Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Quick review of the FlowVPS BF 2019 VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Quick review of the FlowVPS BF 2019 VPS

Christmas Day finally came today, the FlowVPS super BF 2019 preorder special has been provisioned. For those not aware or need reminding, here's the deal:

4 vCPU
4GB RAM
15GB NVMe - Primary
100GB SSD - Secondary (Not bootable)
1.5TB Data
1 IPv4

Some extremely lucky people got this for $15AUD/qtr, and various discounts until the regular $45AUD/qtr price (or $120AUD/year) which you can still get here: https://billing.flowvps.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=28&billingcycle=annually

$10 AUD per month for those specs is insane (that's about $7 USD) and considering the fact that it's in Melbourne, Australia on an extremely nice network and a location that's suitable for Australians, this is a steal. Just based on those facts alone, this is already exothermic potassium in my books.

On to the initial benchmark:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Region: Global  https://bench.monster v.1.4.9 2019-12-24 
 Usage : curl -LsO bench.monster/speedtest.sh; bash speedtest.sh -Global

OS           : Debian GNU/Linux 9 (64 Bit)
 Virt/Kernel  : KVM / 4.9.0-6-amd64
 CPU Model    : QEMU Virtual CPU version 2.5+
 CPU Cores    : 4 @ 2599.998 MHz x86_64 16384 KB Cache
 CPU Flags    : AES-NI Disabled & VM-x/AMD-V Disabled
 Load Average : 0.14, 0.05, 0.01
 Total Space  : 113G (1020M ~1% used)
 Total RAM    : 3955 MB (46 MB + 304 MB Buff in use)
 Total SWAP   : 255 MB (0 MB in use)
 Uptime       : 0 days 0:13
 ASN & ISP    : AS136557, Host Universal Pty Ltd
 Organization : FlowVPS
 Location     : Melbourne, Australia / AU
 Region       : Victoria

Performing Geekbench v4 CPU Benchmark test. Please wait...
 ## Geekbench v4 CPU Benchmark:

Single Core : 2375  (GOOD)
   Multi Core : 8623

## IO Test

CPU Speed:
    bzip2     :  79.5 MB/s
   sha256     : 150 MB/s
   md5sum     : 397 MB/s

RAM Speed:
   Avg. write : 1464.4 MB/s
   Avg. read  : 3857.1 MB/s

Disk Speed:
   1st run    : 445 MB/s
   2nd run    : 436 MB/s
   3rd run    : 368 MB/s
   -----------------------
   Average    : 416.3 MB/s

## Global Speedtest

Location                       Upload           Download         Ping   
 Speedtest.net                  909.58 Mbit/s    936.92 Mbit/s    1.764 ms
 USA, New York (AT&T)           22.32 Mbit/s     16.03 Mbit/s    211.567 ms
 USA, Chicago (Windstream)      30.53 Mbit/s     99.00 Mbit/s    235.874 ms
 USA, Dallas (Frontier)         47.90 Mbit/s     87.48 Mbit/s    234.247 ms
 USA, Miami (Frontier)          67.58 Mbit/s     113.34 Mbit/s   209.820 ms
 USA, Los Angeles (Spectrum)    67.37 Mbit/s     134.28 Mbit/s   228.332 ms
 UK, London (Community Fibre)   11.81 Mbit/s     69.93 Mbit/s    288.074 ms
 France, Lyon (SFR)             18.50 Mbit/s     45.81 Mbit/s    298.372 ms
 Germany, Berlin (DNS:NET)      19.98 Mbit/s     49.83 Mbit/s    293.129 ms
 Spain, Madrid (MasMovil)       14.36 Mbit/s     49.04 Mbit/s    288.049 ms
 Italy, Rome (Unidata)          18.68 Mbit/s     49.62 Mbit/s    275.746 ms
 Russia, Moscow (MTS)           17.13 Mbit/s     42.69 Mbit/s    330.809 ms
 Israel, Haifa (013Netvision)   15.31 Mbit/s     35.96 Mbit/s    352.838 ms
 India, New Delhi (GIGATEL)     111.37 Mbit/s    300.88 Mbit/s   162.172 ms
 Singapore (FirstMedia)         180.25 Mbit/s    164.40 Mbit/s    82.545 ms
 Japan, Tsukuba (SoftEther)     22.34 Mbit/s     64.39 Mbit/s    244.249 ms
 Australia, Sydney (Yes Optus)  683.76 Mbit/s    797.53 Mbit/s    12.575 ms
 RSA, Randburg (Cool Ideas)     8.16 Mbit/s      12.11 Mbit/s    451.473 ms
 Brazil, Sao Paulo (Criare)     12.64 Mbit/s     28.84 Mbit/s    328.557 ms

Finished in : 12 min 10 sec
 Timestamp   : 2019-12-31 07:01:08 GMT
 Saved in    : /root/speedtest.log

Share results:
 - http://www.speedtest.net/result/8902506887.png
 - https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/15089465
 - https://clbin.com/RkoAD

Sweeeeeet! I love the network. Anyone in Australia understands how shitty the overseas connections can be, but this is a very decent indicator of the best possible speeds that are possible to the tested locations. Singapore in particular is excellent, I think there must be some very premium routing to get that through Perth instead of the long way around.

If you're in SGP, this is an amazing choice for you to locate your servers.

I'm going to use this as a small Plex VPS, hooked up to an unlimited google drive account, and set up rclone cache on the secondary drive. The goal would be to have a fine tuned Plex instance that my family can use, while being mindful of the shared resources (CPU and Network)

The first thing you will need to do after logging into your VPS is to set up the secondary disk. Use your favourite tool to do that, I just used fdisk and mkfs.ext4 and an entry in fstab. If that went above your head, I'll follow up in this thread with a step by step, so please let me know if that would help.

I do plan to document my usage of this VPS, since it's quite unique to me in the location, network, premium FlowVPS and insane price, and hopefully someone can benefit from my experiences.

If anyone can find a 4 vCPU/4GB RAM/115GB of SSD and 1.5TB of data in Melbourne for $10 AUD I'll eat my shorts. Even $20 would be pushing it. A bargain at twice the price.

I suggest to anyone who missed this, or who is savvy enough to recognize a good deal to buy this while you still can. The provider is premium, the network is premium, the offer is premium and the price is insanely cheap. Worst case and I give up on Plex, I'll still keep it idling forever ;)

Comments

• I too use FlowVPS and have grown to be friends with trewq over the past year or so. The support you receive is personal, he cares if something is wrong and will try and fix it for you.

If you need a good AU VPS at a good price, this is your place.

Thanked by 2dahartigan trewq
  • @dahartigan said:
    Christmas Day finally came today, the FlowVPS super BF 2019 preorder special has been provisioned. For those not aware or need reminding, here's the deal:

4 vCPU
    4GB RAM
    15GB NVMe - Primary
    100GB SSD - Secondary (Not bootable)
    1.5TB Data
    1 IPv4

Some extremely lucky people got this for $15AUD/qtr

Yup, I'm so lucky.

@dahartigan said:

$10 AUD per month for those specs is insane (that's about $7 USD) and considering the fact that it's in Melbourne, Australia on an extremely nice network and a location that's suitable for Australians, this is a steal. Just based on those facts alone, this is already exothermic potassium in my books.
    The provider is premium, the network is premium, the offer is premium and the price is insanely cheap.

Absolutely true!

• @trewq is sooooo friendly, his support is top notch! I submited a ticket to ask for his recommendation and set it in low priority because I know it's new year holiday, everyone is busy atm. BUT, I got my ticket solved in few minutes!

VPS is running smoothly, network is prem, support is top notch!

I will setup Plex server on this VPS (never used Plex before). @dahartigan do you have idea to use Onedrive 1TB account with Plex since I dont have Unlimited Gdrive :D

• @sonic said:
    @trewq is sooooo friendly, his support is top notch! I submited a ticket to ask for his recommendation and set it in low priority because I know it's new year holiday, everyone is busy atm. BUT, I got my ticket solved in few minutes!

I will setup Plex server on this VPS (never used Plex before). @dahartigan do you have idea to use Onedrive 1TB account with Plex since I dont have Unlimited Gdrive :D

If rclone supports onedrive then it should work :-) It basically mounts cloud storage as a directory, for example /mnt/onedrive and then you point plex to that "folder".

100% agreed with everyone about the support, he really does work hard to have great customer service with a personal touch.

• Wow! Nice network for asia.

Thanked by 1trewq
  • @dahartigan said:

@sonic said:
    @trewq is sooooo friendly, his support is top notch! I submited a ticket to ask for his recommendation and set it in low priority because I know it's new year holiday, everyone is busy atm. BUT, I got my ticket solved in few minutes!

If rclone supports onedrive then it should work :-) It basically mounts cloud storage as a directory, for example /mnt/onedrive and then you point plex to that "folder".

100% agreed with everyone about the support, he really does work hard to have great customer service with a personal touch.

It looks like it’s supported https://rclone.org/onedrive/
    Do you have guide to setup and optimize Plex server or just apt install and mount.

• That was quick! Plan to set up my VPS tonight.

Thanked by 1trewq
  • @sonic said:

@dahartigan said:

@sonic said:

It looks like it’s supported https://rclone.org/onedrive/
    Do you have guide to setup and optimize Plex server or just apt install and mount.

My advice would be to install rclone first, then set up onedrive with it. Once you're comfortable with that, install Plex, then after that combine them. Baby steps :-)

I don't have a guide ready to go, but it's something I will write up and post here when I get the chance.

As for optimizing Plex, the biggest impact comes from transcoding - if your clients can direct play, you can in most cases force it. If transcoding is needed (which is normal) then limiting the source files to lower bitrates/qualities can help, after that it's fine tuning.

If you can get rclone set up and install plex, the rest will come as needed. I honestly hope that helps you :-)

Thanked by 1sonic
  • JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

@trewq know's how to deploy some BANGING HARDWARE. I will one day get one of his prem VPS's. But he is PREM.

Thanked by 1trewq
  • trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

Thanks @dahartigan and everyone else for your kind words. Happy New Year!

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • Here's another bench with the CPU flags passed through. It also reveals that the processor is an E5-2630 v2 which is actually a really decent processor. A little birdie tells me the node has 2 of these in it ;)

OS           : Debian GNU/Linux 9 (64 Bit)
     Virt/Kernel  : KVM / 4.9.0-6-amd64
     CPU Model    : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2630 v2 @ 2.60GHz
     CPU Cores    : 4 @ 2599.998 MHz x86_64 16384 KB Cache
     CPU Flags    : AES-NI Enabled & VM-x/AMD-V Disabled
     Load Average : 0.04, 0.02, 0.00
     Total Space  : 113G (1021M ~1% used)
     Total RAM    : 3955 MB (48 MB + 102 MB Buff in use)
     Total SWAP   : 255 MB (0 MB in use)
     Uptime       : 0 days 0:1
     ASN & ISP    : AS136557, Host Universal Pty Ltd
     Organization : FlowVPS
     Location     : Melbourne, Australia / AU
     Region       : Victoria

## Geekbench v4 CPU Benchmark:

Single Core : 2643  (GOOD)
       Multi Core : 9348

## IO Test

CPU Speed:
        bzip2     :  81.9 MB/s
       sha256     : 158 MB/s
       md5sum     : 379 MB/s

RAM Speed:
       Avg. write : 1718.3 MB/s
       Avg. read  : 4096.0 MB/s

Disk Speed:
       1st run    : 491 MB/s
       2nd run    : 471 MB/s
       3rd run    : 528 MB/s
       -----------------------
       Average    : 496.7 MB/s

## Global Speedtest

Location                       Upload           Download         Ping   
     Speedtest.net                  927.05 Mbit/s    938.09 Mbit/s    1.366 ms
     USA, New York (AT&T)           20.74 Mbit/s     17.50 Mbit/s    211.451 ms
     USA, Chicago (Windstream)      44.46 Mbit/s     74.93 Mbit/s    235.227 ms
     USA, Dallas (Frontier)         61.44 Mbit/s     119.89 Mbit/s   234.241 ms
     USA, Miami (Frontier)          67.49 Mbit/s     144.93 Mbit/s   209.714 ms
     USA, Los Angeles (Spectrum)    66.60 Mbit/s     134.65 Mbit/s   228.318 ms
     UK, London (Community Fibre)   20.59 Mbit/s     71.97 Mbit/s    288.050 ms
     France, Lyon (SFR)             18.50 Mbit/s     44.95 Mbit/s    297.711 ms
     Germany, Berlin (DNS:NET)      17.62 Mbit/s     53.26 Mbit/s    293.224 ms
     Spain, Madrid (MasMovil)       15.09 Mbit/s     46.51 Mbit/s    288.005 ms
     Italy, Rome (Unidata)          18.75 Mbit/s     53.88 Mbit/s    275.713 ms
     Russia, Moscow (MTS)           18.34 Mbit/s     28.35 Mbit/s    330.843 ms
     Israel, Haifa (013Netvision)   14.48 Mbit/s     41.08 Mbit/s    356.295 ms
     India, New Delhi (GIGATEL)     109.67 Mbit/s    324.86 Mbit/s   161.912 ms
     Singapore (FirstMedia)         177.99 Mbit/s    172.28 Mbit/s    82.123 ms
     Japan, Tsukuba (SoftEther)     9.80 Mbit/s      57.45 Mbit/s    222.817 ms
     Australia, Sydney (Yes Optus)  683.12 Mbit/s    814.43 Mbit/s    12.367 ms
     RSA, Randburg (Cool Ideas)     11.70 Mbit/s     15.15 Mbit/s    451.207 ms
     Brazil, Sao Paulo (Criare)     17.48 Mbit/s     49.11 Mbit/s    328.582 ms

Finished in : 11 min 47 sec
     Timestamp   : 2020-01-01 01:45:18 GMT
     Saved in    : /root/speedtest.log

Share results:
     - http://www.speedtest.net/result/8904543778.png
     - https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/15091639
     - https://clbin.com/ZDcXb

:)

Thanked by 1uptime
  • I've transferred my Plex over to see how it performs. So far I'm seeing impressive results :-) The connection to Google Drive is actually faster than what I can get in LA from a different provider, which is a delightful surprise.

Lately I've been going on an AMD kick but these e5 processors pack some serious potassium and are very strong on the plow.

The network impresses me a lot more than I was expecting, but that makes sense because trewq runs his own network and fine tunes his peering in a proactive way. Probably why gdrive is so fast..

If the deal is still active and you don't have one, I urge you to snap one up before the regret kicks in :-)

Thanked by 1poisson
  • @dahartigan said:
    I've transferred my Plex over to see how it performs. So far I'm seeing impressive results :-) The connection to Google Drive is actually faster than what I can get in LA from a different provider, which is a delightful surprise.

Lately I've been going on an AMD kick but these e5 processors pack some serious potassium and are very strong on the plow.

The network impresses me a lot more than I was expecting, but that makes sense because trewq runs his own network and fine tunes his peering in a proactive way. Probably why gdrive is so fast..

If the deal is still active and you don't have one, I urge you to snap one up before the regret kicks in :-)

Looks like premium APAC location

• Waiting for 15 deal

• @cybertech said:
    Waiting for 15 deal

Dont wait! It wont come back!

Thanked by 1cybertech
  • @sonic said:

@cybertech said:
    Waiting for 15 deal

Ok then I won't wait

• @cybertech said:
    Waiting for 15 deal

I'd love to see it come back, but I think we'll probably see flying cars and IPv6 in CC before that happens :)

@poisson said:

@dahartigan said:
    I've transferred my Plex over to see how it performs. So far I'm seeing impressive results :-) The connection to Google Drive is actually faster than what I can get in LA from a different provider, which is a delightful surprise.

Super premium actually. I think most people outside of Australia wouldn't have heard of Melbourne as it's not as famous as Sydney, but it's in a location that makes it really well connected to all of Australia and the APAC region in general.

@cybertech said:

@sonic said:

@cybertech said:
    Waiting for 15 deal

Ok then I won't wait

If you want a good connection to SGP on a powerful server then get this before it's too late. I found that the link for $45/qtr paid quarterly is still valid if you didn't want to go yearly: https://billing.flowvps.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=28&billingcycle=quarterly

Thanked by 2cybertech bdl
  • vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited January 2020

@dahartigan said:

@cybertech said:
    Waiting for 15 deal

I'd love to see it come back, but I think we'll probably see flying cars and IPv6 in CC before that happens :)

@poisson said:

@dahartigan said:

Super premium actually. I think most people outside of Australia wouldn't have heard of Melbourne as it's not as famous as Sydney, but it's in a location that makes it really well connected to all of Australia and the APAC region in general.

@cybertech said:

@sonic said:

@cybertech said:
    Waiting for 15 deal

Ok then I won't wait

If you want a good connection to SGP on a powerful server then get this before it's too late. I found that the link for $45/qtr paid quarterly is still valid if you didn't want to go yearly: https://billing.flowvps.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=28&billingcycle=quarterly

@dahartigan said:

@cybertech said:
    Waiting for 15 deal

@poisson said:

@dahartigan said:

@cybertech said:

@sonic said:

@cybertech said:
    Waiting for 15 deal

Ok then I won't wait

That’s about 31.5 US Dollars per quarter, you may want to check with @trewq about the 10 percent GST/ tax that gets added. If that is a must pay even for non Australia folks, that will push it to nearly 12 US Dollars a month. Still a good deal for the specs!

• This powerful box is so smooth.

• bdlbdl Member

I also love mine - it gives me maj0r b0nar

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • With FlowVps, you go with the flow!!

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited January 2020

Can you please post a fio benchmark? I tried FlowVPS around a year ago and had an issue with very slow disk I/O - my nightly Borg backups were totally killing performance, and Debian package installs/updates were very very slow. dd didn't really show the issue as sequential reads/writes were okay-ish, but fio random read/writes did show it. I ended up moving to a different provider.

Seems like it might be fixed on newer nodes, given your positive results. In that case I might try FlowVPS again.

• @Daniel15 said:
    Can you please post a fio benchmark? I tried FlowVPS around a year ago and had an issue with very slow disk I/O - my nightly Borg backups were totally killing performance, and Debian package installs/updates were very very slow. dd didn't really show the issue as sequential reads/writes were okay-ish, but fio random read/writes did show it. I ended up moving to a different provider.

Seems like it might be fixed on newer nodes, given your positive results. In that case I might try FlowVPS again.

Will do, give me a little bit to organise that and I'll reply back here with the results.

I definitely haven't noticed any sort of performance issues with the storage, so it's possible that it was either isolated or something that's no longer an issue.

@seriesn said:
    With FlowVps, you go with the flow!!

• dahartigandahartigan Member
    edited January 2020

@Daniel15 This first result is from the nvme drive and the second result is for the secondary ssd drive.

First run on NVMe

root@redacted:~/fio-2.0.9# ./fio --randrepeat=1 --ioengine=libaio --direct=1 --gtod_reduce=1 --name=test --filename=test --bs=4k --iodepth=64 --size=4G --readwrite=randrw --rwmixread=75
    test: (g=0): rw=randrw, bs=4K-4K/4K-4K, ioengine=libaio, iodepth=64
    fio-2.0.9
    Starting 1 process
    test: Laying out IO file(s) (1 file(s) / 4096MB)
    Jobs: 1 (f=1): [m] [100.0% done] [190.2M/65910K /s] [48.7K/16.5K iops] [eta 00m:00s]
    test: (groupid=0, jobs=1): err= 0: pid=23140: Sat Jan  4 11:29:36 2020
      read : io=3071.2MB, bw=207675KB/s, iops=51918 , runt= 15143msec
      write: io=1024.1MB, bw=69305KB/s, iops=17326 , runt= 15143msec
      cpu          : usr=18.14%, sys=78.08%, ctx=2552, majf=0, minf=4
      IO depths    : 1=0.1%, 2=0.1%, 4=0.1%, 8=0.1%, 16=0.1%, 32=0.1%, >=64=100.0%
         submit    : 0=0.0%, 4=100.0%, 8=0.0%, 16=0.0%, 32=0.0%, 64=0.0%, >=64=0.0%
         complete  : 0=0.0%, 4=100.0%, 8=0.0%, 16=0.0%, 32=0.0%, 64=0.1%, >=64=0.0%
         issued    : total=r=786206/w=262370/d=0, short=r=0/w=0/d=0

Run status group 0 (all jobs):
       READ: io=3071.2MB, aggrb=207675KB/s, minb=207675KB/s, maxb=207675KB/s, mint=15143msec, maxt=15143msec
      WRITE: io=1024.1MB, aggrb=69304KB/s, minb=69304KB/s, maxb=69304KB/s, mint=15143msec, maxt=15143msec

Disk stats (read/write):
      vda: ios=776662/259125, merge=0/25, ticks=191532/42552, in_queue=210176, util=97.80%
    root@redacted:~/fio-2.0.9# 

Second run on SSD:

root@redacted:~/fio-2.0.9# ./fio --randrepeat=1 --ioengine=libaio --direct=1 --gtod_reduce=1 --name=test --filename=/vdb/test --bs=4k --iodepth=64 --size=4G --readwrite=randrw --rwmixread=75
    test: (g=0): rw=randrw, bs=4K-4K/4K-4K, ioengine=libaio, iodepth=64
    fio-2.0.9
    Starting 1 process
    test: Laying out IO file(s) (1 file(s) / 4096MB)
    Jobs: 1 (f=1): [m] [100.0% done] [155.1M/53077K /s] [39.1K/13.3K iops] [eta 00m:00s]
    test: (groupid=0, jobs=1): err= 0: pid=3673: Sat Jan  4 11:32:04 2020
      read : io=3073.8MB, bw=158103KB/s, iops=39525 , runt= 19908msec
      write: io=1022.3MB, bw=52581KB/s, iops=13145 , runt= 19908msec
      cpu          : usr=16.02%, sys=66.19%, ctx=19559, majf=0, minf=4
      IO depths    : 1=0.1%, 2=0.1%, 4=0.1%, 8=0.1%, 16=0.1%, 32=0.1%, >=64=100.0%
         issued    : total=r=786878/w=261698/d=0, short=r=0/w=0/d=0

READ: io=3073.8MB, aggrb=158102KB/s, minb=158102KB/s, maxb=158102KB/s, mint=19908msec, maxt=19908msec
      WRITE: io=1022.3MB, aggrb=52581KB/s, minb=52581KB/s, maxb=52581KB/s, mint=19908msec, maxt=19908msec

Disk stats (read/write):
      vdb: ios=785179/261248, merge=0/60, ticks=582468/152592, in_queue=669316, util=96.49%

Looks pretty performant to me, perhaps I missed something though, so if you have a particular fio command you'd like to see the results for let me know.

• vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited January 2020

I PM'd @Daniel15 with my results - NVMe only - keep forgetting the SSD. :-)

Edit: Posting the results
    `fio --name=randwrite --ioengine=libaio --iodepth=1 --rw=randwrite --bs=4k --direct=0 --size=256M --numjobs=8 --runtime=30 --group_reporting
    randwrite: (g=0): rw=randwrite, bs=(R) 4096B-4096B, (W) 4096B-4096B, (T) 4096B-4096B, ioengine=libaio, iodepth=1
    fio-3.12
    Starting 8 processes
    randwrite: Laying out IO file (1 file / 256MiB)
    Jobs: 7 (f=7): [w(2),_(1),w(5)][88.9%][w=113MiB/s][w=28.0k IOPS][eta 00m:03s]
    randwrite: (groupid=0, jobs=8): err= 0: pid=818: Fri Jan 3 20:22:01 2020
    write: IOPS=21.5k, BW=83.9MiB/s (87.9MB/s)(2048MiB/24417msec); 0 zone resets
    slat (usec): min=10, max=205236, avg=347.00, stdev=4295.80
    clat (usec): min=3, max=40040, avg= 6.79, stdev=162.34
    lat (usec): min=15, max=205246, avg=357.08, stdev=4300.63
    clat percentiles (usec):
    | 1.00th=[ 4], 5.00th=[ 4], 10.00th=[ 4], 20.00th=[ 4],
    | 30.00th=[ 5], 40.00th=[ 5], 50.00th=[ 5], 60.00th=[ 5],
    | 70.00th=[ 5], 80.00th=[ 5], 90.00th=[ 6], 95.00th=[ 7],
    | 99.00th=[ 16], 99.50th=[ 23], 99.90th=[ 89], 99.95th=[ 188],
    | 99.99th=[11994]
    bw ( KiB/s): min= 2240, max=85660, per=12.27%, avg=10535.51, stdev=12365.05, samples=383
    iops : min= 560, max=21415, avg=2633.84, stdev=3091.27, samples=383
    lat (usec) : 4=25.25%, 10=72.61%, 20=1.58%, 50=0.38%, 100=0.09%
    lat (usec) : 250=0.05%, 500=0.01%, 750=0.01%, 1000=0.01%
    lat (msec) : 2=0.01%, 4=0.01%, 10=0.01%, 20=0.01%, 50=0.01%
    cpu : usr=2.90%, sys=7.92%, ctx=9484, majf=0, minf=83
    IO depths : 1=100.0%, 2=0.0%, 4=0.0%, 8=0.0%, 16=0.0%, 32=0.0%, >=64=0.0%
    submit : 0=0.0%, 4=100.0%, 8=0.0%, 16=0.0%, 32=0.0%, 64=0.0%, >=64=0.0%
    complete : 0=0.0%, 4=100.0%, 8=0.0%, 16=0.0%, 32=0.0%, 64=0.0%, >=64=0.0%
    issued rwts: total=0,524288,0,0 short=0,0,0,0 dropped=0,0,0,0
    latency : target=0, window=0, percentile=100.00%, depth=1

WRITE: bw=83.9MiB/s (87.9MB/s), 83.9MiB/s-83.9MiB/s (87.9MB/s-87.9MB/s), io=2048MiB (2147MB), run=24417-24417msec

Disk stats (read/write):
    vda: ios=0/140000, merge=0/64648, ticks=0/98908, in_queue=99004, util=86.50%`

• dahartigandahartigan Member
    edited January 2020

@vyas11 said:
    I PM'd @Daniel15 with my results - NVMe only - keep forgetting the SSD. :-)

Would you mind sharing them here too? I also wonder if we both just smashed the drives at the same time right now? lol I only did the extra fio test on the SSD because I felt it would be a complete picture of the situation.

Having SSD as a secondary storage is actually premium really, usually it's HDD (sometimes local, otherwise a network storage)

EDIT: I'm going to throw this out there, but if anyone is reading this who has one of these deals but you aren't using the SSD because you're not sure how to set it up, please let me know (you can PM if you like) and I'll put a step by step in here on setting it up.

• @dahartigan can run two more fio tests with the following flags instead:

--bs=64k
    --bs=256k

Just to see how the drives perform when stress tested.

• @poisson said:
    @dahartigan can run two more fio tests with the following flags instead:

--bs=64k
    --bs=256k

Just to see how the drives perform when stress tested.

Sure thing sir.

NVMe 64k

root@redacted:~/fio-2.0.9# ./fio --randrepeat=1 --ioengine=libaio --direct=1 --gtod_reduce=1 --name=test --filename=test --bs=4k --iodepth=64 --size=4G --readwrite=randrw --rwmixread=75 --bs=64k
    test: (g=0): rw=randrw, bs=64K-64K/64K-64K, ioengine=libaio, iodepth=64
    fio-2.0.9
    Starting 1 process
    Jobs: 1 (f=1): [m] [100.0% done] [431.7M/146.9M /s] [6906 /2349  iops] [eta 00m:00s]
    test: (groupid=0, jobs=1): err= 0: pid=7042: Sat Jan  4 11:44:06 2020
      read : io=3072.0MB, bw=439900KB/s, iops=6873 , runt=  7151msec
      write: io=1024.0MB, bw=146633KB/s, iops=2291 , runt=  7151msec
      cpu          : usr=5.96%, sys=26.80%, ctx=8238, majf=0, minf=4
      IO depths    : 1=0.1%, 2=0.1%, 4=0.1%, 8=0.1%, 16=0.1%, 32=0.1%, >=64=99.9%
         issued    : total=r=49152/w=16384/d=0, short=r=0/w=0/d=0

READ: io=3072.0MB, aggrb=439900KB/s, minb=439900KB/s, maxb=439900KB/s, mint=7151msec, maxt=7151msec
      WRITE: io=1024.0MB, aggrb=146633KB/s, minb=146633KB/s, maxb=146633KB/s, mint=7151msec, maxt=7151msec

Disk stats (read/write):
      vda: ios=47411/15835, merge=0/21, ticks=210484/196036, in_queue=353540, util=97.26%

NVMe 256k

root@redacted:~/fio-2.0.9# ./fio --randrepeat=1 --ioengine=libaio --direct=1 --gtod_reduce=1 --name=test --filename=test --bs=4k --iodepth=64 --size=4G --readwrite=randrw --rwmixread=75 --bs=256k
    test: (g=0): rw=randrw, bs=256K-256K/256K-256K, ioengine=libaio, iodepth=64
    fio-2.0.9
    Starting 1 process
    Jobs: 1 (f=1): [m] [100.0% done] [607.9M/199.4M /s] [2431 /797  iops] [eta 00m:00s]
    test: (groupid=0, jobs=1): err= 0: pid=13552: Sat Jan  4 11:45:09 2020
      read : io=3088.8MB, bw=621391KB/s, iops=2427 , runt=  5090msec
      write: io=1007.3MB, bw=202637KB/s, iops=791 , runt=  5090msec
      cpu          : usr=5.13%, sys=16.37%, ctx=5847, majf=0, minf=5
      IO depths    : 1=0.1%, 2=0.1%, 4=0.1%, 8=0.1%, 16=0.1%, 32=0.2%, >=64=99.6%
         issued    : total=r=12355/w=4029/d=0, short=r=0/w=0/d=0

READ: io=3088.8MB, aggrb=621390KB/s, minb=621390KB/s, maxb=621390KB/s, mint=5090msec, maxt=5090msec
      WRITE: io=1007.3MB, aggrb=202637KB/s, minb=202637KB/s, maxb=202637KB/s, mint=5090msec, maxt=5090msec

Disk stats (read/write):
      vda: ios=11840/3861, merge=0/19, ticks=88932/213268, in_queue=284320, util=96.70%

Want SSD too?

• SSD 64k

root@redacted:~/fio-2.0.9# ./fio --randrepeat=1 --ioengine=libaio --direct=1 --gtod_reduce=1 --name=test --filename=/vdb/test --bs=4k --iodepth=64 --size=4G --readwrite=randrw --rwmixread=75 --bs=64k
    test: (g=0): rw=randrw, bs=64K-64K/64K-64K, ioengine=libaio, iodepth=64
    fio-2.0.9
    Starting 1 process
    Jobs: 1 (f=1): [m] [100.0% done] [196.6M/64825K /s] [3143 /1012  iops] [eta 00m:00s]
    test: (groupid=0, jobs=1): err= 0: pid=26492: Sat Jan  4 11:47:43 2020
      read : io=3073.9MB, bw=160994KB/s, iops=2515 , runt= 19551msec
      write: io=1022.2MB, bw=53538KB/s, iops=836 , runt= 19551msec
      cpu          : usr=2.37%, sys=11.92%, ctx=17632, majf=0, minf=4
      IO depths    : 1=0.1%, 2=0.1%, 4=0.1%, 8=0.1%, 16=0.1%, 32=0.1%, >=64=99.9%
         issued    : total=r=49181/w=16355/d=0, short=r=0/w=0/d=0

READ: io=3073.9MB, aggrb=160993KB/s, minb=160993KB/s, maxb=160993KB/s, mint=19551msec, maxt=19551msec
      WRITE: io=1022.2MB, aggrb=53537KB/s, minb=53537KB/s, maxb=53537KB/s, mint=19551msec, maxt=19551msec

Disk stats (read/write):
      vdb: ios=48309/16334, merge=0/96, ticks=1098540/102644, in_queue=1036348, util=98.28%

SSD 256k

root@redacted:~/fio-2.0.9# ./fio --randrepeat=1 --ioengine=libaio --direct=1 --gtod_reduce=1 --name=test --filename=/vdb/test --bs=4k --iodepth=64 --size=4G --readwrite=randrw --rwmixread=75 --bs=256k
    test: (g=0): rw=randrw, bs=256K-256K/256K-256K, ioengine=libaio, iodepth=64
    fio-2.0.9
    Starting 1 process
    Jobs: 1 (f=1): [m] [100.0% done] [274.9M/99598K /s] [1099 /389  iops] [eta 00m:00s]
    test: (groupid=0, jobs=1): err= 0: pid=31559: Sat Jan  4 11:48:34 2020
      read : io=3055.3MB, bw=252447KB/s, iops=986 , runt= 12393msec
      write: io=1040.8MB, bw=85994KB/s, iops=335 , runt= 12393msec
      cpu          : usr=1.61%, sys=5.60%, ctx=3587, majf=0, minf=5
      IO depths    : 1=0.1%, 2=0.1%, 4=0.1%, 8=0.1%, 16=0.1%, 32=0.2%, >=64=99.6%
         issued    : total=r=12221/w=4163/d=0, short=r=0/w=0/d=0

READ: io=3055.3MB, aggrb=252447KB/s, minb=252447KB/s, maxb=252447KB/s, mint=12393msec, maxt=12393msec
      WRITE: io=1040.8MB, aggrb=85994KB/s, minb=85994KB/s, maxb=85994KB/s, mint=12393msec, maxt=12393msec

Disk stats (read/write):
      vdb: ios=12048/4184, merge=0/36, ticks=682804/85988, in_queue=684604, util=96.89%

• vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited January 2020

@dahartigan said:

Would you mind sharing them here too? I also wonder if we both just smashed the drives at the same time right now? lol I only did the extra fio test on the SSD because I felt it would be a complete picture of the situation.

I have updated my above post with the results.

Below is the test using the same parameters you used: 64 K This is NVMe

fio --randrepeat=1 --ioengine=libaio --direct=1 --gtod_reduce=1 --name=test --filename=test --bs=4k --iodepth=64 --size=4G --readwrite=randrw --rwmixread=75 --bs=64k
    test: (g=0): rw=randrw, bs=(R) 64.0KiB-64.0KiB, (W) 64.0KiB-64.0KiB, (T) 64.0KiB-64.0KiB, ioengine=libaio, iodepth=64

fio-3.12
    Starting 1 process
    test: Laying out IO file (1 file / 4096MiB)
    ^Cbs: 1 (f=1): [m(1)][27.0%][r=3008KiB/s][r=47 IOPS][eta 13m:26s]
    fio: terminating on signal 2
    Jobs: 1 (f=1): [m(1)][27.0%][r=769KiB/s][r=12 IOPS][eta 13m:28s]
    test: (groupid=0, jobs=1): err= 0: pid=988: Fri Jan 3 20:52:28 2020
    read: IOPS=44, BW=2851KiB/s (2919kB/s)(832MiB/298721msec)
    bw ( KiB/s): min= 125, max=419712, per=100.00%, avg=5701.31, stdev=36947.02, samples=298
    iops : min= 1, max= 6558, avg=88.52, stdev=577.36, samples=298
    write: IOPS=14, BW=944KiB/s (967kB/s)(275MiB/298721msec); 0 zone resets
    bw ( KiB/s): min= 127, max=142818, per=100.00%, avg=7846.41, stdev=24391.01, samples=71
    iops : min= 1, max= 2231, avg=122.11, stdev=381.17, samples=71
    cpu : usr=0.17%, sys=0.29%, ctx=3719, majf=0, minf=8
    IO depths : 1=0.1%, 2=0.1%, 4=0.1%, 8=0.1%, 16=0.1%, 32=0.2%, >=64=99.6%
    submit : 0=0.0%, 4=100.0%, 8=0.0%, 16=0.0%, 32=0.0%, 64=0.0%, >=64=0.0%
    complete : 0=0.0%, 4=100.0%, 8=0.0%, 16=0.0%, 32=0.0%, 64=0.1%, >=64=0.0%
    issued rwts: total=13307,4407,0,0 short=0,0,0,0 dropped=0,0,0,0
    latency : target=0, window=0, percentile=100.00%, depth=64

READ: bw=2851KiB/s (2919kB/s), 2851KiB/s-2851KiB/s (2919kB/s-2919kB/s), io=832MiB (872MB), run=298721-298721msec
    WRITE: bw=944KiB/s (967kB/s), 944KiB/s-944KiB/s (967kB/s-967kB/s), io=275MiB (289MB), run=298721-298721msec

Disk stats (read/write):
    vda: ios=13415/4479, merge=0/57, ticks=10303152/8055552, in_queue=18390320, util=100.00%

Also, I have posted my BM results (YABS, behcn.sh, nench.sh, Speedtest) on underworldstartup . Will update it later.