Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ARIN Blocks Cogent’s Access to the ARIN WHOIS Service
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ARIN Blocks Cogent’s Access to the ARIN WHOIS Service

Host4GeeksHost4Geeks Member, Host Rep

Well at least some good news and hopefully this will deter some of the Cogent Sales staffs and partner networks to stop spamming new ARIN members both new and old.

ARIN has blocked Cogent’s access to the ARIN WHOIS service for a period of six months.

https://www.arin.net/vault/about_us/corp_docs/20200106_whois_tos_violation.pdf

They do also mention,

“Given the otherwise general availability of ARIN Whois, it is quite possible that Cogent personnel may evade the suspension via various means and continue their solicitation.  If that does occur, please inform us (via mailto:[email protected]), as ARIN is prepared to extend the suspension and/or bring appropriate legal action.”

Comments

• Calling this news “good” is same as saying Russia blocking chat messengers is good news. However, ARIN is known for their random idiotic actions like this one, that's why I prefer RIPE.

Thanked by 1AMXRT
  • vserversitevserversite Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2020

👍🤠 Ripe should do same, Cogent called all New ASN more than one time, likes stalking..

• hzrhzr Member

vserversite said: 👍🤠 Ripe should do same, Cogent called all New ASN more than one time, likes stalking..

Happy new year

My role as a Global Account Manager is to approach organisations such as yourselves, to help understand why you aren’t directly connected to Cogent and to discuss any potential opportunities to work together. Can we arrange a time to have a quick call? Cogent (AS174) is a multinational Tier 1 IP service provider

• It's easily evaded, but hopefully shines enough negative light on Cogent that they're forced to change their spammy tactics.

• servarica_haniservarica_hani Member, Patron Provider

What about their network
    anyone has experience with them

they contacted us and gave us very good prices but not sure how their network now
    last i tried them was few years ago

• I am located in Romania , the idiots is call me in the night every day , finnaly the contact number was change to avoid this ...

Thanked by 2dedimark pike
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@cociu said:
    I am located in Romania , the idiots is call me in the night every day , finnaly the contact number was change to avoid this ...

Call them back at night, easy.

• Host4GeeksHost4Geeks Member, Host Rep

@servarica_hani said:
    What about their network
    anyone has experience with them

they contacted us and gave us very good prices but not sure how their network now
    last i tried them was few years ago

It is a hit or miss depending on where you are located. They are good if you are multi-homed and for the price, you cannot really a complaint. One aspect that both Cogent and HE, two of the cheapest transit providers, ais both are very good at support. Speaking to a staff who actually knows what they are talking about is extremely easy and they are very responsive.

• boerndboernd Member
    edited January 2020

@cociu said:
    I am located in Romania , the idiots is call me in the night every day , finnaly the contact number was change to avoid this ...

https://bgp.he.net/AS44220#_peers
    Well it can't hurt to connect with them as it seems you are single homed with T-Mobile(?)

• @goodwin said:
    Calling this news “good” is same as saying Russia blocking chat messengers is good news. However, ARIN is known for their random idiotic actions like this one, that's why I prefer RIPE.

Now enlighten me -- why is this a bad thing?

• boernd said: Well it can't hurt to connect with them as it seems you are single homed with T-Mobile(?)

we are multihommed and this was discused before , right now we have here 4 different upstreams.

Thanked by 1pike
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@cociu said:

boernd said: Well it can't hurt to connect with them as it seems you are single homed with T-Mobile(?)

we are multihommed and this was discused before , right now we have here 4 different upstreams.

You’ve been saying you have 4 different networks you connect people to. If they are separate then that’s not multi homing

Thanked by 1Unixfy
  • doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited January 2020

Damn lol

I still get spam calls from Cogent (my ASN is from APNIC)...

EDIT: Worst part is that they mask their caller ID as “COGENT” ._.

• @Clouvider said:

@cociu said:

boernd said: Well it can't hurt to connect with them as it seems you are single homed with T-Mobile(?)

You’ve been saying you have 4 different networks you connect people to. If they are separate then that’s not multi homing

Silly question. Why isn't it?

edited January 2020

@TimboJones said:

@Clouvider said:

@cociu said:

Well, for starters, because these are 4 separate networks and not one multi-homed one, as evidenced by the BGP tables, at least for inbound but probably outbound as well given offers made on LET.

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • @TimboJones AFAIK, if a network is multihomed, it has multiple upstreams for the network. In this case, cociu has multiple upstreams, but all the upstreams are in separate networks, thus it's not truly redundant (since manual work would be required if an upstream goes down). I might be wrong, but that's how I understood Clouvider's comment.

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • cociucociu Member
    edited January 2020

AC_Fan said: thus it's not truly redundant (since manual work would be required if an upstream goes down).

i will negate this sorry , i will not do explications due of my brother @Clouvider is verry courious how is made but i can guarantee the network is fully redundant in the last years.

For LET people for the moment we use gts and backup UPC , this meean all traffic is go tru gts and in case is faill is switch automatically in upc (liberty global) .

What’s the ASN this works under?

• Clouvider said: What’s the ASN this works under?

I remember that this was already asked some time ago. Then he said he wouldn't make this public to protect his high revenue business :smiley:

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

Although this thread is getting slightly off topic, I do not think @cociu's BGP routing is yet fully configured for proper multi-homing.

All outbound traffic is currently routed only via GTS, keeping UPC/LibertyGlobal only as passive standby.
    This for example means that when trying to reach destinations in LIbertyGlobal network they are going via GTS and Level3 to LibertyGlobal although there is a direct (unused) LibertyGlobal fiber connection.
    I hope the network and routing is still going to be improved.

traceroute to 5.10.48.1 (5.10.48.1), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
     1  10.13.14.1 (10.13.14.1)  0.354 ms  0.348 ms  0.400 ms
     2  212.146.102.237 (212.146.102.237)  7.746 ms  7.737 ms  7.723 ms
     3  85.9.52.49 (85.9.52.49)  37.549 ms  37.562 ms  37.609 ms
     4  193.85.195.49 (193.85.195.49)  39.750 ms  39.757 ms  39.748 ms
     5  ae-2.fra2027-ex1.gtsce.net (193.85.195.94)  37.009 ms  37.017 ms  37.007 ms
     6  195.122.181.221 (195.122.181.221)  36.813 ms  36.864 ms  36.856 ms
     7  ae-2-3203.ear3.Frankfurt1.Level3.net (4.69.163.90)  36.994 ms  37.034 ms  37.026 ms
     8  LibertyGlobal-level3-400G.Frankfurt1.Level3.net (4.68.72.98)  31.341 ms  31.359 ms  31.353 ms
     9  de-fra01b-rc1-ae-5-0.aorta.net (84.116.133.114)  33.622 ms  33.628 ms  33.441 ms
    10  84.116.191.130 (84.116.191.130)  33.411 ms  33.378 ms  33.468 ms

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • @Clouvider said:

@TimboJones said:

@Clouvider said:

@cociu said:

Well, for starters, because these are 4 separate networks and not one multi-homed one, as evidenced by the BGP tables, at least for inbound but probably outbound as well given offers made on LET.

This sounds like a terminology issue (upstream multihoming?), since he does meet this Wikipedia definition:

Multihoming is the practice of connecting a host or a computer network to more than one network. This can be done in order to increase reliability or performance.

A typical host or end-user network is connected to just one network. In many circumstances, it can be useful to connect a host or network to multiple networks, in order to increase reliability (if a single link fails, packets can still be routed through the remaining networks) and to improve performance (depending on the destination, it may be more efficient to route through one network or the other).> @AC_Fan said:
    @TimboJones AFAIK, if a network is multihomed, it has multiple upstreams for the network. In this case, cociu has multiple upstreams, but all the upstreams are in separate networks, thus it's not truly redundant (since manual work would be required if an upstream goes down). I might be wrong, but that's how I understood Clouvider's comment.

I don't think manual or automated failover matters, just the actual physical connections.

"cociu has multiple upstreams, but all the upstreams are in separate networks, thus it's not truly redundant"

That doesn't compute. If all the upstreams used the same network, that's by definition, not redundant. If they used different networks, meaning one goes down and others continue to work, is redundancy.

• @TimboJones By separate networks, I meant that cociu has multiple ASNs (so one ASN per upstream, I believe). Multihoming means all upstreams are on one ASN.
    Thus, if you consider in a single ASN (which is what is usually considered), it's not multihomed, since that ASN will have only one upstream, but if you consider all ASNs together, then an argument can be made that it is multihomed (assuming you're only concerned with redundancy, since as pointed out by dfroe, direct connection to X upstream, if you're on Y upstream, will go from Y->X, even if a direct Y->Y connection is possible). Hope that makes sense?

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

I wonder if they just blocked the IPs of Cogent Communications, or if they also blocked PSINet, AGIS, NetRail, or any of the other acquisitions that held legacy resources.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@qps said:
    I wonder if they just blocked the IPs of Cogent Communications, or if they also blocked PSINet, AGIS, NetRail, or any of the other acquisitions that held legacy resources.

I would think PSINet would go, that's an entire /8.

Francisco

• @AC_Fan said:
    @TimboJones By separate networks, I meant that cociu has multiple ASNs (so one ASN per upstream, I believe). Multihoming means all upstreams are on one ASN.
    Thus, if you consider in a single ASN (which is what is usually considered), it's not multihomed, since that ASN will have only one upstream, but if you consider all ASNs together, then an argument can be made that it is multihomed (assuming you're only concerned with redundancy, since as pointed out by dfroe, direct connection to X upstream, if you're on Y upstream, will go from Y->X, even if a direct Y->Y connection is possible). Hope that makes sense?

Thanks, yeah, the ASN gives me context for why it's not multihomed but had other "redundancy".

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

Has not stopped them emailing. Got my monthly email today.

"Who should I talk to at XB4 about Virtual Servers and Telecom please?"

Yes the misspelt my 3 character company name.

Thanked by 1joepie91
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@SplitIce said:
    Has not stopped them emailing. Got my monthly email today.

"Who should I talk to at XB4 about Virtual Servers and Telecom please?"

Yes the misspelt my 3 character company name.

Well you're Australian and they're north american. It makes sense that its upside down.

Francisco

Thanked by 1SplitIce