Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wordpress or Ghost ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Wordpress or Ghost ?

Give me few opinions about blog script .
Which will be better for personal use Wordpress or ghost ?

Or do you recommend any others blog script ?

Comments

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

Try better Grav CMS

• @WebProject said:
    Try better Grav CMS

Which one better cms or blog for personal use?

• @Sadcasm said:

@WebProject said:
    Try better Grav CMS

Which one better cms or blog for personal use?

+1 for grav. It is a little flaky- a plug-in here or a theme there can break the otherwise smooth and speedy workflow

Other than that, it's one of the easiest CMS to work with

• I'd say that WordPress is quite good in terms of ease of use, support, available documentation and tutorials, available options concerning visual design and functionality. It is what I chose after weighing other available options and think it is "the least bad option" for a blog.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • Depends what and who it's for. I personally prefer building static websites on HTML or bootstrap myself.

For a blog, I'd go for ghost - I love it's simplicity and it's also great for company documentation websites.

Wordpress was meant to be a simple blog platform. With the risk of everyone here hating me, it's now a weird Frankenstein CMS with terrible native security and continuous incompatibility with plugins and new vulnerabilities.

• @Sadcasm said:
    Give me few opinions about blog script .
    Which will be better for personal use Wordpress or ghost ?

Or do you recommend any others blog script ?

+1 for wordpress

• nemnem Member, Host Rep

Ghost <3

Thanked by 1Sadcasm
  • I think for Wordpress don’t need to be more expert
    But ghost need to be more expert on vps as well as configuring server

• vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited January 2020

@Sadcasm said:
    I think for Wordpress don’t need to be more expert
    But ghost need to be more expert on vps as well as configuring server

The google cloud platform has a ghost off the shelf option if you would like to get your hands dirty. You can use the GCP credit for that.

If you are a tad more adventurous this is a good tutorial to follow
    https://websiteforstudents.com/?s=Ghost&post_type=post

Thanked by 2raindog308 uptime
  • @Synatiq said:
    Depends what and who it's for. I personally prefer building static websites on HTML or bootstrap myself.

For a blog, I'd go for ghost - I love it's simplicity and it's also great for company documentation websites.

Wordpress was meant to be a simple blog platform. With the risk of everyone here hating me, it's now a weird Frankenstein CMS with terrible native security and continuous incompatibility with plugins and new vulnerabilities.

I take it your comments on WordPress are personal, since your website has WP offerings.

About which maybe an OT/PM is called for st a later time. Cheers

• I'm happy with WordPress :)

Thanked by 1Sadcasm
  • +1 Ghost. You don't have to be an expert to deploy it yourself - it is pretty straight forward even if you only have limited Linux experience.

Can always go with managed hosting for $25/mo

• Ympker said: I'm happy with WordPress

Me too. Especially with Divi Builder :wink:

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • LeeLee Veteran

Sadcasm said: Which will be better for personal use Wordpress or ghost ?

You need to try Ghost first, whilst it is a fantastic platform to 'just blog', it lacks so much out of the box. Search function? Nope. Organization of posts? Odd tagging system that could easily be counter-intuitive depending on your blog and the need to arrange content in a sensible way.

Wordpress whilst not perfect is a way better starting solution than Ghost. Even Grav is a good option.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Anything but Wordpress.

• Ghost also not user friendly specially when it is for installation

• JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

WordPress is prem

• LeeLee Veteran

Sadcasm said: Ghost also not user friendly specially when it is for installation

To be fair it is, they have an installer now, there is little configuration required pre-install but they give you the instructions for it.

https://ghost.org/docs/install/ubuntu/

Now, if you already tried that and are struggling, you need to wipe Ghost off your list.

• @Sadcasm said:
    Ghost also not user friendly specially when it is for installation

Good luck navigating hot mess that is WordPress if you are having difficulties with Ghost installation.

• MichaelCeeMichaelCee Barred
    edited January 2020

@Synatiq said:
    Depends what and who it's for. I personally prefer building static websites on HTML or bootstrap myself.

No hate, somewhat agree with you. But until they start charging $0.2 per domain installation I'll be sticking with WP :tongue:

• LeeLee Veteran

Synatiq said: Wordpress was meant to be a simple blog platform.

It still is if you want it to be. Core Wordpress does exactly what it has always offered, a simple blogging platform. If you start extending it with plugins, bloated themes and whatever else then it's you that is changing its purpose, not Wordpress.

Thanked by 1bikegremlin
  • On https://ghost.org/ , they do a pretty good job of hiding the free version of Ghost. There's no "Download" page, and the "Pricing" page doesn't mention that there's an open source version for the masses -- only a version for developers. Of course, this doesn't mean that Ghost isn't good -- only that there's a certain amount of obfuscation with respect to the open source version.

One might say that that the same is true of https://wordpress.com/ , but in this case, there's https://wordpress.org/ .

• @angstrom said:
    On https://ghost.org/ , they do a pretty good job of hiding the free version of Ghost. There's no "Download" page, and the "Pricing" page doesn't mention that there's an open source version for the masses -- only a version for developers. Of course, this doesn't mean that Ghost isn't good -- only that there's a certain amount of obfuscation with respect to the open source version.

One might say that that the same is true of https://wordpress.com/ , but in this case, there's https://wordpress.org/ .

Congratulations on your 11,944 visits. :smiley:

Thanked by 2angstrom uptime
  • vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited January 2020

@Lee said:

Synatiq said: Wordpress was meant to be a simple blog platform.

It still is if you want it to be. Core Wordpress does exactly what it has always offered, a simple blogging platform. If you start extending it with plugins, bloated themes and whatever else then it's you that is changing its purpose, not Wordpress.

I have been experimenting with Classicpress- a fork of WP. Below is the homepage of a test site I created this morning. It does the job of blogging, on a simple elegant website CMS done. Now one can also install it through Softaculous for those use use it / prefer it.

Unless one looks under the hood, there is no way of telling it's not WP.
    They should take a cue from Land O' Lakes and call it "I Can't believe it's not Wordpress"

https://www.classicpress.net/about/

https://www.classicpress.net/blog/how-to-install-classicpress-in-softaculous-installer/

Thanked by 2angstrom uptime
  • angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited January 2020

@vyas11 said: I have been experimenting with Classicpress- a fork of WP. Below is the homepage of a test site I created this morning. It does the job of blogging, on a simple elegant website CMS done. Now one can also install it through Softaculous for those use use it / prefer it.

I hadn't heard of ClassicPress (it's fairly new), and it seems that Softaculous doesn't yet come with it.

I guess that the question would be: why (really) prefer ClassicPress to WordPress (given that ClassicPress is a fork of WordPress)?

If I wanted a self-hosted blogging platform in 2020, I'd probably go either with WordPress (arguably now the de facto standard) or with a radical (well-supported, flat-file) alternative such as FlatPress. (A few years ago, HTMLy was a nice alternative, but unfortunately, it seems to have been abandoned.) Naturally, if one went with a radical alternative, one wouldn't have all of the functionality of WordPress, but one would gain simplicity and a much lighter (and potentially less targeted) installation as a result.

Thanked by 1Lee

I wouldn't do blogging at all in 2020. Its time has passed.

Thanked by 1Synatiq
  • vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited January 2020

@angstrom said:
    @vyas11 said: I have been experimenting with Classicpress- a fork of WP. Below is the homepage of a test site I created this morning. It does the job of blogging, on a simple elegant website CMS done. Now one can also install it through Softaculous for those use use it / prefer it.

I hadn't heard of ClassicPress (it's fairly new), and it seems that Softaculous doesn't yet come with it.

I guess that the question would be: why (really) prefer ClassicPress to WordPress (given that ClassicPress is a fork of WordPress)?

If I wanted a self-hosted blogging platform in 2020, I'd probably go either with WordPress (arguably now the de facto standard) or with a radical (well-supported, flat-file) alternative such as FlatPress. (A few years ago, HTMLy was a nice alternative, but unfortunately, it seems to have been abandoned.) Naturally, if one went with a radical alternative, one wouldn't have all of the functionality of WordPress, but one would gain simplicity and a much lighter (and potentially less targeted) installation as a result.

I installed Classicpress on SmallWeb Au, Myw.pt- DE and another non LE S/T host this morning- using Softaculous.
    Edit: another multisite install on a VPS. Practically no different than a stock WP install. But lightweight, default install is faster on Pingdom or gtmetrix

Coming to the question - why another CMS/ fork of WP?
    Not defending or justifying the reasons for ClassicPress, but it's all about options / choice. WordPress itself was a fork of B2 if I recall correctly.
    Edit: It was B2 of cafelog. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WordPress#History

One could have made similar argument for Ubuntu 15 years ago or CentOS almost similar time period ago.
    Incidentally, Distrowatch shows 121 variants of Debian based Linux distributions - current and former. (not all inclusive or exhaustive, but a good representative number). Excluding custom developments.

There was some site that had listed over 350 Content Management Systems - many of them are no longer in development similar to HTMLy (I had used it and loved it for its simplicity, too!) This excludes custom developments as well. Wikipedia lists nearly a 100.

Why so many when we have three or four dominant platforms, and then there are Squarespace, Wix and Weebly (and a few others including page builders)?

One way to look at it would be to confuse the hell out of users!

@deank

I agree - plain old text blogging may not be in vogue anymore, its mixed media. We still publish blog posts for our podcasts because Speech to Text in Non English languages is not yet ready for automatic transcription. For that matter, STT in English is not yet perfected. SEO, need for shownotes, extra information that may not be available in the audio etc could be some of the reasons why we publish posts.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • @deank said:
    I wouldn't do blogging at all in 2020. Its time has passed.

I wouldn't necessarily say that. It's true that the heyday of blogging is over when everyone and their dog was blogging or wanted to blog.

However, I think that there's still a role for serious blogging -- blogs that involve some thought, research, and writing.

Nowadays, Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook can easily accommodate all of the non-serious (wannabe) blogging/bloggers.

edited January 2020

Blogging can only be on a steady decline due to a simple fact.

Humans are losing the ability to read for a prolonged period. This is due to humans losing the ability to think on their own.

In short, the end is nigh.

Thanked by 2bikegremlin Ympker
  • angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited January 2020

@vyas11 said:

@angstrom said:

I installed Classicpress on SmallWeb Au, Myw.pt- DE and another non LE S/T host this morning- using Softaculous.

Ah, my bad, I see that ClassicPress is under "Portals/CMS" and not under "Blogs" (in this respect, unlike WordPress).

Coming to the question - why another CMS/ fork of WP?
    Not defending or justifying the reasons for ClassicPress, but it's all about options / choice. WordPress itself was a fork of B2 if I recall correctly.
    [...]

My question was really just "Why ClassicPress and not WordPress?", which is what a prospective user might ask. I didn't mean to ask the more general question "Why software forks?".

As far as I can tell from their website, one advantage of ClassicPress over WordPress is its more democratic governing body. The page https://www.classicpress.net/democracy/ is impressively detailed.

Thanked by 1vyas11