Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Windows 7 End Of Life 14/1/20 - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Windows 7 End Of Life 14/1/20

2»

Comments

• @TimboJones said:

@cirrus_cloud said:

@angstrom said:

@farsighter said:

@angstrom said:
    Can one upgrade for free from Windows 7 to Windows 10?

I thought that this was true for a period of time a couple of years ago but that the free upgrade was no longer available.

The free upgrade is still available (just not through the GWX tool).
    https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-how-you-can-still-get-a-free-windows-10-upgrade/

Ah, good to know, thanks

(I myself don't use Windows, but I know a number of people who do, so this is good to know)

You can get a key on eBay for Windows 10 or Office for cheap. They're OEM keys so you might have to get a new one if the hardware changes too much.

They are not oem keys, but msdn and other "testing only intended" keys (volume license based).

Actually yes, they are oem keys.

• @yokowasis said:

@TimboJones said:

@cirrus_cloud said:

@angstrom said:

@farsighter said:

@angstrom said:
    Can one upgrade for free from Windows 7 to Windows 10?

I thought that this was true for a period of time a couple of years ago but that the free upgrade was no longer available.

The free upgrade is still available (just not through the GWX tool).
    https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-how-you-can-still-get-a-free-windows-10-upgrade/

Ah, good to know, thanks

(I myself don't use Windows, but I know a number of people who do, so this is good to know)

You can get a key on eBay for Windows 10 or Office for cheap. They're OEM keys so you might have to get a new one if the hardware changes too much.

They are not oem keys, but msdn and other "testing only intended" keys (volume license based).

Actually yes, they are oem keys.

No, the $5 ones are not.

• SSDBlazeSSDBlaze Member, Host Rep

Windows 7 is by far my favorite, I have a desktop that I upgraded to win 10 some time ago and reverted it after a week

Windows 7 just feels so lightweight compared to 10, and lets not even discuss windows 8, what a abomination imo

I'll be upgrading to 10 it looks like though

• farsighterfarsighter Member
    edited January 2020

Some recent articles:
    Am I Screwed If I Don't Upgrade Windows 7 by January 15?
    https://lifehacker.com/am-i-screwed-if-i-dont-upgrade-windows-7-by-january-15-1840903120

Quickly Upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10 for Free With This PowerShell Script
    https://lifehacker.com/quickly-upgrade-windows-7-to-windows-10-for-free-with-t-1840843214

Windows 7 Support Ends Next Week, But Google Not Yet Ready To Pull Plug On Chrome Compatibility
    https://hothardware.com/news/windows-7-support-ends-next-week-google-chrome-compatibility

• emgemg Veteran
    edited January 2020

For customers and friends:

• I sent out several email messages over the year warning them about the upcoming date. I sent another warning message this morning.
    • I warned them that Microsoft will not provide future security patches for their Windows 7, Windows Server 2008, and Windows Server 2008 R2 systems after January 2020. Future security vulnerabilities will never get fixes.
    • I warned them that roughly 1/3 of future Microsoft patches will also apply to unfixed security vulnerabilities in their Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 and older systems. Attackers will quickly analyze the patches, develop exploits, and scan the internet for older Windows systems to attack. They are easy targets.
    • I urged them to upgrade to supported versions of Windows and gave them helpful links.

For myself:

• All of my Windows systems (desktops and servers) are virtual.
    • I copied a Windows 7 VM and upgraded it to Windows 10 about 3 years ago.
    • That Windows 10 VM replaced the Windows 7 VM as my primary personal Windows computer in July 2018. I run most applications on other operating systems, but sometimes you have to use Windows.
    • I keep all Windows systems fully updated, at least to the extent that Microsoft supports them.
    • I continue to run unsupported Windows systems (XP, Vista, Windows Server 2003, etc.) on rare occasions as needed. I use them for testing and compatibility. I almost never connect them to the internet, and then only under controlled circumstances. I may use the network to restrict the connection. More often, I use snapshots and revert them after the connection.
    Thanked by 2farsighter maverickp
  • emgemg Veteran

P.S. ... and 99% of them will ignore the free expert advice that they received.

Recent Example:

About six weeks ago, a sibling had their network-attached disk drive fail, so they were running without automatic hourly backups. I advised them to connect a cheap USB hard drive to their computer and run the backups on it until they found another network solution. It is a one click setup that works with any external drive; easy peasy.

About two weeks ago, I burned an entire day providing remote assistance to that sibling so they could rescue their data from a newly failed hard drive on the personal computer. They never connected the USB hard drive to maintain the automatic hourly backups.

I know how much my sibling appreciates the time and effort it took to recover their data. I doubt they understand how much MORE difficult it was or how much MORE of my time and effort were required because they did not heed my earlier advice to attach a backup drive.

Sorry to vent my frustration on you, but there it is.

• @emg said:
    For customers and friends:

• I sent out several email messages over the year warning them about the upcoming date. I sent another warning message this morning.
    • I warned them that Microsoft will not provide future security patches for their Windows 7, Windows Server 2008, and Windows Server 2008 R2 systems after January 2020. Future security vulnerabilities will never get fixes.
    • I warned them that roughly 1/3 of future Microsoft patches will also apply to unfixed security vulnerabilities in their Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 and older systems. Attackers will quickly analyze the patches, develop exploits, and scan the internet for older Windows systems to attack. They are easy targets.
    • I urged them to upgrade to supported versions of Windows and gave them helpful links.

For myself:

• All of my Windows systems (desktops and servers) are virtual.
    • I copied a Windows 7 VM and upgraded it to Windows 10 about 3 years ago.
    • That Windows 10 VM replaced the Windows 7 VM as my primary personal Windows computer in July 2018. I run most applications on other operating systems, but sometimes you have to use Windows.
    • I keep all Windows systems fully updated, at least to the extent that Microsoft supports them.
    • I continue to run unsupported Windows systems (XP, Vista, Windows Server 2003, etc.) on rare occasions as needed. I use them for testing and compatibility. I almost never connect them to the internet, and then only under controlled circumstances. I may use the network to restrict the connection. More often, I use snapshots and revert them after the connection.

Your primary desktop is a VM? Barf, that would annoy the hell out of me, let alone the loss of performance, hardware connectivity, multiple monitors, etc.

• The day has come.
    RIP Windows 7.

• DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

So rumor has it. That you can still upgrade for free. If want to go down that route. Go and get the windows downloader tool. and it will let you upgrade with that.

• In other news: Linux Mint looks great on desktops.

Thanked by 1bikegremlin
  • It is vulnerable to use windows 7 nowadays ,because their is no security updates and patches are provided by Microsoft and the last extended version is available till 14 Jan 2020.

• @cloudminister said:
    It is vulnerable to use windows 7 nowadays ,because their is no security updates and patches are provided by Microsoft and the last extended version is available till 14 Jan 2020.

Congrats on your sixth comment

Thanked by 1Electr0man