Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Smallweb - Dev NULL :( - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Smallweb - Dev NULL :(

2»

Comments

• The most important take away here is that if the provider didn't even notice the backups were not happening in one location then they are not even being tested in any other location so assume they don't exist at all.

For users of other locations I posted in my follow up regarding this. Some but disappointingly not all locations were tested. After these unfortunate events, all remaining locations have now been tested and backups have been verified and increased efforts will be put into improving how I retain backups and how I communicate my backup policies with customers.

• uptimeuptime Member
    edited January 2020

@mansoor - ackshually ... I think MyW.pt uses ReliableSite in Los Angeles (cf @sanvit's offer)

Might also suggest considering smallweb's Melbourne location as an alternative to Los Angeles (ie, for customers in Asia) - and/or NYC (for customers in the Americas or Europe)

I do like LA though.

• seriesnseriesn Member
    edited January 2020

@Mic-hael my man,
    Shit happens. There is no such thing as a fail and full proof solution. We live and learn right?

But while you did offer the refund, I wouldn't have discontinued the location itself due to this. You might and will still have customers because well, most of your customers are extremely happy with the value they are getting with your service.

In situations like data loss, it is nerve wracking from a providers perspective.

Totally not telling you how to run your business. But I would have done thes followings if I were in your position:

1) Refund to those who asks
    2) Service credit (per your SLA) and maybe some extra to those who decides to stay and rebuild the location.

Otherwise it feels a bit off for me.

You are already a member of my family my good man. If you need any help bro, or a new home, I am just a message away :)

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@sanvit said:

@vpsGOD said:
    closing down location dont justify the reason of data loss

better try to offer service on same location. user may got service for the loc not for the Price.

Here's a deal,

I'll provide 1 year of free web hosting for those who were affected by this incident.

I'm not a provider, and this is all done out of my pocket as a courtesy, utilizing some of my idling resellers.

Specs will be 1GB of storage and 100GB of BW, with unlimited specs (please use it reasonably) and without any kind of guarantee or backup (at least officially). They all include MailChannels, but these are not to be used as alternative to other email services (use MXroute for that).

You can choose between 3 locations (LA and DE hosted by MyW, and LAS hosted by BuyShared).

If you're interested, PM me with a screenshot with some kind of proof of service.

I have upgraded both of your lifetime reseller accounts to the double of diskspace free of charge so you can help our forum members.

• Everyone that provides any form of services, whether that’s hosting or something else has a learning curve and mistakes happen. It’s called life. The most important point for any business is to acknowledge what’s happened, inform clients what the business has done to rectify the issue and ensure they have put processes in place to ensure it doesn’t happen again.

To be fair having read the thread here and on LES including the follow ups from @Mic-hael, I would say he has.

Thanked by 2MichaelCee Ympker
  • XiNiXXiNiX Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2020

@Mic-hael said:
    Thank you everybody for your kind words and comments.

I posted a follow up describing the incident on my Twitter. I am in the process of communicating with customers for their intentions. A marginal amount including users at LET have urged for the location to be rebuilt. Originally this was not my intention because I felt a refund was owed for the data loss but it is an option I will be going over today.

Thats really good to hear Michael ! We all have seen much worse situations, and sadly they do take place despite our best efforts.

Thanked by 1MichaelCee
  • MichaelCeeMichaelCee Barred
    edited January 2020

Contrary to my prior decision, the server for LAX has been rebuilt from scratch and is being configured for production use. Users who were not already refunded, marked cancelled or transferred to another location: you will receive details of a new service in LAX.

Users who have already received a refund or have transferred please expect individual communication from me to try and work with your needs.

The loss of this data is a huge hit and I cannot apologise enough to those affected. If you do not wish to continue using our service I still offer a full refund.

Thanked by 3uptime MikePT sanvit
  • deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited January 2020

What moar do you want from him? Want him to strip down naked and dance on a street?
    Is it Trump's fault? Or Brexit's?

He apologized and offered full refund. What moar do ya all want from him?
    Let it go.

Well, if you do want him to strip down naked and dance on a street, leave a like.

Thanked by 2MichaelCee tester4
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

If the loss of data, brings you to anger, make backups.
    Backups bring peace to worlds and galaxies.

Thanked by 2uptime yoursunny
  • I think @Mic-hael handled it properly. Last night, I migrated my websites to a new server. All fine, I was very happy. But I was sleepy and clicked one wrong button. I had to restart again from scratch and work till 6 in the morning. Human mistakes happen. The key is to make good backups.

If you are a smart customer, you make your own backups and don't rely on backups from your hosting providers.

Thanked by 1MichaelCee
  • MichaelCeeMichaelCee Barred
    edited January 2020

The support has been overwhelming. After debating my logic flaws on closing the location and after many requests from customers the server has now been rebuilt and configured. I have reprovisioned 99% of LAX services bar those who have been refunded or transferred already. Those individuals will be contacted seperately. There is no obligation for users to continue and refunds are still being offered.

• @deank said:
    What moar do you want from him? Want him to strip down naked and dance on a street?
    Is it Trump's fault? Or Brexit's?

He apologized and offered full refund. What moar do ya all want from him?
    Let it go.

Well, if you do want him to strip down naked and dance on a street, leave a like.

His soul.

• @deank said:

Only if it's my street. wink

• Interesting to read replies from all over the world with varying opinions. This is what makes the world a wonderful place.

"O mankind! We created you from a single (pair) of a male and a female, and made you into nations and tribes, that ye may know each other (not that ye may despise (each other)" - Quran (49:13)

As for those saying "You get what you pay for" - well, that is just a cliche. You should get what you were told you were going to get. Now of course stuff happens, which happened in this case and the backup was not usable. Working in IT I have seen corporate system tank and the backups were found to be useless. Stuff happens!

I learnt my lesson three years ago with Hudson Valley Host when they lost all my sites. Since then I am very meticulous about taking my own backups on a separate server at least twice a month. In this case, I am out 2 weeks of works so not so bad, just sucks!

• @mansoor said:
    Interesting to read replies from all over the world with varying opinions. This is what makes the world a wonderful place.

"O mankind! We created you from a single (pair) of a male and a female, and made you into nations and tribes, that ye may know each other (not that ye may despise (each other)" - Quran (49:13)

As for those saying "You get what you pay for" - well, that is just a cliche. You should get what you were told you were going to get. Now of course stuff happens, which happened in this case and the backup was not usable. Working in IT I have seen corporate system tank and the backups were found to be useless. Stuff happens!

I learnt my lesson three years ago with Hudson Valley Host when they lost all my sites. Since then I am very meticulous about taking my own backups on a separate server at least twice a month. In this case, I am out 2 weeks of works so not so bad, just sucks!

While I have responded to many comments in this thread I never directly responded to you. @mansoor I am extremely sorry that my actions in this matter caused you to lose two weeks of updated data. When you signed up for SmallWeb, this should never have been an option. This is one of my biggest regrets during my time as/at this company and if I were the end user I would be extremely dissatisfied. If there is anything I can do to help you in any way possible, please do reach out to me.

• Smallweb stays on The Whitelist. That's my endorsement based on a reasonable assessment of the issue and its handling.

However, it is a good time to take stock of everything, (not just technical) because the next issue may not be met with such warm reception, depending on the nature of the issue (fried switches are understandable).

Thanked by 1bikegremlin
  • This thread is boring, where is everyone and their pitchforks? Holidays are over people!

• vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited January 2020

LA service is back.

@tester4 said:
    This thread is boring, where is everyone and their pitchforks? Holidays are over people!

• @tester4 said:
    where is everyone and their pitchforks

I dunno, maybe @Mic-hael is special?

Thanked by 2vyas11 Janevski
  • By the way, it sucks, but you can't change the past. To me @Mic-hael (and his team) is doing his best, and not hiding being tiny prints or TOS. So it's good.

• Thanks @Mic-hael for the personalized apology. Really appreciated it.

Just one suggestion, in the future when doing a major OS reload or a server upgrade, etc, email the customer(s) before hand and give them an opportunity to take backups on their end if they want to. This will help alleviate some of the responsibility on you.

Cheers.

Thanked by 1MichaelCee
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

@tester4 said:
    This thread is boring, where is everyone and their pitchforks? Holidays are over people!

A lot left LET.