Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Difference between OVH "Datacenter" and "Enterprise" NVMe drives?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Difference between OVH "Datacenter" and "Enterprise" NVMe drives?

integritlyintegritly Member
edited January 2020 in Help

I just got off the phone with OVH sales and they weren't able to give me any differences between their Datacenter and Enterprise disks, but even the drive sizes are different so I figure there must be something to set them apart.

As an example, their Advance 2 servers come with 2x 500 GB/1TB "Enterprise" NVMe drives with an option for 2x 1.92TB "Datacenter" drives while their Rise 1 servers come with 2x 450GB/1.92TB "Datacenter" drives.

Are their "Enterprise" drives really just consumer drives, or is it just a way for them to tell different model drives apart? I also asked about this, but they couldn't give me that info either.

So, if any of you have one of these servers, I would appreciate if you could let me know what model NVMe drives it came with.

Thanks.

Comments

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 2020

No difference really. The smaller drives are datacenter drives as well. I have a few of the Advance line servers both with 512GB NVMe and 1.92TB NVMe options and the 512GB NVMe ones are "WDC CL SN720" models. OVH never uses consumer drives in their servers.

Thanked by 1integritly
  • JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

I am not sure, to be honest I’ve only seen big name brands in their servers and so far all our servers have had new drives and pretty fast I/O speeds.

I wish they would do more hardware raid, to save the headache of messed up drive replacements.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 2020

@experttechit said:
    I am not sure, to be honest I’ve only seen big name brands in their servers and so far all our servers have had new drives and pretty fast I/O speeds.

I wish they would do more hardware raid, to save the headache of messed up drive replacements.

Hardware raid for NVMe? good luck. replacing failed drive in software raid is rather simple.

Thanked by 2ViridWeb webcraft