Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone is using ApisCP for sell Shared Hosting?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone is using ApisCP for sell Shared Hosting?

I'am curious to read some reviews of people using this control panel to provide shared hosting, since there is not much discussions talking about it.

Seems simply and good to me and pricing is ok for unlimited sites. (but i would like see some small licenses xP)

Other thing i like is integrated wordpress installation, so i can get rid off softtaculous.
And option to set user resource limits.

But afterall i'm only testing with a DO machine with trial license, don't know how performance would towards when i migrate accounts with active sites.

Already saw hostineer.com (which i assume is same apiscp owner) but nothing about other hosting provider offering it.

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

I'd stay away until the owner decides to be less of a dickhead.

There's a thread where he went after Directadmin claiming they were using their work (work that's opensourced). It was easily proved that DA did nothing of the sort (simply checking an old install of DA shows the code isn't there).

Francisco

• RickBakkrRickBakkr Member, Patron Provider, LIR

If all you want are those features and just looking at the cheapest means to, and not after ApisCP specifically; just go with DirectAdmin. The monthly price of DA is even lower; if you are with a provider who is granted internal pricing - or one-time if you are lucky / with a long-time user :)

• ViridWebViridWeb Member, Host Rep

I think lithiumhosting uses ApisCP
    Also the official ApisCP whmcs module created by LithiumHosting

Thanked by 2donko vimalware
  • nemnem Member, Host Rep

@Francisco said:
    I'd stay away until the owner decides to be less of a dickhead.

There's a thread where he went after Directadmin claiming they were using their work (work that's opensourced). It was easily proved that DA did nothing of the sort (simply checking an old install of DA shows the code isn't there).

Francisco

Only two people know the truth of those events that evening. Idiosyncratic compile flags to DA produce a very unique binary you wouldn't find outside the 1990s. I'm more than happy to discuss this with you in PM if you'd like as well as break down the timeline of events. That particular fork is an integral part to the stack and whether you call my posturing a dickhead move and want to make an ad hominem argument of the product, it served its intended purpose: DA isn't touching anything of mine with a ten foot pole going forward. Let them innovate in their own right.

@donko said:
    I'am curious to read some reviews of people using this control panel to provide shared hosting, since there is not much discussions talking about it.

Seems simply and good to me and pricing is ok for unlimited sites. (but i would like see some small licenses xP)

Other thing i like is integrated wordpress installation, so i can get rid off softtaculous.
    And option to set user resource limits.

But afterall i'm only testing with a DO machine with trial license, don't know how performance would towards when i migrate accounts with active sites.

Already saw hostineer.com (which i assume is same apiscp owner) but nothing about other hosting provider offering it.

Lithium Hosting is migrating their clients off of cPanel onto it (rebranded as LiPanel). It's doubling as a very good case study. Troy's worked through one server so far, next one is coming up next Wednesday. Migration is solid at this stage. Only issue we've run into is inotify handlers for cron, which is remedied by increasing the threshold fs.inotify.max_user_instances.

Hostineer is indeed my company and how the panel originated as a series of bug fixes for Ensim. Mini and Starter licenses will be out very soon. Git snapshots for Web Apps are the latest feature, which also performs database rollbacks.

Thanked by 2donko kaz050457
  • @nem said:
    Only two people know the truth of those events that evening. Idiosyncratic compile flags to DA produce a very unique binary you wouldn't find outside the 1990s. I'm more than happy to discuss this with you in PM if you'd like as well as break down the timeline of events. That particular fork is an integral part to the stack and whether you call my posturing a dickhead move and want to make an ad hominem argument of the product, it served its intended purpose: DA isn't touching anything of mine with a ten foot pole going forward. Let them innovate in their own right.

So you/your team wrote every line involved in your stack? Not to get into that whole thread again, but your attitude sucked both then and now.

To OP: I would look into other control panels if your needs are that light, Apiscp does run fairly resource intensive for what it provides. However apart from the drama that the owners have caused, when I tested the control panel I was fairly happy with it however I went with Directadmin and have been very happy.

• I use ApisCP for a few clients. They are relatively new to the industry and seem to like the UI and find it easy. Overall a positive experience, and Matt has patched any bugs I've found within the hour.

Thanked by 1donko
  • AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited January 2020

JustJon said: Apiscp does run fairly resource intensive for what it provides.

Understatement of the month. ;)

@AlwaysSkint said:

JustJon said: Apiscp does run fairly resource intensive for what it provides.

Understatement of the month. ;)

Equivalent memory consumption with Plesk and ~100 MB more than cPanel from what I tested. Some folks like to build homes by using a handsaw to saw down a forest. I'm not one of those people.

Memory is cheap and only getting cheaper as technology evolves, which opens up new tiers of abstraction. Converting Postgres into a time-series database with TimescaleDB obviates the need for InfluxDB plus we can do some fun hot optimizations now. Better yet, I'm not stuck implementing some clunky, slow RRD implementation in PHP. Each service in the stack provides a specific utility. Many of which can be built out of the platform if unneeded as well.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • FlamesRunnerFlamesRunner Member
    edited January 2020

@nem said:
    DA isn't touching anything of mine with a ten foot pole going forward. Let them innovate in their own right.

And you shouldn't be touching any open source software with a 10 foot pole because clearly it's not yours, and you obviously don't understand what open source is.

mod_evasive is released under the GNU GPL v2 license, and you are required by making a fork to afford the same rights given to you (section 6 of the terms and conditions for copying/distribution/modification).

Even if you had evidence that DirectAdmin used your fork of mod_evasive, they would also receive the same rights to modify/distribute/etc as long as they did the same with their use of the module.

That's the whole point of free, open source software. To be able to use another's innovations is exactly why we have the things we do today.

Frankly, your handling of the incident is why I won't use your panel. As much as I like trying new technologies, I simply cannot accept how you tried to discourage DA of the use of your open source, GNU GPL v2 code when your panel uses so much of it.

/rant

Thanked by 1MikePT

FlamesRunner said: Frankly, your handling of the incident is why I won't use your panel. As much as I like trying new technologies, I simply cannot accept how you tried to discourage DA of the use of your open source, GNU GPL v2 code when your panel uses so much of it.

I am more than happy to discuss this over PM with you if you have any other concerns. Same policy applies to anyone else. If you have any rants or misgivings, we can walk through them - just send me a message.

• @nem

I'm not really looking for an argument, just some reasoning on why you wanted to discourage DA from using your open source module.

• luckily most providers i'm with use/support DA.

if any one changes to apecp i will file a paypal dispute immediately.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@nem said:

FlamesRunner said: Frankly, your handling of the incident is why I won't use your panel. As much as I like trying new technologies, I simply cannot accept how you tried to discourage DA of the use of your open source, GNU GPL v2 code when your panel uses so much of it.

I am more than happy to discuss this over PM with you if you have any other concerns. Same policy applies to anyone else. If you have any rants or misgivings, we can walk through them - just send me a message.

Fuck off. Trying to ruin DA's reputation.
    No one stole your fork. Stop it. It's enough.
    If you keep that attitude, things will only get worse. It makes you look ridiculous. You are smarter than that.

• Apiscp support is very good.. And i like @nem how organize he work. apiscp code,api and docu maintaned well..

• I followed up on that linked thread.
    That blog post could certainly have been worded differently to get the good PR boost, without the forum(s) flame fest that ensued.

That said, It still looks like a compelling intelligent product with an interesting future ahead.
    Re-branding to ApisCP is a good start.

Thanked by 1nem