Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Find and replace with my file ( CENTOS 7 ) HELP
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Find and replace with my file ( CENTOS 7 ) HELP

I'm using Centos and I would like to find the files and replace them with my file in /root/game.php.
I did it the following way but it's not good.

I want the other way around.
[root@ns1 home]# grep -lr --include=*.php "dasoekdas" | xargs -I{} cp -v {} "/root/game.php"
‘xxx/domains/xxx.com/public_html/test/game.php’ -> ‘/root/game.php’
‘xxx/domains/xxx.com/public_html/game.php’ -> ‘/root/game.php’

That's how I want it to be
‘/root/game.php’ -> ‘xxx/domains/xxx.com/public_html/game.php’

Comments

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Something like this:

find /some/path -type f -name game.php -exec cp /root/game.php {} \;

Thanked by 2pr0lz panthera666
  • @raindog308 said:
    Something like this:

> find /some/path -type f -name game.php -exec cp /root/game.php {} \;
    > 

Thank you!

I need script for find the php file that contains the text "dasoekdas" and replace it with the file in /root/game.php

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

panthera666 said: I need script for find the php file that contains the text "dasoekdas" and replace it with the file in /root/game.php

Sorry I thought you were just copying based on filenames. I would probably do something like "for file in (grep statement here resulting in a list of files) ; do cp $source $file ; done"

• for your initial command obviously the order of source and destination in the cp part is wrong.
    with -I{} you force xargs to insert the output at the given placeholder instead of just at the end as per default.
    which then puts your grep-result right before your file, moving that to be the destination instead in the cp command.
    so you probably just don't need that fancy stuff to reverse source and dest:

grep -lr --include=*.php "dasoekdas" | xargs cp -v "/root/game.php"
    Thanked by 1panthera666
  • grep -lr --include=*.php "dasoekdas" | xargs cp -v "/root/game.php
    cp: target ‘xxx/domains/xxx.com/public_html/game.php’ is not a directory

• sorry, you always should check yourself, what the options/flags for each command are doing... my post was just to point out that the order of src and dest was wrong - I did not bother to check on the rest at all.

you probably need a -T in the cp as well, as it normally expect the destination to be a dir and you also might think of -f to force overwrite (though I am not sure if that's really needed, rarely use cp at all ;-))

grep -lr --include=*.php "dasoekdas" | xargs cp -Tfv "/root/game.php"

not here to preach, but please start conducting your own research on each command that you are using instead of blindly copying random stuff from the internet ;-)

Thanked by 2uptime panthera666
  • @panthera666 said:

grep -lr --include=*.php "dasoekdas" | xargs cp -v "/root/game.php
    cp: target ‘xxx/domains/xxx.com/public_html/game.php’ is not a directory

Congrats on your second comment

Thanked by 1panthera666
  • uptimeuptime Member
    edited January 2020

@panthera666 said:
    I need script for find the php file that contains the text "dasoekdas" and replace it with the file in /root/game.php

I am just curious to know whether:

you want to learn how to write a script?

or you want to pay someone to write it for you?

Thanked by 1panthera666
  • rcxbrcxb Member
    edited January 2020

@Falzo said:

This will fail ("cp: dest is not a directory") if the grep matches more than one file. You need to use xargs -L1.

Thanked by 2Falzo panthera666
  • If anyone wants to help me

grep -lr --include=*.php "dasoekdas" | xargs cp -Tfv "/root/game.php"
    cp: extra operand ‘xxx/domains/xxx.com/public_html/game.php’
    Try 'cp --help' for more information.

• @panthera666 - you need to understand what you are doing otherwise you are likely to screw up your system

Make a backup

Test your script in a different directory, not as root

@deank may have more to say about this.

I hope this helps.

You're welcome.

Thanked by 1panthera666
  • @rcxb said:

@Falzo said:

This will fail ("cp: dest is not a directory") if the grep matches more than one file. You need to use xargs -L1.

also true... see that happens if you just focus on one part of a statement...

I'd rather use something like find -exec grep + | xargs -0 cp than direct grep anyway - or maybe rsync? ;-)

Thanked by 1panthera666
  • I solved. Thank you all.

• good! grats on solving your issue ;-)
    now would be the perfect time to post your solution, so others can learn from it as well...

• JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited January 2020

@panthera666 said:
    I solved. Thank you all.

Having your webroot in /root is not a good idea.

Place, chown and chmod accordingly.