Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LEB idling record
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LEB idling record

DrCornFlakesDrCornFlakes Member
edited January 2020 in General

I have an Hetzner server idling for 1 year and 3 months.

Can you do better?

Yes I can
  1. For how long have you been idling a server?49 votes
    1. I have a server idling for more than 2 years
      53.06%
    2. I have a server idling for more than 1 year and less than 2 years
      14.29%
    3. I have a VPS idling for... - you're no good, this isn't your poll, join the boy's little league
      32.65%

Comments

• 4 years and counting...

• seriesnseriesn Member
    edited January 2020

I am idling my self for last 29 years. Beat that!

• pikepike Veteran

I have two hostsolutions 10€/yr OVZ containers that are idle for three years.

• SteveMCSteveMC Member
    edited January 2020

seriesn said: I am idling my self for last 29 years. Beat that!

I can, but if I do, I'll disrupt my idling.

Thanked by 1NobodyInteresting
  • What for? I don't understand.

• JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

@seriesn said:

I can't sir :( 26 years nearly 27 :joy:

• @pike said:

Why do you keep extending them then?

• @marvel said:

@pike said:

Exactly my thought. This forum is turning into a server collector's social club.

Please join us too.

Thanked by 2Edmond Chronic
  • @Jord said:

@seriesn said:

I can't sir :( 26 years nearly 27 :joy:

Pfft. babies.

• pikepike Veteran

@marvel said:

@pike said:

It feels right.

• HostSlickHostSlick Member, Patron Provider

Anyone here does Idle Dedicated Servers? or only VPS?

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

I bought two Black Friday 2019 deals, and both are idling.
    HostSlick VZ7 4GB is meant to be building Docker images.
    Gullo VZ7 128MB is meant to be running NodeJS.
    I hope I can get to them before the year is up.

I have big dedicated servers (dual Cascade Lake, be jealous) idling in my office.
    I need to get my software benchmark running so that I can publish papers.

• @seriesn said:

Challenge accepted. 34. Your idling has been beaten.

Thanked by 1seriesn
  • Brain has been idling since 9months before birth

Doh!

Thanked by 1seriesn
  • @t0ny0 said:

@seriesn said:

Challenge accepted. 34. Your idling has been beaten.

Damn it!

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

I idle most of my servers. Providers are usually happy about that.

Thanked by 1Janevski
  • JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited January 2020

@FAT32 said:

There should be a feature, silent vm suspension and deletion due to idling, but service still not terminated, so it can continue billing recurringly.
    Instead, the provider just sends you incoherent texts and intangible ufo abduction images, from time to time, via e-mail.
    If it's a very pricey premium plan, they can even throw in a mystery box from time to time, with various random, but extremely odd and related things inside.
    And if it's deluxe plan, you get love messages and tits adressed to you, but on your wife's number, additionally.

• Well, if you want to talk idling gym membership...

6years, 1month. I've been there twice. The first time I was waiting in line to get my tag to get in, but gave up and left. Second time I came, no lineup, got my tag and then left.

Most expensive key charm I've ever bought.

• @Janevski said:

@FAT32 said:

> There should be a feature, silent vm suspension and deletion due to idling, but service still not terminated, so it can continue billing recurringly.

Instead, the provider just sends you incoherent texts and intangible ufo abduction images, from time to time, via e-mail.

That's the Cloud at Cost "feature".

Thanked by 1Janevski
  • @TimboJones said:
    Well, if you want to talk idling gym membership...

6years, 1month. I've been there twice. The first time I was waiting in line to get my tag to get in, but gave up and left. Second time I came, no lineup, got my tag and then left.

Which gym is it? And how much you paying lol. Most gym I know in US are notoriously hard to cancel. My neighbor has $10/month Planet Fitness membership and doesn’t go at all, and just keeps paying since it is so hard to cancel she said lol.

• I was new to VPS and was using Scaleway and I think I deleted the VPS but forgot to delete the IP address associated with it, and was getting billed like $1~$2/month for long time lol. I didn’t notice/pay much attention to it in credit card since it was relatively small charge every month in credit card statement.

I still feel salty about it sometimes

• chrispchrisp Member
    edited January 2020

I have a Hostsailor KVM machine for 6$/year, that I haven't ssh'd into even once. Just too cheap to cancel.

Thanked by 1pike
  • You should not know what you have if you are good at idling

Thanked by 1pike
  • @pike said:

Would love an uptime % for those

• pikepike Veteran

@corbpie said:

@pike said:

Would love an uptime % for those

Sorry, I'm not using uptime monitor or stuff like that. But yesterday I logged in and noticed the OS got upgraded from Debian 6 to Debian 8. The only time I remember both where down/had unuseable network was during the DDoS attacks. When I used one to tunnel all traffic of my open w-lan hotspot through it I could happily reach 150mbit at all times, same for using it as proxy for uTorrent.

• I remember few years back I have a lot of idling server. As of right now, I am too busy to even idle a server. I terminated all of my idle server, including but not limited to yearly windows vps virmach and $1 Aruba cloud.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@ps20090 said:

@TimboJones said:

Which gym is it? And how much you paying lol. Most gym I know in US are notoriously hard to cancel. My neighbor has $10/month Planet Fitness membership and doesn’t go at all, and just keeps paying since it is so hard to cancel she said lol.

Gym: a place with barbells that you can do dead lifts.

Planet Fitness is a joke, not a gym.
    To cancel Planet Fitness, grab a barbell from their bench press, and do dead lifts in front of "no dead lifts" sign. Drop the weights loudly a few times.
    You'll hear the lunk alarm, and then your membership can be canceled within 5 minutes.

I have $25 membership at a real gym. I don't let it idle for more than 4 days, except when I'm sick.

• @chrisp said:
    I have a Hostsailor KVM machine for 6$/year, that I haven't ssh'd into even once. Just too cheap to cancel.

Did you shut it down? It might become weaponized if left unattended forever.

• @ps20090 said:

@TimboJones said:

Hockey player branded gym. Paying $14.99/mo for life where regular price is $29.99 I think. Gym membership is like $49.99/mo for one a block away. I'm certain it's fairly easy to cancel by phone or email, I just say to myself "I'll go to the gym on Saturday" roughly 25 times a year.

Thanked by 1yoursunny