a VPS and Get free DirectAdmin with it..with hosts like BuyVM.

Thanked by 1tdwuk
  • HestiaCP (1.1.0) have good improvements if you want try it (is not released yet but you can install it anyway), only thing is lack of file manager :cry:

• @donko said:
    HestiaCP (1.1.0) have good improvements if you want try it (is not released yet but you can install it anyway), only thing is lack of file manager :cry:

Does it still have MPM prefork and php-cgi?
    Do not know why VestaCP and HestiaCP are not adding MPM event and PHP-FPM for Apache.

• @pkr said:

@donko said:
    HestiaCP (1.1.0) have good improvements if you want try it (is not released yet but you can install it anyway), only thing is lack of file manager :cry:

Does it still have MPM prefork and php-cgi?
    Do not know why VestaCP and HestiaCP are not adding MPM event and PHP-FPM for Apache.

php-fpm with mpm prefork, but can be switched to mpm event without breaking anything

• To be honest, after using cyber panel for around a year, I have some thoughts about it.

Pros:

• easy setup
    • easily create everything for a new website with let's encrypt.
    • not bad performance if compare to apache, or Nginx + apache
    • free
    • pretty nice GUI's for configuring it (OLS, not cyber panel ones)

Cons (only about cyber panel):

• very frequently I have broken my whole server with many websites because of upgrades, was not able to log in anywhere at all, because of 500 errors, and so on.
    • I have absolutely ZERO knowledge about OLS and CyberPanel structure, it's some kind of alien technology for me, because almost impossible to read or trace logs, create separate logs for websites, analyze logs (access logs, error logs, etc).
    • htaccess for damn a lot of cases does not work the same as it works on apache, (very common and very frequent rewrite rules).
    • OLS cache works I don't know how, I have enabled it, yes, everything ultra-fast, but I notice a long time ago many bugs with this for dynamic content (where I have everything set correctly, and which works fine out the box on Nginx or fastcgi_cache solutions).

My personal summary:

• because vestaCP much more bugged, and insecure
    • and all other alternatives much worst then cyberpanel (alternatives that I have tried to use).
      I will still stick to the cyberpanel even because of bugs on upgrade stage.
      Because right now as far as I see there are no anything so good as cyberpanel anymore (free ones).

I do not even look into centminmode, or other pre-configured packages of CUI apps.
    I know, that they're good, but not feed my needs.

Thanked by 1tdwuk