Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SSDNodes RAM is not fully utilized - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SSDNodes RAM is not fully utilized

2»

Comments

• @optisoft said:

>

They are better than others ( because use very robust servers ) but of course their resources as ram arent only yours.

>

True. Their servers are really robust. That's why I have been using their VPS for ~4 years. But this problem popped up recently. Never had this issue in past.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • I bought a 10x performance 24G VPS last year for $191.99.
    Now the price is $149 with more disk and cpu cores.

I'm worried about how they make the business sustainable, yes the memory and ssd price is dropping significantly, but moore's law would not work every time.

• I wonder if his app is only using 2gb and SSDNodes is using ballooning to reclaim the unused portion where is other hosts aren't reclaiming.

So he believes the app is using more, but it actually is not and is only reserving it.

This method of ballooning might also account for cpu usuage.

Without him posting some tests we ask for all we can do is guess. It is really all up to him to run the tests and post the screens.

• @pkr said:

@optisoft said:

>

They are better than others ( because use very robust servers ) but of course their resources as ram arent only yours.

>

True. Their servers are really robust. That's why I have been using their VPS for ~4 years. But this problem popped up recently. Never had this issue in past.

I've used them too for quite awhile and ocassionally had my VPSs slow down and get bogged up. Twice it was due to some issue with the (I don't know the terminology here..) system they were using: once it was some update problem with their Virtuozzo 7 upgrade, and the other time was an issue related to transitioning from Virtuozzo to a proper KVM. Both times there was no notice that an upgrade or change was going to happen. But both times they got it fixed. And both times I had more than one service with them, and the other service was fine (already having been upgraded or changed before I started using it. I guess). So definitely open a ticket, they may be doing something to "improve their service". * I actually have a 24Gb Ram service with them right now and it has performed superbly.

• I got the following response from SSDNodes. Now I understand why RAM is not fully utilized. I don't think it's the right thing for KVM; I may be wrong.
    I wanted to buy their VPS at NY and Frankfurt locations, but only these two locations have such settings. Their TX and CA VPS are fine. Time to wait for BF deals. :wink:

All our servers are configured the same way.

As you probably know Linux (which was designed to run on a physical server not a VM) maintains a disk cache in memory.
    The cache is one function of Linux's virtual memory manager. If left unchecked Linux would use all the memory in your VM (that you are not otherwise using) to provide the disk cache.

The host your VM runs on provides a LOT of disk caching (about 100Gb shared across all its VMs) so it's unnecessary for VMs to use gigabytes of RAM duplicating that effort.

• Their BF pricing is really low. 24GB ram NVME is for $99/1yr.

• MissFortune said: Their BF pricing is really low. 24GB ram NVME is for $99/1yr.

You mean $99/yr

But I'm pretty sure it's gonna be for a 3yr commitment, like all their promos.

• @Ouji said:

MissFortune said: Their BF pricing is really low. 24GB ram NVME is for $99/1yr.

You mean $99/yr

But I'm pretty sure it's gonna be for a 3yr commitment, like all their promos.

It is 79/yr with a 3yr commitment. 99 if yearly. I will probably wait for more BF offers. Been reading bad stuffs about SSDNODES.

Thanked by 1storycrafter

• Hello everyone out there, I bought a VPS of 8GB of RAM in 2017, I am a customer already 3 years, but in the third year my websites have been affected.

Includes 8GB RAM, the first quick year
    The second quick year
    But the third year my websites load very slow and I still use the same amount of ram. (4GB RAM)

On other servers .php file are loaded in 1 second, in ssdnode they are loaded in 6 seconds.
    From one moment to the next it got super slow, before ssdnodes was very fast.

I'm starting to snoow that SSDNODES has lost the quality it had and doesn't have fast VPS, it's oversold.
    A few days ago I paid for 1 more year believing the problem was me, but I moved my websites on other servers and they load super fast. There is no way to recover my money, I warn you SSNODES has lost the quality that characterized it.

• You don't buy an 8 GB ram server for $49 USD a year and expect it to be dedicated to you. At that price, you are probably getting guaranteed 10% of the advertised specs, and the rest "whenever" free.

• @freelanceonline ”omg I expect an 8GB RAM box for $7/mo to perform well!”

• @doghouch said:
    @freelanceonline ”omg I expect an 8GB RAM box for $7/mo to perform well!”

But is that consumers fault? I mean yes, one should do their due diligence. But end of the day, false advertising is punishable by law for a reason.

Thanked by 1sanvit
  • For 3 years SSDNODES was a very good supplier, it was very fast, but everything changed these last 4 months. Everything got slower.

7 USD for 8GB ram are very well paid, when there are options like Google, Azure, Amazon where you can get more RAM dedicated at a low price.

The problem is that SSDNODE became slow.They've had aggressive marketing that ended up killing their servers.

• IonSwitch_StanIonSwitch_Stan Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2020

@freelanceonline not to defend SSDNodes, but some data would help your case. There are many ways to log performance over time, and a graph could go a long way to helping your case with support.

If your CPU-steal is high (look at top), then your CPU time is being taken away from you, otherwise there is a good chance its not CPU. You could run a geekbench4 once every 4 hour, and log the results. Log your CPU steal. Etc. Though, now I see "TUN/TAP", so I assume this is OpenVZ6 -- expecting stellar performance from a budget OpenVZ6 instance might be troublesome.

A simple benchmark should illustrate the issue (is the CPU not on par with other systems with the same cpu?). Is it a disk io/latency issue? etc.

If you want some help collecting meaningful metrics, reach out (discord, skype, gchat, etc) and I'd be more than happy to review with you.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • edited January 2020

@IonSwitch_Stan said:
    @freelanceonline not to defend SSDNodes, but some data would help your case. There are many ways to log performance over time, and a graph could go a long way to helping your case with support.

If your CPU-steal is high (look at top), then your CPU time is being taken away from you, otherwise there is a good chance its not CPU. You could run a geekbench4 once every 4 hour, and log the results. Log your CPU steal. Etc. Though, now I see "TUN/TAP", so I assume this is OpenVZ6 -- expecting stellar performance from a budget OpenVZ6 instance might be troublesome.

A simple benchmark should illustrate the issue (is the CPU not on par with other systems with the same cpu?). Is it a disk io/latency issue? etc.

If you want some help collecting meaningful metrics, reach out (discord, skype, gchat, etc) and I'd be more than happy to review with you.

This is what they supposedly give me
    But my webs with .php take 5 to 6 seconds to load.

They know the topic, I've tried different benchmark scripts and they all yield favorable results.
    https://blog.ssdnodes.com/blog/how-to-test-ssd-hosting-performance/

I'm not going to waste any more time on SSDNODES so I migrated my entire website to another provider and it's loading very fast

• It's very fast to read and process internal tasks, but it's too slow to perform external tasks, with CURL, File_get_contens, it's extremely slow than normal (15 seconds).

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited January 2020

freelanceonline said: It's very fast to read and process internal tasks, but it's too slow to perform external tasks, with CURL, File_get_contens, it's extremely slow than normal (15 seconds).

If you just move hosts instead of learn how to diagnose issues like this, keep backups handy because you have no idea what conditions will cause you to have to do it again. SSDNodes is not sniffing packets to specifically slow down PHP requests, I can assure you of that. Now you don't know why your new host is faster which means you don't know if it's reliable or in turn you just slowed it down for some other random visitor by trading one upstream for another, etc. This is not how system administrators operate.

Thanked by 2vyas11 vimalware
  • edited January 2020

I did not do a speedtest-cli, but I suppose that the download speed of the server must be catastrophic to take 20 seconds, which in other providers takes only 5 seconds.

There are several reasons why the file_get_contents command might be slow, I'm not going to spend the day researching, I'm a programmer.

• @freelanceonline said:
    There are several reasons why the file_get_contents command might be slow, I'm not going to spend the day researching, I'm a programmer.

If your time is that important, then pay extra to ensure you get the performance that you need. Also, have you reached out to SSDNodes support to seek answers?

• We're going to get to the end of this thread and find out he's got a faulty dns server or something that's timing out on every external request.

• freelanceonline said: I'm not going to spend the day researching, I'm a programmer.

You are programattor.

Thanked by 2dizaime uptime
  • @skorous said:
    We're going to get to the end of this thread and find out he's got a faulty dns server or something that's timing out on every external request.

Lol, exactly my thoughts. Sounds so much like it. 😁

Thanked by 1skorous
  • the screenshots look ok though. almost no steal.

• They didn't refund my money, I switched to the new servers and my website is like a bullet.Every time I get slow I will have to migrate to new servers, that's the game here.

• @freelanceonline said:
    Every time I get slow I will have to migrate to new servers, that's the game here.

Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Thanked by 2saibal AndrewL64
  • @uptime said:

@freelanceonline said:
    Every time I get slow I will have to migrate to new servers, that's the game here.

Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Possible sites to subscribe:
    jumpahost. com
    skipahost. net