Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Low End Windows Templates - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Low End Windows Templates

Comments

• td512td512 Member
    edited January 2020

One more. @storm, what option are you using to boot Ubuntu?

Live CD, or Linux network install?

• @NanoG6 can you try booting Eoan from the "Linux Network Installs" menu?

• @td512 said:

Live CD. Ubuntu 18.04 with Budgie, Gnome, LXDE, & Xfce. I tried creating a new instance and redownloading netboot.xyz, but still getting the kernel panic.

• @storm said:

@td512 said:

Live CD. Ubuntu 18.04 with Budgie, Gnome, LXDE, & Xfce. I tried creating a new instance and redownloading netboot.xyz, but still getting the kernel panic.

Right. That's why then. these instances only have 1GB of RAM. The Ubuntu ISOs are 2GB. Each.

Try again, this time boot via "Linux Network Installs". It should just boot. It'll kick you into the installer. activate the network, drop to a shell, then follow the OP and you should be golden

Thanked by 1storm
  • @td512 said:
    Try again, this time boot via "Linux Network Installs". It should just boot. It'll kick you into the installer. activate the network, drop to a shell, then follow the OP and you should be golden

Thanks, that was it. When you said "live installer" in the top post, I assumed you meant live CD. After the network was configured in the installer, I pressed Ctrl+Alt+F2 to get to a terminal session. Not a linux whiz, but I'm getting there. :-) I've got Server 2019 up and [slowly] running with 1GB of RAM. After they shut down my lifetime dyn.com services, I don't feel too bad about taking advantage of Oracle.

• @storm said:
    Thanks, that was it. When you said "live installer" in the top post, I assumed you meant live CD. After the network was configured in the installer, I pressed Ctrl+Alt+F2 to get to a terminal session. Not a linux whiz, but I'm getting there. :-) I've got Server 2019 up and [slowly] running with 1GB of RAM. After they shut down my lifetime dyn.com services, I don't feel too bad about taking advantage of Oracle.

Sweet! I'd recommend something older like Windows 7 - it doesn't use nearly as much RAM

• I'm stuck here:

• @NanoG6 said:
    I'm stuck here:

Try using Ubuntu 18.04 instead.

• @hiimcody1 said:

@NanoG6 said:
    I'm stuck here:

Still no luck.. The instance deployed in KR and JP..

• @NanoG6 said:

@hiimcody1 said:

@NanoG6 said:
    I'm stuck here:

Still no luck.. The instance deployed in KR and JP..

Are you using VNC or SSH for the console connection? The spacing there looks like you're using SSH

Thanked by 1NanoG6
  • Yes using SSH. Is there any difference? Will try later tonight using VNC

• @NanoG6 said:
    Yes using SSH. Is there any difference? Will try later tonight using VNC

Yeah, there is. the ubuntu installer doesn't have kernel params to enable the serial port, thus - no display. Use VNC, it works better

• Finally it works! Thank you.. By the way, there is a typo on Windows 7 image:

https://data.theom.nz/EN.WIN10.PRO.EVAL.img.gz

• td512td512 Member
    edited January 2020

@NanoG6 said:
    Finally it works! Thank you.. By the way, there is a typo on Windows 7 image:

https://data.theom.nz/EN.WIN10.PRO.EVAL.img.gz

Sorry about the delay! Taking a day or so off for my birthday. All fixed up now.

While everyone is reading this, there's a known issue with the Windows Vista (UEFI), Windows 8 and Windows 8.1images. On the UEFI Windows 8 images I forgot to enable RDP 😅

While I'm pushing out an update and getting the new CDN (courtesy of @seriesn) deployed, you need to log in and manually enable RDP.

On the Windows 8.1 images the driver setup seems to halt until you log in for the first time. This is also due to be fixed soon, and I'll push both out at the same time.

RE: Vista, TianoCore doesn't seem to play nice with Vista's UEFI implementation. If anyone has any spare time, I'd be very happy if someone could take a look and see if they can find a fix.

I hope you've all had a good year! 2020 has a lot of cool things yet to happen.

P.S. We're working on XP UEFI support 😉

• For XP, Windows 7, or server 2003, I believe people are looking for something lightweight, why dont you provide 32 bit for those images? I believe 64 bit OS use more RAM, no?

• @NanoG6 said:
    For XP, Windows 7, or server 2003, I believe people are looking for something lightweight, why dont you provide 32 bit for those images? I believe 64 bit OS use more RAM, no?

XP and Server 2003 are already 32-bit 😉

Windows 7... Maybe? I'll have a chat to cody later today

• UnixfyUnixfy Member
    edited January 2020

Seems these images do not work on AWS instances - the network drivers appear to be missing :(

• @Unixfy said:
    Seems these images do not work on AWS instances - the network drivers appear to be missing :(

AWS and GCP seem to be the exception, not the rule. That said, I'll run through image creation again, this time for AWS and GCP and then "generic clouds". How does that sound?

• td512 said: AWS and GCP seem to be the exception, not the rule. That said, I'll run through image creation again, this time for AWS and GCP and then "generic clouds". How does that sound?

That would be awesome -- looking forward.
    According to AWS these funny virtual HW is to "enable" features like VPC...etc

• is it work for hetzner cloud or dedicated?

• @LightBlade said:
    is it work for hetzner cloud or dedicated?

No idea - you could test it and report back!

• td512 said: AWS and GCP seem to be the exception, not the rule. That said, I'll run through image creation again, this time for AWS and GCP and then "generic clouds". How does that sound?

Any update on this?

• I feel concerned regarding pre-cooked, third-party OS templates...
    ...downloads Windows XP via GNU/uTorrent.

• @Janevski said:
    I feel concerned regarding pre-cooked, third-party OS templates...

Hah, I know exactly what you mean. Builds are automated and use an answer file. I'll get round to publishing it soon, still tweaking things to account for new drivers. In addition these images are built from MSDN or VLSC sources

@Unixfy said:

td512 said: AWS and GCP seem to be the exception, not the rule. That said, I'll run through image creation again, this time for AWS and GCP and then "generic clouds". How does that sound?

Any update on this?

Still working on it I'm afraid. Building these instances isn't fast, and it takes a whole lot of time haha. I'll update it all when I've time

Thanked by 2Unixfy Janevski
  • @td512 said:

@Janevski said:

Hah, I know exactly what you mean. Builds are automated and use an answer file. I'll get round to publishing it soon, still tweaking things to account for new drivers. In addition these images are built from MSDN or VLSC sources

@Unixfy said:

td512 said: AWS and GCP seem to be the exception, not the rule. That said, I'll run through image creation again, this time for AWS and GCP and then "generic clouds". How does that sound?

Any update on this?

Still working on it I'm afraid. Building these instances isn't fast, and it takes a whole lot of time haha. I'll update it all when I've time

Do you have a guide on how to build the images? I have been tinkering with using qemu as a sort of KVM for the Ec2 instance.

• @Unixfy said:

@td512 said:

@Janevski said:

@Unixfy said:

Any update on this?

Do you have a guide on how to build the images? I have been tinkering with using qemu as a sort of KVM for the Ec2 instance.

Yeah, it's quite simple really.

• Create instance
    • Convert answer file into ISO
    • Attach MSDN and answer file ISO
    • Turn VM on
    • ???
    • Profit
  • Speaking of, the CDN will be down for maintenance for around an hour today, whilst I move some servers around. Should hopefully be much quicker than that, but just in case it isn't... expect some downtime

• @td512 said:

@LightBlade said:

i'm try in hetzner cloud CX11 but it's fail, i think because disk image in 25GB and in CX11 is 20GB

• @td512 said:

@Unixfy said:

@td512 said:

@Janevski said:

@Unixfy said:

Any update on this?

Yeah, it's quite simple really.

• Create instance
    • Convert answer file into ISO
    • Attach MSDN and answer file ISO
    • Turn VM on
    • ???
    • Profit

What's the answer file?

• UnixfyUnixfy Member
    edited January 2020

@LightBlade said:

@td512 said:

@LightBlade said:

i'm try in hetzner cloud CX11 but it's fail, i think because disk image in 25GB and in CX11 is 20GB

Hetzner Cloud has a selector to mount a windows iso. Try using that and installing using ISO, it works in my testing.