Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How can I offer email address to public?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How can I offer email address to public?

Hello,
I have a good domain name (ccTLD of my country) and I want to offer people to create free email address.
There was a nice service for that named Live Domains from Microsoft where users could sign-up with your @domain.com, but it's down for couple years now. The another free solution is Yandex Connect but it's not friendly to my country where I want to offer this service.
What can I do else? Any suggestions?

Comments

• Contact @jarland
    But u need to spend $$$per month anyway

• amadex1337amadex1337 Member
    edited January 2020

I would like to take MxRoute but I'm scared if a user makes spam, that they don't suspend entire my service (and other users)... then I would be in problems.

Thanked by 1FrequentNetworks
  • pikepike Veteran

It's simple, free e-mail attracts spammers, spamming gets IPs blacklisted, VPS hosts don't like their IPs getting blacklisted. So, don't offer free e-mail service unless you can handle all the issues that will appear sooner or later.

Thanked by 2DP taubin
  • What @pike said. You're asking for trouble with a free email service. At a minimum, make them jump through a hoop to sign-up (fill out a survey, complete an offer or some other task) and limit it to web access; otherwise you're asking for trouble.

A lot of hosting companies don't allow email services at all, so if you set up a self-hosted solution make sure that you read your vendors AUP and have one of your own. You don't want to loose everything you build just because a few users abused your system and then your host decides terminate your account without notice.

Stay safe and use protection!

• BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

• bring your as number + ips and make what you want.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy
    edited January 2020

@cociu said:
    bring your as number + ips and make what you want.

Then he’ll know what that entails 😂 Providing such a service to the general public for free.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I had a reply typed out but I reconsidered on this point:

soviet said: I want to offer people to create free email address

I probably would remove the whole thing after endless spam events all originating from the same domain.

• I've catched this nice domain, maybe I will use Yandex Connect (as I don't know for other solution).

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

soviet said: I would like to take MxRoute but I'm scared if a user makes spam, that they don't suspend entire my service (and other users)... then I would be in problems.

But that's the whole thing with mail. It's all about spam and IP reputation.

Either you're going to use a service like mxroute, in which case you will be dropped if there's spam, or you're going to host the mail servers yourself, in which case you'll be spending time keeping them off blacklists.

Something much safer would be to offer people "disposable" email addresses, like mailinator, where you are receiving emails only. I use them all the time when I need to sign up for something but don't want the marketing emails.

Thanked by 1Chronic
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate
    1. Sign up for G Suite for Business.
    2. Make a website to allow sign-ups. The backend creates account on G Suite via their API.
    3. Get $6000 somehow, to pay the G Suite bill that is $6000 per month for 1000 users.
    4. Shutdown the service when you run out of money.

I have free accounts on both Live Domains (created 2007) and G Suite (created 2009). You are late to the party.

• setting up forwarding for them via improvmx.com

• You could run one of those disposable e-mail services... It would allow you to utilize your domain for e-mail purposes, without the hassle of outbound spam.

• @jar, can customer can pay extra for an dedicated IP? Does it help to isolate that customer?

• how about get your own ips then, no matter how dirty it is still your own anyways

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@greattomeetyou said:
    @jar, can customer can pay extra for an dedicated IP? Does it help to isolate that customer?

They can't. It'd be less useful than access to all ~700 of our IPs that are in rotation, and abuse within a range can still impact the rest of the range if not handled appropriately. We militantly protect IP reputation so that you're getting the best of the best for delivery.