Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH public cloud reviews
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH public cloud reviews

I couldn't find recent review on OVH Public cloud and it would be great to hear reviews from those that have used it.

The pricing is definitely very competitive but how is its performance ?.

Sadly its not available in the USA yet

Comments

• stanstan Member
    edited January 2020

I have a few services of theirs and let me warn you. OVH constantly shuts down your server at ANYTIME, blocks it, throws it on rescue mode with a note "Your server has been hacked. Please contact our support team for instructions on what to do next.". I went through this 3-4 times so far now with no solution except to reinstall and I am sick of it. I am planning to back to turnkey internet. I never had issues there. My old provider I used for 10 years. No issues. OVH, 1 month and I'm already ready to smack somebody there.

• hzrhzr Member

stan said: I have a few services of theirs and let me warn you. OVH constantly shuts down your server at ANYTIME, blocks it, throws it on rescue mode with a note "Your server has been hacked. Please contact our support team for instructions on what to do next.". I went through this 3-4 times so far now with no solution except to reinstall and I am sick of it. I am planning to back to turnkey internet. I never had issues there. My old provider I used for 10 years. No issues. OVH, 1 month and I'm already ready to smack somebody there.

I have not experienced this even ONE time, and I have dozens of servers...

Thanked by 1isixhost
  • ManishPantManishPant Member, Host Rep

@stan said:
    I have a few services of theirs and let me warn you. OVH constantly shuts down your server at ANYTIME, blocks it, throws it on rescue mode with a note "Your server has been hacked. Please contact our support team for instructions on what to do next.". I went through this 3-4 times so far now with no solution except to reinstall and I am sick of it. I am planning to back to turnkey internet. I never had issues there. My old provider I used for 10 years. No issues. OVH, 1 month and I'm already ready to smack somebody there.

Is this review for OVH Cloud only , because i have been using there VPS and Dedicated servers from past 3 years and i have never faced this type of issue on any of my servers.

• @stan said:

Seems like something on your end? Leaving your windows open during a rain storm?

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@stan said:

It sounds like luck of system administration, did you expected full managed service for a price of self managed?

• I'd avoid their Oregon location. It seems to want to route all the traffic through its other locations (like Virginia) before its destination. So a ping from Seattle to Oregon is like 60ms.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 2020

From my experience, the public cloud is reliable and perfectly fine. Drive performance isn't great but essentially every large public cloud provider is pretty poor on IO.

Stick with their older established locations like France and Beauharnois. The newer locations from the past 1-2 years still have poor routing to some places that they refuse to fix.

Thanked by 1khav
  • DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@MikeA said:
    From my experience, the public cloud is reliable and perfectly fine. Drive performance isn't great but essentially every large public cloud provider is pretty poor on IO.

Stick with their older established locations like France and Beauharnois. The newer locations from the past 1-2 years still have poor routing to some places that they refuse to fix.

Singapore seems to be fine too.

I currently have one and have been using it for almost a year now without any issues.

• @CyberneticTitan said:
    I'd avoid their Oregon location. It seems to want to route all the traffic through its other locations (like Virginia) before its destination. So a ping from Seattle to Oregon is like 60ms.

LOL, I got 140 ms ping to www.google.com from a VPS in their Oregon DC...

• @MikeA said:

How is the quality of the IPs and since you can buy up to 256 ips per instance , are the ips properly geolocated to the region the instance is in ?

Thanks for the valuable feedback about the routing.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@khav said:

How is the quality of the IPs and since you can buy up to 256 ips per instance , are the ips properly geolocated to the region the instance is in ?

no way to tell, it depends if the geo database you're checking against updates every week or every two years. geolocation on OVH's end is fine.

Thanked by 1khav
  • JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

whats the cloud vps like compared to the public cloud?

• @ninzo59 , @OVH_APAC

The prices for the USA instances are not shown on most ovh sites

https://www.ovh.com/world/public-cloud/prices/

Its available only on the following:

https://us.ovhcloud.com/public-cloud/prices/

If i start my cloud project on ovh.ie , can i still order US instances

• stan said: Your server has been hacked

I think it's pretty good that they detect a hack for you.

• OVH_APACOVH_APAC Member, Patron Provider

@khav said:
    @ninzo59 , @OVH_APAC

The prices for the USA instances are not shown on most ovh sites

https://www.ovh.com/world/public-cloud/prices/

Its available only on the following:

https://us.ovhcloud.com/public-cloud/prices/

If i start my cloud project on ovh.ie , can i still order US instances

Hello @khav,
    At this stage you will need to create an account on our US portal (https://us.ovhcloud.com) to use public cloud instances and storage hosted in US.
    For all other locations (Europe, Canada, Singapore, Australia), you will need an account on https://www/ovh.com
    (such as https://www.ovh.com/world/ if you'd like to pay in USD), or ovh.ie if you prefer to pay in EUR)
    Hope this helps

Adding a bench of a Public cloud server hosted in Singapore as an example.
    Model tested here is the B2-60 (form our General Purpose range)
    (OVH cloud instances have Dedicated resources at the exception of sandboxes, more info here: https://www.ovh.com/asia/public-cloud/guaranteed-resources/
    Hope this helps

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    OS           : Debian GNU/Linux 10 (64 Bit)
    Virt/Kernel  : KVM / 4.19.0-5-cloud-amd64
    CPU Model    : Intel Core Processor (Haswell, no TSX)
    CPU Cores    : 16 @ 2199.998 MHz x86_64 4096 KB Cache
    CPU Flags    : AES-NI Enabled & VM-x/AMD-V Enabled
    Load Average : 0.26, 0.15, 0.06
    Total Space  : 394G (1.2G ~1% used)
    Total RAM    : 244 MB / 58976 MB (702 MB Buff)
    Total SWAP   : 0 MB / 0 MB
    Uptime       : 0 days 0:3
    ASN & ISP    : AS16276, OVH SAS
    Organization : OVH Singapore PTE. LTD
    Location     : Singapore, Singapore / SG
    Region       :

## Geekbench v4 CPU Benchmark:

Single Core : 3211  (VERY GOOD)
       Multi Core : 32187

## IO Test

CPU Speed:
        bzip2     :  99.3 MB/s
       sha256     : 160 MB/s
       md5sum     : 463 MB/s

RAM Speed:
       Avg. write : 2116.3 MB/s
       Avg. read  : 5188.3 MB/s

Disk Speed:
       1st run    : 596 MB/s
       2nd run    : 642 MB/s
       3rd run    : 596 MB/s
       -----------------------
       Average    : 611.3 MB/s

## Global Speedtest

Location                       Upload           Download         Ping
    Speedtest.net                  29.02 Mbit/s     133.86 Mbit/s   * 255.571 ms
    Singapore (FirstMedia)         968.55 Mbit/s    976.98 Mbit/s     0.517 ms
    India, New Delhi (Airtel)      116.14 Mbit/s    127.25 Mbit/s    75.174 ms
    Japan, Tsukuba (SoftEther)     12.68 Mbit/s     223.14 Mbit/s    68.167 ms
    USA, New York (AT&T)           20.46 Mbit/s     13.07 Mbit/s    234.728 ms
    USA, Chicago (Windstream)      63.69 Mbit/s     113.97 Mbit/s   223.919 ms
    USA, Dallas (Frontier)         62.82 Mbit/s     1.89 Mbit/s     228.846 ms
    USA, Miami (Frontier)          33.37 Mbit/s     128.18 Mbit/s   245.910 ms
    USA, Los Angeles (Spectrum)    100.10 Mbit/s    195.43 Mbit/s   184.149 ms
    UK, London (Community Fibre)   130.26 Mbit/s    250.74 Mbit/s   154.481 ms
    France, Lyon (SFR)             111.55 Mbit/s    298.95 Mbit/s   154.034 ms
    Germany, Berlin (DNS:NET)      21.82 Mbit/s     118.72 Mbit/s   249.018 ms
    Spain, Madrid (Adamo)          122.05 Mbit/s    256.69 Mbit/s   161.292 ms
    Italy, Rome (Unidata)          91.66 Mbit/s     184.03 Mbit/s   186.657 ms
    Russia, Moscow (MTS)           80.05 Mbit/s     180.06 Mbit/s   193.470 ms
    Israel, Haifa (013Netvision)   65.98 Mbit/s     72.42 Mbit/s    216.384 ms
    Australia, Sydney (Yes Optus)  59.86 Mbit/s     33.18 Mbit/s    218.218 ms
    RSA, Randburg (Cool Ideas)     13.08 Mbit/s     28.41 Mbit/s    401.466 ms
    Brazil, Sao Paulo (Criare)     13.97 Mbit/s     47.83 Mbit/s    374.069 ms

Finished in : 12 min 14 sec 

Thanked by 1isunbejo
  • I've been using it in the past it's fairly decent but performance isn't great. Most instances you'll only get 250 mbit bandwidth and I think it's pretty expensive as well especially if you pay by the hour.

I think there's more value if you just rent dedicated servers from OVH and run KVM containers on it, which is what I'm doing now (if you don't care about the management and perhaps less redundancy). You'll get your own SSDs then, latest CPUs and multi-gigabit connection.

Besides if I really want to run public cloud servers I would probably just go to AWS.

Thanked by 1khav
  • Using OVH public cloud a lot. It's great - only gripe is twice in 2 months I've had an instance in GRA become permanently unavailable. Only option is to delete + re-create, which is a little frustrating. However, they do offer SLA credit (and got some compensation) so can't complain.

10/10, recommend them.

Thanked by 1khav
  • @marvel said:
    I've been using it in the past it's fairly decent but performance isn't great. Most instances you'll only get 250 mbit bandwidth and I think it's pretty expensive as well especially if you pay by the hour.

I think there's more value if you just rent dedicated servers from OVH and run KVM containers on it, which is what I'm doing now (if you don't care about the management and perhaps less redundancy). You'll get your own SSDs then, latest CPUs and multi-gigabit connection.

Besides if I really want to run public cloud servers I would probably just go to AWS.

@danielhm said:
    Using OVH public cloud a lot. It's great - only gripe is twice in 2 months I've had an instance in GRA become permanently unavailable. Only option is to delete + re-create, which is a little frustrating. However, they do offer SLA credit (and got some compensation) so can't complain.

10/10, recommend them.

I am currently using ~1.5gbps right now (800 down/700 up) and its not even peak time.With OVH public cloud i am thinking of spreading the load among multiple instances and the price of IPs is unbeatable as well.There is also a free load balancer which will be a great plus for scaling.

The same infrastructure with dedicated servers will mean that i have to buy another 2 more dedicated servers with one as load balancers.I think that with cloud it will be easier to manage and cheaper in the long run

@OVH_APAC

Is the guaranteed network full duplex.1 Gbps guaranteed means inbound+outbound can be 1gbps max or inbound 1gbps and outbound 1gbps

@khav said:

@marvel said:
    I've been using it in the past it's fairly decent but performance isn't great. Most instances you'll only get 250 mbit bandwidth and I think it's pretty expensive as well especially if you pay by the hour.

@danielhm said:
    Using OVH public cloud a lot. It's great - only gripe is twice in 2 months I've had an instance in GRA become permanently unavailable. Only option is to delete + re-create, which is a little frustrating. However, they do offer SLA credit (and got some compensation) so can't complain.

10/10, recommend them.

I am currently using ~1.5gbps right now (800 down/700 up) and its not even peak time.With OVH public cloud i am thinking of spreading the load among multiple instances and the price of IPs is unbeatable as well.There is also a free load balancer which will be a great plus for scaling.

The same infrastructure with dedicated servers will mean that i have to buy another 2 more dedicated servers with one as load balancers.I think that with cloud it will be easier to manage and cheaper in the long run

@OVH_APAC

Is the guaranteed network full duplex.1 Gbps guaranteed means inbound+outbound can be 1gbps max or inbound 1gbps and outbound 1gbps

Hello @khav,
    I'm pretty sure the physical servers are equipped with 10Gbps full duplex network card but let me double confirm all the details with a tech expert internally and will get back to you here and confirm if any bandwidth difference between incoming/outgoing too.

Thanked by 1khav
  • @OVH_APAC said:

@khav said:

@marvel said:

@danielhm said:

10/10, recommend them.

@OVH_APAC

Hello @khav,
    I'm pretty sure the physical servers are equipped with 10Gbps full duplex network card but let me double confirm all the details with a tech expert internally and will get back to you here and confirm if any bandwidth difference between incoming/outgoing too.

@OVH_APAC Any update ?

Moreover how much burstable bandwidth do we get for ovh public cloud

• marvelmarvel Member
    edited January 2020

@khav said:

@OVH_APAC said:

@khav said:

@marvel said:

@danielhm said:

10/10, recommend them.

@OVH_APAC

Hello @khav,

@OVH_APAC Any update ?

Moreover how much burstable bandwidth do we get for ovh public cloud

There is no burst, the more expensive the instance the more bandwidth you get.

250 mbps on standard instances up to € 42 month. Then it goes up to 500 mbps for € 85 a month, 1000 mbps € 145 / month. 10 gbps € 285 / month.

You can check and see all this if you just make an account :smiley:

edited January 2020

Thank you @marvel
    @khav ,indeed no burst on Public Cloud Instances. Also according to our tech team you get a 1Gbps bandwidth (on a B2-60 cloud server for example) which is inbound+outbound.
    Hope this helps.
    more info on the various cloud servers we offer and prices here: https://www.ovh.com/asia/public-cloud/prices/ (USD)

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited January 2020

Its very competitive for running AI and neural networks. GPU servers hourly payments are low, quota is easy to increase when needed and the GPU's are dedicated unlike with some other providers where the power is shared and 1 GPU is loaded on multiple VM's.